AN7 - Won't pass POST Screen anymore - Code 5b - Advice sought!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Wayne Youngman, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    oh dear, I have a problem with this new AN7. It won't go past the initial
    POST screen. The PC powers up fine, and beeps just once (as normal) but then
    it will just stick on the coloured POST screen showing code 5B on the
    motherboard?(looks like 56, but is 5b). I can add that it has been working
    fine for 4 days, but showed this problem about an hour after I first built
    it and powered on.

    The first time this happened I had to do a *Brute-Force* CMOS reset. Clear
    CMOS doesn't work like I am used to with previous ABIT boards, that is
    changing the jumper and removing the power lead from the back of the PSU.
    This board will not reset unless I take out the battery and unplug the ATX
    cable from the motherboard (+12v lead too!).

    Here are the tech specs:

    *SOUL-RIPPER*
    AN7 rev1.0 (BIOS 13)
    T-Bred XP2400+ (AIUHB)
    512MB (Single Stick) Crucial PC3200 (CT6464Z40B)
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT (FireBlade Edition)
    Western Digital S.E 120GB SATA (7,200rpm - 8MB)
    LITE-ON 52x32x52 Burner
    LITE-ON 16x DVD
    ANTEC SX835 II
    ANTEC 350w Smart-Power (Dual Fan)
    4 x 80mm Case fans
    WinXP SP/1
    DX 9.0b
    nVidia Drivers (CD)
    Cat 3.10 (CD)
    SYS: 25°C
    CPU:35°C Idle - 56° Load

    I am doing a *Brute-Force* CMOS reset now, and if that works I will proceed
    to update the BIOS to v.14. Oh dear my Brother is coming to collect this PC
    today. . .bummer.

    Any Ideas?

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Hi,

    OK it's working again now!. Did a complete *Brute-Force* CMOS reset and the
    system works great again. Just to be sure I flashed to the latest BIOS
    (#14) to help prevent this *Code 5b* situation returning.

    Not sure why the AN7 doesn't like to to do a normal Clear CMOS, anyhow the
    situation *seems* to be resolved (for the moment :p)

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Wayne Youngman

    Alex Guest

    Hi,
    what is a *Brute-Force* CMOS reset ?
    Tnx!
    Alex

    Alex, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Wayne Youngman

    TomG Guest

    probably moving the jumper to clear the CMOS and/or pulling the battery with
    all power removed...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Feb 27, 2004

  5. Hi,
    The *Brute-ForceT* CMOS reset is switching the Clear CMOS jumper, taking the
    plug out the back of the PSU, removing the battery from the mobo and finally
    removing the ATX power cable & the 12v cable from the motherboard.

    I have never had to do this before I got the AN7, but it just won't *reset*
    if I do any less. I found this method buried deep in the help section of
    the AN7 manual. . .

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 27, 2004