    Is there any freeware anti virus that is any good ??AVG ???
    thanks
    larry

    LaRrY, Aug 12, 2005

  2. LaRrY

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Aug 12, 2005

  3. LaRrY

    Notan Guest

    Notan, Aug 12, 2005
  4. LaRrY

    LaRrY Guest

    LaRrY, Aug 12, 2005
  5. LaRrY

    S.Lewis Guest

    Notan,

    Tell me what you know or have experienced with AVAST. I see they have over
    2+ million downloads at CNET.

    I'm going to bring this down just in case AVG decides to stop offering free
    home installs. (ie- like CA did with InoculateIT a few years ago).

    Perhaps I'll remove AVG and try this for a bit....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 12, 2005
  6. LaRrY

    Notan Guest

    I haven't had a whole lot of experience with it...

    I installed it on my wife's computer and a laptop that I'm using strictly
    for home automation. So far, it's caught a handful of viruses on each of
    the systems.

    I'd love to ramble on, about how good or bad it is, but I can't. While,
    as I said it's caught virus attacks on two systems, it's tough to do an
    A-B comparison of antivirus products, unless you're exposing all systems
    to the same attacks. While the magazines have the resources to do that,
    I don't.

    What the hell! Go for it! Give it a try!

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 12, 2005
  7. LaRrY

    Hank Arnold Guest

    When are people going to buy software based on what works best, not whether
    it's free or not??? There are a lot of varying opinions, for example on some
    packages like NAV, but with rebates, it's always less than $50. It's even
    free if you are upgrading and get it at the right time. It continually
    amazes me that people get all hung up about spending $50 to protect their
    $1-2K computers from viruses that can trash the entire system......

    Hank Arnold, Aug 12, 2005
  8. Becuase those "free" anti-viruses do work. Keep in mind many of them
    are only free for home users and are practically identical to the
    commercial versions licensed to companies. They're offered for free in
    the hope that people will use them at home, see how well they work and
    hopefully vring them to the workplace (which is similar to why MS
    doesn't give a shit about some college student pirating Office -- big
    business licenses is where the real money is). I do agree hat you get
    what you pay for, but frequently all that you pay for is a name. Most
    peiple would argue that Norton & McAfee have become particularly bloated
    these days even if they were free, they wouldn't use them (I certainly
    wouldn't).
    When you consider how many people have thousands of dollars of
    possessions "protected" by a lock on their front door that cost under
    $50 at Home Depot, the fact that they aren't willing to spend $50 on an
    anti-virus software shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

    Nicholas Andrade, Aug 12, 2005
  9. LaRrY

    S.Lewis Guest

    When Norton or McAfee produce a current version of their products that will
    work on everything from a 5-year old Celeron 600 with 64mb of RAM to current
    P4 systems, I'll use it.

    AVG works. It works especially well on machines that are older (usually
    that have Norton or McAfee expired subs), have little or no
    horsepower/resources to float a hugely invasive AV in the systray.

    Install NAV or McAfee on one of these granny boxes and then tell me it is a
    practical, workable solution. Those users would be forced to spend for the
    AV as well as a nice RAM upgrade -if- the box is capable of one.

    It's not whether or not it's free, it's all about if it actually -works-.
    (*and I paid for CA InoculateIT/ETrust for over 3 years until they had 2
    major security loopholes located in less than 3 months in the program....)

    Stew

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 12, 2005
  10. Not to mention the value of what's on their HDD's. Losing mine would be
    a major PITA.

    Sparky Spartacus, Aug 12, 2005
  11. LaRrY

    Tweek Guest

    Along with what other people said, Mcafee and Norton simply do not work as
    well as the free ones, especially AVG in my experience. Also AntiVir is
    another good one. I have worked on countless machines that have updated
    versions of either Norton or Mcafee and AVG still finds viruses. AVG will
    catch lots of spyware and malware trying to install too. Norton especially
    is a huge bloated mess. It takes forever to install and uninstall and unless
    it is being installed on a fresh install of windows the potential for
    problems is great. I have a machine right here that Norton refuses to work
    properly on. This machine is free of viruses and spyware or other issues.
    NIS installs, but liveupdate won't work and unless NIS is disabled blocks
    all internet access no matter how the firewall is configured. I have
    reinstalled it four times. I used SymNRT, deleted all the symantec folders
    and registry entries that are still there even after an uninstall and the
    problem persists. The machine works fine with AVG and Sygate personal
    firewall, both free programs. What I need is a Norton Anti-Norton program.
    I had a machine awhile back that I spent most of the day uninstalling and
    reinstalling NIS and every time it was installed, it had a different error
    or problem. Not fun.

    Tweek, Aug 12, 2005
  12. LaRrY

    Leythos Guest

    Interesting that you found the above:

    We manage the IT for several sororities, of all the machines moving into
    the house each year, the only clean machines we've ever seen were those
    running Norton AV with updated and valid subscriptions.

    We've found countless compromised McAfee and CA and others that were
    just undetected by their updated scans.

    We also install AVG as a means to check machines, the Norton ones come
    back clean when properly updated and running a current version, none of
    the others have. Now, I should also state that some of the Norton
    installs are not clean, but that's where the user has never updated the
    definitions and they are often more than a year old - while also running
    P2P apps on the same box.

    As for Symantec, I've never had a box running the Corporate Version
    compromised.

    Leythos, Aug 12, 2005
  13. LaRrY

    Matt Wiggins Guest

    Matt Wiggins, Aug 12, 2005
  14. LaRrY

    MLD Guest

    Be advised that Avast will prevent the automatic creation of System Restore
    points. I like the program and for now am routinely making manual restore
    points.
    MLD

    MLD, Aug 12, 2005
  15. LaRrY

    MLD Guest

    Be advised that Avast will prevent the creation of automatic System Restore
    points. I like the program, it seems to be doing a good job, and for now
    am making manual restore points.
    MLD

    MLD, Aug 12, 2005
  16. LaRrY

    Notan Guest

    Norton works, but the cost is a *huge* drain on system resources.

    Unless you're running a system with unlimited resources, the impact
    is significant.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 12, 2005
  17. LaRrY

    Notan Guest

    Not at all!

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 12, 2005
  18. LaRrY

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Norton will *NOT* slow down a properly configured and well-maintained
    computer.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 12, 2005
  19. LaRrY

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Once again, on a healthy machine that is properly maintained, Norton does
    not drain resources and does not slow a healthy system down. We need to
    stop perpetuating the myth that Norton is a resource hog. It is not, if
    certain guidelines are followed.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 12, 2005
  20. LaRrY

    Notan Guest

    If you were right, I'd agree with you. <g>

    For some recent feedback on NIS, head over to microsoft.public.security
    and search for "NORTON," "NIS," etc., or have a look at a recent thread,
    "NIS or XP firewall."

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 12, 2005