    XP3200 processor) ?
    Im looking for a new board as my Asus is so picky with RAM and dont want to
    waste the 1gb i already have.

    Richard Whitcombe, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Richard Whitcombe

    Morgan Guest

    Not heard of the AF7 board but.....

    I certainly would not buy a AN7 as yet. I am reading too many issues and
    problems about these boards with a lot of unhappy people complaining about
    them. There are not enough 'good' posts to offset those as yet for me to
    suggest that they are a good board.
    Instead if you wish to buy an Abit N-Force board it would be the...
    NF7-s
    However if you want a branded board based on that chipset with less
    features, but less cost, then have a look at the Asus A7N8X-X. With the
    issues that you have had with your other Asus board though that might be
    something that you don't want to consider.

    As for your memory question...

    You can download the pdf manual and you will not find, afaik, anything to
    suggest that CAS 3 memory wouldn't work - but why would you think that CAS 3
    memory wouldn't work in the Asus board either...? Could the issue be
    related to the brand rather than the speed...? You will know that you can
    select CAS 3 within the bios for the Asus so the CAS issue should not be an
    issue at all. What issue did you get to make you sure that it was the CAS
    rating..?

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    My noisy drive is noisy no more...
    www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    Morgan, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Although not published officially the Asus board is VERY picky when it comes
    to RAM and theres a lot of suggestion around from people that it wont do
    200MHz FSB with CAS3 setting on memory. Ive tried 2 different brands and
    the same problem, the board wont boot with 2 x 512mb modules and ive tried 2
    of the asus boards with same effect so im fairly sure it doesnt like the
    RAM.

    NF7 i meant not AF7 btw.

    Richard Whitcombe, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Richard Whitcombe

    Morgan Guest

    ....ah I see. I did notice a post from a large Vendor in the UK to suggest
    that of all the n-Force boards on the market it was his opinion that the
    Asus was the most picky in regards to memory. My Asus has ran fine with both
    Crucial and Corsair. Although I'm not using 512mb sticks.

    Morgan, Dec 20, 2003