    any comments on either model???

    tks.

    - brian

    brian, May 2, 2005

  2. Depends whether you want power/known-good or style :)

    The first thing to note is that the Antec has one huge 12V rail, and the
    CoolerMaster has a 3-way split. This is due to EPS12V 2.1 spec requiring
    that all PSUs comply with IEC 60950-1, which essentially stipulates that
    there should be no lines capable of supplying more than ~220W. This limits
    the 12V rails to 18A each. The CoolerMaster only does 30A on the 12V, so
    should (IMO) have gone with an 18A/12A split. Instead they went with a
    12A/12A/6A 3-way split. Given that even a 2-way split causes problems with
    some dual-processor boards, I'd be very cautious about using the
    CoolerMaster in such a situation. The Antec shows complete disregard for the
    safety regulations and will happily pump out 36A from a single 12V rail.
    This can be a bad thing if something gets close to shorting out (400W of
    energy being pumped into anything is generally bad), but also provides
    marginally better rail stability.

    As far as the actual power outputs go, the Antec has a slight lead on the
    CoolerMaster. Additionally, it's known to be an incredible power supply,
    capable of running pretty much anything (dual overclocked Xeons? No problem.
    SLI? Doesn't even notice). I'm using one at the moment to power a dual Duron
    system; a complete waste of the power but I'm intending to keep it for my
    next major system upgrade (whenever that occurs). The Cooler Master has less
    of a track record, having only come out last month, but certainly looks a
    lot nicer and is quiter than the Antec.

    However, unless you're building something that actually needs such immense
    amounts of power (or reliability; I'd definately choose the Antec over the
    Cooler Master for a server), either PSU will do the job fine. At which point
    it comes down to which one suits you better and the prices involved.

    [...]

    Michael Brown, May 2, 2005

  3. brian

    CSE Guest

    I think you will find the Cooler Masters is a ACbell

    http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/ps2_550W_gold.pdf

    http://www.acbel.com/

    CSE, May 3, 2005
  4. brian

    brian Guest

    ummm... they look similar, but I don't think so.

    the max loads on the 12v rails of the AcBel are 12A,22A,14A while the
    max loads on the Cooler Master are 18A,20A,10A. the AcBel doesn't have
    all of the connectors that the Cooler Master does, either.
    interesting...

    I wonder how either the Cooler Master or the AcBel would hold up in an
    SLI system.

    - brian

    brian, May 3, 2005
  5. brian

    CSE Guest

    The Reason I thought was because the Power Switch and power socket are the
    same place,plus they have very similar specs..

    Even the blanking plate for the None PFC model is in the same place

    Toms hardware did a good review on the 450w Cooler Master..

    http://www.tomshardware.com/firstlook/20040830/index.html

    Plus some more

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html

    Plus Xbit Labs have some reviews on PSU.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/atx-psu.html

    and

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/powerful-psu.html

    OCZ do have PSU's with 5 year Warrantees..

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_powerstream_power_supply

    CSE, May 3, 2005
  6. brian

    brian Guest

    brian, May 4, 2005
  7. brian

    CSE Guest

    I can't see why SLI has any thing to do with a PSU.

    The Single 12V is Illegal and not part of the ATX 2.1 or 2.2 Specs

    Separate regulated 12V supplies are far far better.

    Hard Drive have a very high startup current and having there own feeds are a
    lot better.

    Even big computer systems have the same problem with hard drives and use a
    startup delay to each hard drive..

    CSE, May 4, 2005
  8. CSE wrote:
    [...]
    I don't beleive I've seen any testing, reasonable or not, that showed that a
    split-rail PSU was any better or worse (voltage stability or ripple wise)
    than a single-rail PSU. On the other hand, there are several dual-Xeon
    boards that are known to not be stable with split-rail supplies once you hit
    about 3GHz. From a purely theoretical perspective, a single large rail
    handles load changes better, and as far as I can tell, safety regulations
    are the main reason behind split rails.

    [...]

    Michael Brown, May 5, 2005
  9. brian

    Rick Guest

    That claim is downright silly.

    Rick, May 5, 2005
  10. Perhaps I need to be more precise. Start with two identical devices, A and
    B, each consuming a constant 8 amps. Consider two PSUs: one with two rails
    of 12A each and one with a single rail of 24A. Given two identical devices,
    A and B, the sensible configuration for the split-rail PSU is one device per
    rail, and the only configuration for the single-rail PSU is both on one
    rail. Assume that all three rails have the same hold time curve (the usual
    theoretical one for buck regulators) with respect to the maximum rated
    current with respect to their maximum rated current. If device A instantly
    increases it's current draw by 2A then in the average case:
    {} On the split-rail setup, device A will see a voltage drop of a certain
    amount (since current usage has increased by 25%), device B will experience
    no voltage drop.
    {} On the single-rail setup, device A will see a smaller voltage drop, and
    device B will see an identical voltage drop. This voltage drop will be
    slightly more than half the voltage drop experienced by device A in the
    split-rail setup.

    Sum-of-squares-wise, the single-rail setup will have a smaller deviation
    from ideal than the split-rail setup. Additionally, the maximum deviation
    from the ideal voltage will be smaller, which is a good thing. The benefit
    of a split-rail configuration is that one of the devices (device B in this
    case) experiences no (or in most cases, minimal) deviation from the ideal
    voltage. IMO the single-rail situation is preferable in most situations, as
    it's usually the maximum deviation that gets you stability wise, as opposed
    to noise on the power line. OTOH, if you are pushing your PSU right to the
    limit, such that out-of-tolerance voltage sags would occur on a single-rail
    setup, then a dual-rail setup would possibly be preferred as it would
    isolate a problem spike to a single rail (though the size of the deviation
    would be much larger than a single rail setup, which could cause additional
    problems).

    Better? :)

    Michael Brown, May 5, 2005