    I agree, on a properly uncompromised Norton Antivirus (not NIS or NSW)
    does not impact the system any more than other full time, full featured,
    Antivirus scanners.

    Leythos, Aug 12, 2005

  2. LaRrY

    Leythos Guest

    NIS is a total pig, but, if you only install Norton Antivirus, then it's
    not a resource issue at all. NIS should not be installed on any system.
    The stand-alone Norton Antivirs product is fine and works better than
    most products like it.

    Leythos, Aug 12, 2005

  3. LaRrY

    Notan Guest

    If that's the case, I stand corrected.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Yes, it will. Just yesterday I got fed up with it, uninstalled and
    expunged it, and installed TrendMicro's PC Cillin. A scan that took 30
    minutes with Norton took about 12 with Trend - and Trend picked up some
    issues that Norton missed.

    If you have access to the September issue of Consumer Reports, they have
    an extensive review of security software. Norton was decidely middling
    in performance - better than McAfee, but an order of magnitude behind
    the leader (Trend).

    Edward J. Neth, Aug 12, 2005
  5. LaRrY

    Nick Guest

    Butter pecan tastes better than any other flavor ice cream.

    <This is an IQ test...>

    --
    Nick <mailto:>

    "My mind is already made up. I do not want any facts,
    as they would simply confuse me." M.E.

    (Sig stolen from the "Organization of Paranoid Anarchists For A Better
    World Filled With Peace and Harmony And Free Lunches For All Coming Real
    Soon Now".)

    Nick, Aug 13, 2005
  6. LaRrY

    Tweek Guest

    Now that is funny. I installed NIS for a customer and once I got it running
    properly (after about 10 reinstalls) I sent it home with him. He called me
    and said he could no longer burn cd's. He was getting (8x drive, no burn
    proof) buffer underrun errors. I had him use msconfig to disable all the
    norton services and he was able to burn disks fine. He ended up getting a
    new cd burner that has buffer underrun protection.

    Tweek, Aug 13, 2005
  7. LaRrY

    S.Lewis Guest

    MLD -

    So to be effective, it disables system restore - ? If so, when disabled,
    *all* restore points are lost no matter if they were created manually or
    automatically (by Windows....)

    ?

    I can see unlocking and making *all* files available for scanning, but to
    entirely lose system restore would be a fairly heavy price for doing so,
    imo.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 13, 2005
  8. LaRrY

    S.Lewis Guest

    I strongly disagree. Whether it be Norton 2005 or NIS, they both take a
    heavy toll on most any P4 generation box that I've seen. McAfee 8 is only
    slightly better.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 13, 2005
  9. LaRrY

    S.Lewis Guest

    Norton is a shameless, resource hogging, registry populating, startup
    consuming - PIG.

    Period.

    We simply disagree (probably in the strongest possible terms).

    Regards,

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 13, 2005
  10. LaRrY

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Enough.............. If you would read my comments, you would see that I
    said "....buy software based on what works best, not whether it's free...".
    There was no attempt to push one program over another. If you think one
    program is better than another, then go forth and multiply....

    This has, as usual, degraded into an emotional, pointless discussion. Thank
    God for OE's "Ignore Conversation" .....

    Hank Arnold, Aug 13, 2005
  11. LaRrY

    John Guest

    Okay I failed the test but NOD32 tastes great AND is less filling!

    http://www.nod32.com

    John, Aug 13, 2005
  12. LaRrY

    Notan Guest

    I agree. Good reviews, good real life catches, low on system resources.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 13, 2005
  13. LaRrY

    Notan Guest

    .... and, on the few times I've needed to contact Tech Support, they've
    not only been free(!), they've been friendly, courteous, and helpful,
    something the "biggies" certainly can't claim.

    Notan

    Notan, Aug 13, 2005
  14. LaRrY

    louise Guest

    I found Avast does slow it down - but not as much as Norton.

    If you're willing to pay, take a look at NOD32 - excellent and
    doesn't slow down my machine hardly at all.

    BTW, the free Avast does not include script blocking.

    Louise

    louise, Aug 15, 2005
  15. LaRrY

    louise Guest

    Are you sure of this? Is there a place I can verify it? I need to
    do so because I just installed the free version on someone's
    machine and I wouldn't do that if system restore points were no
    longer going to be created; these people wont do it manually.

    Louise

    louise, Aug 15, 2005
  16. LaRrY

    louise Guest

    Me too - just started using it after NAV followed by brief sojourns
    with Trend and Avast. When I tried NOD32, I knew I needed to look
    no further - my entire system speeded up.

    Also, emailed their tech support with a question and received a
    coherent and intelligent answer back within about 4 hours.

    Louise

    louise, Aug 15, 2005
  17. LaRrY

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    On a healthy, properly configured computer, Norton AV does not slow it down.
    It will scan most executable files before opening, so that the files take
    slightly longer to open, but this is what you want!
    It will also scan Word and Excel files before opening them, as they can
    contain malicious code in the form of macros. On day to day operation, NAV
    does not impact system performance operation at the OS level. It is only on
    systems that are not healthy, or are not properly maintained, that issues
    arise with the installation of programs like AV.

    I recently retired as a Sysadmin for a company that had nearly 2000 computer
    networked. All ran some form or another of Norton Internet Security or
    Norton Antivirus. Because the machines were strictly controlled, were kept
    in a healthy state, and were maintained on a regular basis, the
    Symantec/Norton products had no impact on system performance, other than the
    aforementioned pre-execution scan.

    If you install any A/V program and it has no impact on some aspect of
    performance, then it is not doing it's job.

    You cannot have a piece of software that monitors all the other code on your
    system and not have it affect your system in some way.

    I can tell you this...from my past experience, I can tell you that both AVG
    and Avast do not provide as comprehensive and up-to-date protection as does
    Norton.

    My recommendation to anyone asking the questions you have is this;

    First, find out what underlying problems that you have and correct them, and
    then install NAV. It is simply the best AV program out there.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 15, 2005
  18. LaRrY

    MLD Guest

    Yes I'm sure. Verify it two ways. One--no more System Restore points being
    created. You can make manual restore points and if you have an windows
    update installed there will be a Restore Point. Two, disable Avast and
    after about 2 hours or so providing the Idle time requirement was met. there
    will be an automatic SR Point.
    MLD

    MLD, Aug 15, 2005
  19. It's been my experience, that the greatest issue with Norton, et al, is
    on machines that started with NAV 2000 to 2004 and were regularly upgrade
    with later versions. Some remnants of previous versions seem to hang around
    and cause issues with the current version. However if you use the full
    suite of removal options (Win-add/remove Programs, and follow the full
    instructions from Norton, to include using their program removal tools).
    You can get a clean machine install a new copy of NAV without issues. At
    least that's worked on a number of machines I've worked on that seemed to
    have special issues with NAV.

    KC

    Kevin Childers, Aug 19, 2005