Ancient history ? P5A and K6/2/III (+) chips any luck ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by R. Asby Dragon, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Says it almost all...
    What BIOS ?

    R. Asby Dragon, Nov 3, 2003

  2. R. Asby Dragon

    Menuz2 Guest

    The lastest bios (I think beta) detected my K6-2+ 550 without a hitch. I am
    now running a K6-III (not plus) and it detects it fine. I have several
    problems with the box: 1) The K6-2+ is a 2V part but it needed 2.1V to run.
    Not a big deal. 2) I seem to have memory problems durning th post. I have
    one memory stick (256M) that is detected as 512M. This causes crashes.
    Under Linux, I tell it what size the memory is so it is not a problem. 3)
    Don't forget to use the low-density memory. 4) There seems to be a bug in
    the some of the later boards. Check out this page:
    http://www.upgradeability.com/K6plus/index.htm?source=Overture for more
    information but I think it is that ...

    .... There is a big problem with the ALI V Chipset Rev G (built in P5A rev
    1.05 and 1.06) and P5A-B rev 1.05. In these mobos the K6-2+ works like a 486
    CPU.

    Nuz

    Menuz2, Nov 3, 2003

  3. R. Asby Dragon

    Paul Guest

    This page also offers advice.

    http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 3, 2003
  4. R. Asby Dragon

    Kyle Brant Guest

    Kyle Brant, Nov 3, 2003
  5. R. Asby Dragon

    ChinnoDog Guest

    I have a P5A-B that I just upgraded to a K6II/500 and it works fine. Its
    running Redhat 9. I had a K6II/333 in it before with no problems. I'm
    pretty sure it is running the latest BIOS. I'm anal-retentive about it. I
    know, big upgrade, right? Its just a toy. =) With a little luck its going
    to be running Freevo and hiding in my living room.

    ChinnoDog, Nov 6, 2003