    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I did check the voltage on the rails and they looked ok. This voltage
    is a irrelevent if the pwr_ok signal isn't in place. From the
    behavior I'm seeing now I'm pretty sure its the supply. I move this
    supply to an older machine and it wouldn't boot either. In any case
    I'll know by tomorrow as I have a new super tornado (see
    silentpcreview) supply on the way.

    Brad, Jun 23, 2004

  3. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I'm posting this message just to complete the thread for the record.
    When searching Google it seems that the one thing often missing from
    threads is the resolution. My guess is that once the original poster
    fixes the problem they don't post what worked.

    Anyway, I finally have a working system. Unfortunately its not with
    an Abit AN7. While I have no doubt this is a fine board I was unable
    to get either of two copies to run for more than a couple hours. I've
    replaced every component and still wasn't able to get things working.
    I'm not 100% sure what the issue was but the most likely was the
    heatsink.

    I have a SLK800 heatsink. This is a pretty large beast that mounts
    using a back brace and screws (not a clip on). The AN7 board had the
    holes for mounting in the correct places but they screw fit was tight.
    Very tight. In retrospect I should have just sent the board back
    when I realized it wasn't a easy fit. There are also surface mount
    resistors that seem to line with the heatsink. I expect someting was
    damaged or shorted using this.

    On the final board I was testing I could get a boot if I held the
    board suspended by the edges but when I put it down, even on a
    non-conducting surface, it not longer posted. I never did get rid of
    the strange beep codes...on either board.

    So, I finally threw in the towel and ordered an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
    board. I'm not going to go too much into this board as this is an
    Abit group but I must say I'm impressed with the attention to detail
    on the Asus. I've never wanted to spend the extra on their boards but
    it was the only good option I found with everything I wanted. As an
    extra it has two gig ethernet ports.

    Thanks everyone for your help
    Brad

    Brad, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Brad

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Sorry to hear...

    Thanks for the follow up. One can only guess that if the original
    poster hasn't got his problem solved then he comes back to the
    newsgroup for further info. Cant tell though if a suggestion worked
    or problem was solved by other means.

    I suppose its *possible* that Asus has a good newsgroup, hehehe.

    - HAL9000, Jul 2, 2004