Another laptop battery recall

Discussion in 'Dell' started by georgie, Aug 14, 2006.

  1. georgie

    georgie Guest

    georgie, Aug 14, 2006

  2. georgie

    yirg.kenya Guest

    Which batteries are affected.

    I didn't see that in any of the articles.

    Yirg

    yirg.kenya, Aug 14, 2006

  3. georgie

    georgie Guest

    Won't know until tomorrow...
    excerpt from story on CNET:
    "Customers will be able to go to a Dell Web site
    (http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com) to determine if they need a new
    battery. The Web site is expected to go live tomorrow. Dell also plans
    to launch a toll-free number, 1-866-342-0011, for people affected by
    the situation, IDC analyst Richard Shim said."

    Cheers,
    georgie

    georgie, Aug 15, 2006
  4. georgie

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    <paste>

    The safety agency said the batteries were not unique to Dell, meaning that
    other companies using Sony batteries may also have to issue recalls. Sony
    has sold its batteries to most of the major computer makers.

    <end>

    Looks like Dell is doing the right thing and calling for all possible
    batteries affected to be replaced. Given that Sony is the vendor, I'd expect
    HP, Compaq, Sony, and others to follow suit shortly.

    S.Lewis, Aug 15, 2006
  5. georgie

    dscience78 Guest

    My computer does not have the Sony logo on it. Is my laptop requiring
    the recall?

    dscience78, Aug 15, 2006
  6. georgie

    dscience78, Aug 15, 2006
  7. the new dell battery is detailed here... check that your battery is not on
    the list.
    https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx
    the batteries were potentially sold with the following notebook computers as
    well as batteries purchased separately.
    a.. Latitude: D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800, D810
    a.. Inspiron: 500M, 510M, 600M, 700M, 710M, 6000, 6400, 8500, 8600, 9100,
    9200, 9300, 9400, E1505, E1705
    a.. Precision: M20, M60, M70, M90
    a.. XPS: XPS, XPS Gen2, XPS M170, XPS M1710

    Christopher Muto, Aug 15, 2006
  8. It would not be your entire laptop and the batteries in question have a Dell
    name on them but were manufactured by Sony. Visit the web site for more info
    on how to ID the affected batteries. FWIW, my Inspiron was purchased around
    Christmas 2005 and does not have one of the affected batteries.

    Regards,
    John O.

    John Ochenduszko [JJOchen], Aug 15, 2006
  9. Rob Nicholson, Aug 16, 2006
  10. georgie

    rebel Guest

    rebel, Aug 25, 2006