    Maybe analog/non-light displays could solve such "health" issue's.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Apr 12, 2010

  2. Skybuck Flying

    Ken Hagan Guest

    They do say that e-Ink displays are easier on the eye. To judge from the
    current market, we'll all get the chance to find out in the next few years
    or so.

    Ken Hagan, Apr 12, 2010

  3. Skybuck Flying

    MitchAlsup Guest

    You can and SHOULD turn down the intensity of the TV screen to fit the
    environment in which you are watching it. That is if a human being
    were to stand besides the TV screen with an image of a humam on the
    screen, both should display similar intensity levels and skin tones.
    100% of TVs leaving the factory are set way to bright.

    But the fault is that of the user, wanting colors that are too
    saturated, too bright, and not at all realistick. All TVs that I have
    seen in the past 20 years come with a control unit tha allows the user
    to FIX the color should he not be so blind as he cannot correlate
    reality with TV.

    Mitch

    MitchAlsup, Apr 12, 2010
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Martin Brown Guest

    TVs are typically shipped with default display settings that are way too
    bright, over sharpened and too contrasty with posterised colours. That
    is apparently what the slimy marketeers have determined sells most kit!

    I guess they have to be bright to look good in shop windows.

    You can adjust these settings to get a sensible real looking default
    picture. A few of the newer ones now dynamically vary the back light
    brightness to enhance to total luminance range displayable and/or
    respond to changing ambient light levels automatically.
    I can only agree with you. Some of the better LCD displays use IPS
    panels and they offer a noticeably wider colour gamut. The other
    advantage is that people can see the display with accurate colours from
    a wider range of viewing angles. I find this beneficial too.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Apr 12, 2010
  5. Skybuck Flying

    MooseFET Guest

    Electro-mechanical puppets!

    Only the story line needs to be sent. The computer works out all the
    motions.

    MooseFET, Apr 13, 2010
  6. These days I find it very hard to correlate tv with entertainment.
    It's difficult to believe that anyone could watch most of the crap
    that's on.

    For many years (decades now) I've maintained that the so-called
    "Neilson families", whose viewing habits largely determine US
    television programming, consist mainly of latch-key cats and
    unattended sets.

    George

    George Neuner, Apr 13, 2010
  7. Skybuck Flying

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I was a 'Neilson family' for two years. I took it on as I saw it as my
    chance to make a difference. However, at the time I had a couch-potato flat
    mate who 'watched' 10x more TV than I did so in the end my input made little
    to no difference. :-(

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2010
  8. Now that many, if not most, of us have digital cable boxes, I'm sure
    all that information is available with much finer detail and with much
    larger samples. For example, they might weight TVs that are switched
    between channels very infrequently less heavily, in the expectation
    that nobody is likely watching the screen.

    I'm sure Yakov Smirnoff would have something pithy to say about this
    development.

    Spehro Pefhany, Apr 14, 2010
  9. Skybuck Flying

    krw Guest

    Neilson always did that (counted channel switches and discounted static
    channel selections). You're right though, there is a *lot* more information
    available from set-top boxes, but there is a bias there, too. Satellite
    subscribers aren't counted and neither are the three OTA customers.
    Does TV suck, or what?

    krw, Apr 15, 2010
  10. Skybuck Flying

    nmm1 Guest

    I was a 'Neilson family' for two years. I took it on as I saw it as my
    I always associate Nielsen (the correct spelling) with a resuscitation
    procedure - which seems very appropriate for couch potatoes :)

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

    nmm1, Apr 15, 2010
  11. Yeah, I goofed the spelling. Apologies to Nielsen. No excuse but I
    do know someone whose name is "Neilson".

    Anyway, my own family kept the diary for 3 months one summer, but we
    weren't asked to continue ... probably because our viewing habits
    (well written/acted dramas) were so far outside the norm of reality
    shows and idiot sitcoms.

    George

    George Neuner, Apr 16, 2010
  12. Skybuck Flying

    Skipai Otter Guest

    Yes, that's correct but that doesn't stop many companies from making alarm
    clocks now with bright blue LED backlight stuff. Had to tape over my
    display on a DAB clock radio because of that.

    Skipai Otter, Jun 7, 2010
  13. Or automobile manufacturers from using blue console lighting.

    Completely off topic but,

    <RANT>
    I don't know about other people, but the stupid blue consoles hurt my
    eyes - even turned down to minimum intensity, at night I see
    after-images of the console when I look back to the road. I have
    excellent night vision but my eyes don't re-adjust quickly enough any
    more after looking at a light - I have trouble with oncoming
    headlights too even though I wear yellow lenses to drive.

    I currently have an older car that has orange console lighting (turned
    to minimum intensity - other people get in my car and can barely see
    it) and I hate having to rent a car when I travel. I dread the day my
    car will eventually die because I don't know what to replace it with
    .... it seems that only some really expensive cars have orange (or
    adjustable color) console lighting - almost all mid-range American and
    Asian cars use blue - I've seen a handful of green but no red/orange
    among them. I've never seen any aftermarket kits to change the
    console lighting either.
    </RANT>

    We now return to the regularly scheduled discussion.
    George

    George Neuner, Jun 7, 2010