ANNEX Terminal Concentrator

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Nick Havard, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Nick Havard

    Nick Havard Guest

    Hi

    I'm having problems getting a Terminal Concentrator to work. The device is a
    Bay Networks Micro Annex XL. The model number is AXM-D-8-S-173

    I have put it in to test mode, and configured the address uing addr in
    monitor mode. The TC can be pinged from different machines.

    On switching the TC off and then back on, the first 4 lights come on (green,
    green, green, orange), the fifth one blinks constantly, and the sixth one
    blinks occasionally.

    I have tried seaching the Nortel website, but am not having mhuch luck in
    tracking down the problem.

    On the top of the device, is two number. The first is 0010868-992200AD69.
    The second is 3701434-02.

    Could someone let me know what the problem is, and how to rectify it. If you
    need more info let me know as I'd really like to get this working.

    Thanks.

    Regards

    Nick

    P.S. Remove xyz to reply

    Nick Havard, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Nick Havard

    Nick Havard Guest

    Hi

    I think the problem is a missing boot image on the terminal concentrator. Is
    there any way to verify this?

    Could someone tell me where I can get a copy of the necessary software from?
    Is it possible to download it from a working terminal concentrator?

    Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

    Regards

    Nick

    P.S. Remove xyz to reply

    Nick Havard, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Nick Havard

    Nick Havard Guest

    Nick Havard, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Nick Havard

    Leslie Smith Guest

    Hi all :)

    You need to have a comms loader that acts a boot loader for the terminal
    server. the image that you need to set it to load it oper.52.enet. This
    also depends on they type of annex XL you have, some store the image
    locally on flash. Need to know a bit more about the annex, where did you
    get it from and what are you using it for ? Annex's are no longer
    supported by Bay now.

    Let me know if you still need as I work with them all the time.
    Regards

    Leslie...UK:)

    Leslie Smith, Apr 4, 2004
  5. Nick Havard

    Nick Havard Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for taking the time to reply, it was getting kind of lonely talking
    to myself. ;-)

    I've managed to get one booted by using the tftp protocol from a Sun box.
    The downloads previously mentioned had the following files in them, which is
    what I placed in the tftpboot folder on the Sun node and it seems to
    download and boot the image okay. Then I can connect to it.
    oper.42.enet
    oper.52.enet
    oper.55.enet

    It was bought from ebay. I know it's no longer supported, but I expect a lot
    of people have used them over the years and hopefully someone can help me
    out.

    I wish to use it as a terminal concentrator for some Sun Boxes.

    How do I find out which model it is. On the front it has written "Bay
    Networks Micro ANNEX XL". Model and part numbers are in the first message.
    Where I work have a couple of these that are able to boot from themselves.

    I would like to get the TC to boot from itself. How can I find out if this
    particular one has a flash rom for storing the boot rom. If it is possible,
    how can I download the boot image to it and set it up to load from itself.

    Thanks for your help.
    --
    Regards

    Nick

    P.S. Remove xyz to reply

    Nick Havard, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Nick Havard

    Nick Havard Guest

    Hi

    When I go into the monitor (test mode), config shows the following.

    monitor:: config

    REVISION/CONFIGURATION INFORMATION

    Amount of memory 2 Meg
    Board ID 52 - Serial Number
    REV ROM: Maj Rev 99 Min Rev 0
    ROM Software Rev # 0803
    MLB Type: 8s, V24, FMC, Max Speed=57.6 Kbps, Bd ID(1)
    EXPANSION Type : None
    EEPROM size: 32768 bytes
    FLASH PROM size: 1 Meg, MFG IDs (8989,8989)
    PARITY option is not installed
    Twisted Pair alternate interface installed
    Number of ports 8

    monitor::

    Regards.

    --
    Regards

    Nick

    P.S. Remove xyz to reply

    Nick Havard, Apr 4, 2004
  7. Nick Havard

    Raf LaPietra Guest

    If it really is a 370-1434 like you said, then it does have a flash prom.
    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Communication/COMM_Term_Concentr.html

    If you have it booting tftp, you are almost there!

    Just do a "boot -l" to load the image

    Then go back into monitor mode by booting the annex while hoolding down the
    test button.

    from the monitor:: prompt type "seq"
    then choose "self" instead of "net"

    power cycle the annex again and you should be good to go.

    You will then have to configure the serial ports from "admin" mode

    HTH

    -Raf

    Raf LaPietra, Apr 5, 2004
  8. Nick Havard

    Nick Havard Guest

    Hi

    I've found the answer. The sequence wasn't set to self in the monitor.
    Changed that and things seem to be okay.

    --
    Regards

    Nick

    P.S. Remove xyz to reply

    Nick Havard, Apr 5, 2004
  9. Nick Havard

    JackedGopher

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2018
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    1
    I know this thread is old, and I’m sorry for dragging it up, but I have the same issue and the files are no longer being hosted!?! If someone, anyone could help me, I will be eternally greatful. Thanks in advance

    JackedGopher, Jan 4, 2018
    jeffj likes this.