[ann] Microblaze uClinux Demo released

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by John Williams, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Microblaze uClinux Demo Package Released

    We are pleased to announce the first public release of the Microblaze
    uClinux demo package, available for download from the project web site:

    http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux

    We have ported the uClinux operating system to the Microblaze soft
    processor core, developed by Xilinx for their FPGA family. The demo
    provides an easy-to-use package that demonstrates the progress and
    potential of uClinux running on Microblaze. The uClinux kernel is
    released under the GNU GPL.

    The package contains an operating system image, FPGA bitstreams and
    scripts to get everything working. Currently, the Insight/Memec
    V2MB1000 prototyping boards are supported. If you have a different
    board, contact us and we may be able to help you port the hardware to
    your platform.

    If you have any problems downloading or using the demo, please send an
    email to with the subject "uclinux demo".

    Regards,

    John Williams

    John Williams, Aug 25, 2003

  2. John Williams

    Antti Lukats Guest

    question: if I take the mbvanilla EDK project from your website and
    recompile it for example for ML300 would it work with the supplied
    linux bootimage? I mean if I keep all the peripherals the same
    as in the vanilla design, or is the hardware in the supplied .bit
    images from some other design?

    antti lukats

    Antti Lukats, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Hi Antti,

    It will indeed work - the demo bit file is just mbvanilla targetting the
    V2MB1000. Just make sure you keep the address map the same, eg the
    location of your main RAM bank, which the kernel expects to find at
    0x80000000, for 16 Mb. Also the bootloader expects there to be
    AMD-style flash at 0xFF000000. The source of the bootloader comes with
    the mbvanilla project so you should have no trouble changing that if
    necessary.

    I'm going to freeze the mbvanilla design today, time to move on to the
    next target, so if you check on the website soon you'll find a "golden"
    copy of it that should be very eay to port. I haven't played with an
    ML300 but if it has similar resources to the V2MB1000 then it should
    just be a matter of changing the ucf file and resynthesising.

    I'd be keen to host the ML300 version of mbvanilla once you're done.

    Regards,

    John

    John Williams, Aug 25, 2003
  4. John Williams

    Antti Lukats Guest

    [mbvanilla on ml300 with linux image.bin?]
    ml300 has (lots of things) +
    DDR RAM (no FLASH)
    it is possible to preload the RAM from compact flash, so there is no
    need for flash, and if the linux image expects to see the flash its
    a problem :( I really would not like to write a ip core that 'emulates'
    the non existing flash

    I have looked at mb ulinux several times, but while working on w2k
    workstation it looks very complicated to get all the things to compile.

    antti
    PS I also have memec board with S2 600E and comm160 module there it
    would possible be easier to get the mbvanilla and image.bin to work.

    but,,, the flash on p160comm is not AMD?

    Antti Lukats, Aug 26, 2003
  5. John Williams

    Dan Kegel Guest

    That's pretty cool. I see on your page
    http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux/
    a link to gcc/newlib build instructions, and I gather
    the source for your modified gcc is at http://www.xilinx.com/guest_resources/gnu/
    However, I see no mention of Microblaze
    anywhere in the gcc mailing list archives.
    Is Xilinx planning on contributing their Microblaze port
    back to the GCC project, i.e. have they executed a copyright
    assignment so upcoming versions of gcc can supprt Microblaze out-of-the-box?

    I ask partly because I'm wondering if it's worth folding Microblaze
    support into my generic toolchain build script
    (http://kegel.com/crosstool) or PTXDist. This would be somewhat difficult
    Microblaze used a special hacked version of gcc...
    - Dan

    Dan Kegel, Sep 3, 2003
  6. Hi Dan,
    I'm not sure.
    To do so would be very useful for the microblaze / uClinux community,
    since currently we are unable to build our own toolchains, and are
    somewhat reliant on Xilinx for that. We have the source, but aren't
    really able to build it yet.
    I don't think there's anything too radical in there, but I'm not a gcc
    expert by any means.

    Regards,

    John

    John Williams, Sep 3, 2003