Announce: General Purpose Expansion Board for Altera Eval boards with HSMC.

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Nial Stewart, Dec 5, 2008.

  1. Nial Stewart

    Nial Stewart Guest

    I have posted this to comp.arch.fpga but realised that comp.arch.embedded
    has as likely a target audience. Anyone who's thinking of embedding an
    Altera FPGA and wants to test various IO functionality up front could
    find this useful.

    It could also be a good basis for a wide varietry or educational labs/ be
    generally useful for recording/logging data.....

    Due to the lack of useful IO on the CycloneIII Starter kit we have
    we have developed a general purpose expansion board for Altera's
    new HSMC connector.

    This provides...

    8 * 10 bit ADC Inputs
    8 * 10 bit DAC Outputs
    2 * General Purpose 8 bit Digital IO ports
    3 * RS232 Interfaces
    2 * RS484 Interfaces
    3 * One Wire Interfaces (2 of these can be combined for 5V I2C communications, all 3 can be used as
    jumper selection inputs, they can also be used to 5V RC servo control)
    Micro SD card socket (SPI lines connected)
    Header for an FTDI Vinculum VDIP1 or pin compatible NSD FT245R USB slave board, this can also be
    used as a 16 bit general purpose digital IO header.
    8 * LEDs
    2 * SPI Interfaces

    The SPI headers allow functionality such as the following to be easily added ...
    LCD Screen
    Zigbee Interface
    GPS Interface
    CAN Interface
    LIN Interface
    EEPROM memory
    Stepper motor control.

    Further details here...

    http://www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk/products.htm

    The board has only been tested on the CIII starter kit but should be compatible
    with any eval board with an HSMC connector, I'm trying to get my hands on a
    Stratix dev kit to test it.

    An example app has been posted, this drives most of the interfaces via an
    RS232 link driving internal registers on a local bus. The Uart/control module
    is all fully commented & described in the user guide.

    I've posted a small Python app that can be used to drive this from a PC, I
    will also be posting an Excel app that shows how easy it is to drive things
    from Excel. Anyone with Excel installed should be able to use this without
    installing anything else.

    Constructive comments and feedback are welcome.

    Nial

    Nial Stewart Developments Ltd Tel: +44 131 516 8883
    32/12 Hardengreen Business Park Fax: +44 131 663 8771
    Dalkeith, Midlothian
    EH22 3NX
    www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk

    Nial Stewart, Dec 5, 2008