    this laptop since it is 166mmx technology and Win2000 runs sooooooooooo
    sloooowwwwwwwwwwww...

    Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to find a solution.

    Marty S., Dec 5, 2003

  2. Marty S.

    Rich Johnson Guest

    Rich Johnson, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Is it Windows 98 or Windows 98 S.E. ? If it is win98 that might be the
    problem, as win98 S.E. had some extra features that helped a lot.

    WhatAboutBob?, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Marty S.

    Marty S. Guest

    I've tried this before... if you click on the Win98 link, all you get is a
    driver to undock the unit.

    But thanks... I'll keep trying

    Marty S., Dec 6, 2003
  5. Marty S.

    Marty S. Guest

    Win98SE. <sigh>

    --
    Marty S.
    Baltimore, MD USA

    Marty S., Dec 6, 2003
  6. Marty S.

    Rich Johnson Guest

    Marty:

    Try the Windows 95 drivers (be sure to know if you have the MMX version of
    the Pentium CPU though.), I would bet that they work with Windows 98 as
    well. If not, try installing Win95, do the drivers then use an upgrade disk
    to get to 98SE.

    Rich

    Rich Johnson, Dec 6, 2003
  7. Marty S.

    Marty S. Guest

    Try the Windows 95 drivers (be sure to know if you have the MMX version of

    Nope... when I install Win98 over Win95 it wipes out the Win95 drivers.
    Then, I even went back to reinstall the older Win95 drivers for the PCMCIA
    controllers (the Win95 drivers were dated 1996) but then running the 1996
    drivers the pc card slot still said "Empty" even though I had various types
    of cards in it.

    I've wasted too much time on this computer. I can't get Win98 to recognize
    cards in the PCMCIA card slot, but the slot works in Win2000. But in
    Win2000 the darned thing is just too slow to be useful. Unless I can find
    an inexpensive 64mb RAM chip to upgrade the memory to 80mb (I have 48mb in
    there now) and run Win2000 more efficiently, I'm going to leave the darn
    Omnibook 800ct in a corner of the closet and let the closet monsters use it.

    Thanks for all the suggestions anyway!! I appreciate the help.

    Marty S., Dec 12, 2003
  8. I was playing around with one of these over the Thanksgiving wkend. I was
    trying to get an 802.11b NIC to work, but the win98 drivers would not work
    on win95. So, I upgraded it to win98. I started noticing weird behavior,
    though, with the PCMCIA slots. I could not consistently get cards to be
    recognized in both slots. I think this might have had to do with the
    802.11b NIC being a cardbus adapter. There is a toggle in the BIOS to
    enable/disable cardbus & I can't recall exactly what I tried, what worked,
    and what failed. Anyway, if you haven't played with the BIOS setting, it
    might be worth trying.
    I actually have 3 of these in a box in the closet right now. None are
    functional, though. I've been thinking about trying to get 1 working, using
    the other 2 as parts but haven't found the time. I agree that Win2k would
    be a dog on it, but the 800 make a great portable Linux, box. In fact, if
    you can get 2 NIC's working in it, it would make an excellent
    firewall/router (complete with battery backup, etc).

    -chuck

    Chuck Slivkoff, Dec 15, 2003
  9. Marty S.

    Rich Johnson Guest

    Marty:

    I wonder if WinME upgrade has the necessary drivers? If you have that disk
    you might try it. (Given Win2K works with it, there is a chance ME might
    have the drivers.) By the way, don't let the closet monsters have it, sell
    it on eBay. At least you can get some cash out of it to upgrade to a
    Toshiba Libretto, or Mitsubishi Amity. (Same size and at least are
    pentiums.)

    Rich

    Rich Johnson, Dec 16, 2003