    Thanks,
    Jim

    ==============

    jlascody, Jul 22, 2004

  2. jlascody

    patrickp Guest

    Just go into your BIOS and disable the fan alert - fyi it's probably
    referred to there as the system fan.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 22, 2004

  3. jlascody

    TonyC Guest

    or run Abit Fan EQ and change the limits.

    TonyC, Jul 22, 2004
  4. jlascody

    jlascody Guest

    I checked the bios already and no alerts are active other than for the
    CPU. I even cross referenced with my other AN7 based computer. But
    I do not expressly remember seeing anything for the SysFan, there was
    a page that you could set up the voltage and fan monitoring but none
    of that was activated.

    I'll recheck it again but do you have any other suggestions. I
    upgraded to the latest available bios just to be sure I wasn't
    missing a setting due to an old version.

    ==============

    jlascody, Jul 22, 2004
  5. jlascody

    patrickp Guest

    I'm not familiar with the AN7, jlascody, but pretty much all current
    mobos would seem to have at least a CPU fan and System fan (the names
    might vary) setting in the BIOS. Failing that, as TonyC suggested,
    maybe you've got some kind of hardware monitor running on your system
    that's doing it?

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 22, 2004
  6. jlascody

    Frank Guest

    Like TonyC said, go into the abit EG setting and lower your limit to the
    lowest possible. You won't hear the siren again.
    Frank

    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Frank, Jul 23, 2004
  7. jlascody

    Leon Rowell Guest

    jlascody,

    After you flashed the BIOS did you remove the power cord from the
    computer and reset the CMOS with the jumper? On some motherboards this
    is very important.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Look for the Thermalright NB-1 chipset heatsink and fan. I've put
    that on all three of my AN7's. Massive heatsink that fits right
    alongside the Thermalright SLK-900A's heatsinks and Zalman 120mm fans
    that I've put on the CPU's.

    You can see it at Newegg.com ($12.99); however, Newegg.com only ships
    to the US and Puerto Rico. Searching for NB-1 doesn't get it. You
    need to search for Thermalright and then scroll to the Thermalright
    Chipset Cooler W/ Fan, Model "NB-1".
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-116&depa=0

    Terry

    Terry Stockdale, Jul 24, 2004
  9. jlascody

    jlascody Guest

    Thanks to all who replied. I appreciated it.

    Yes, when I flashed the bios I pulled the power cord. I followed the
    instructions to a 'T'. The only problem is the lowest setting on the
    ABIT EQ is 2000 rpms -- mine doesn't go lower. And the fan routinely
    goes lower than 2000 rpm. It even has gone down to 400 or so.

    Which brings me to my next question. I've received a Zalman heatsink
    but I wonder if I can even use it. If I leave the NB fan unplugged
    the siren still wails. I reboot and reboot and nothing happens. I
    thought it would recognize the fact that there isn't a fan there. So
    I am reluctant to pull it all apart to install the heat sink when the
    dang siren keeps going off.

    Are there any tricks I am missing to getting the mobo to recognize
    that the fan isn't there and thus it should be quiet.

    Thanks

    ==============

    jlascody, Jul 24, 2004
  10. jlascody

    patrickp Guest

    Your other solution is simply to plug another fan that _does_ run fast
    enough into the header. My own preference, in fact, is to run all
    fans diectly from the PSU, and run the tacho leads (usually the yellow
    wire) from the ones I want monitored to the appropriate headers. That
    works.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jul 24, 2004