Annoying problem GA-7N00 Pro - Hangs at HD detection

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Bill L, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Bill L

    Bill L Guest

    Hi all

    I was having problems with a really slow (Cable) connection so decided to
    reset the PC. Only when I started the PC it hung for approx 40 seconds at
    the CPU ID screen - the PC then proceeds to the Drives list screen.

    It now does this everytime I re-boot the PC (warm and cold re-boot) and I'm
    worried this indicates a total system failiure? I've not really tried
    troubleshooting yet but was just wondering if anyone has any idea why a
    seemingly stable and fast-ish sytem should suddenly start acting up?

    TIA

    BillL

    Sys spec/config
    AMD XP1700+ TB(B) @ 2.1 GHz (10.5 x 200 1.55v)
    Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro (Using on-board audio & NIC)
    1 GB MB DIMM PC3200
    Sapphire 9700 (non-pro) (128MB)

    GlobalWin 802 ATX Midi Case
    Antec TruePower 330 Watt PSU

    Primary IDE Channel
    1 x 120 GB Maxtor ATA133 (Master)
    1 x 40 GB IBM ATA66 (slave)

    Secondary IDE Channel
    Liteon 40x12x48x CDRW (Master)
    Liteon 16x DVD (Slave)

    OtherHW
    HP 940C USB Printer
    Epson R300 Photo
    Cannon LiDE30 USB Scanner
    Belkin 7 Port USB HUB
    Hauppauge WinTV PCI

    OS: WinXP Pro SP1

    Bill L, Feb 17, 2004

  2. Bill L

    jpsga Guest

    I'M amazed it works at all .. I would move the FSB to 133 ( page 47 in the
    manual ) and the multiplier to 11 and if that works better. The 1700+ is
    specified at 266MHz.
    JPS

    jpsga, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Bill L

    Bill L Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for the reply and yes I hear what your saying but the PC's been
    running fine for about 5 months now (btw I'm using PC3200 which is rated at
    200MHz FSB).

    It's true I am running the CPU *slightly* out of spec but a 2.2 GHz CPU for
    the price of a 1.47 GHz ;o)

    Temps are 58oC under 100% CPU load btw

    Anyhow now for the good news - the PC appears to have recovered from its
    wobbly and is now booting normally (pixies must have fixed it during the
    night? ;o).

    BillL

    Bill L, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Bill L

    jpsga Guest

    If you have finished with your pixies please send them over.
    JPS

    jpsga, Feb 19, 2004