    Thank you for any help.

    PS. I also send this message to comp.home.automation.

    With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail:

    Roman Mashak, Jul 6, 2004

  2. X10?

    DM McGowan II, Jul 6, 2004

  3. The absence of a standard doesn't mean a technology is not mature.
    A standard tends to be the worst mix of all sometimes conflicting
    proposals. The absence of a standard allows you to select the
    technology that suits your application most and you don't have to use
    a standardized one-suits-all solution with the worst possible
    specifications.
    As said then, the low data rate solutions are working reliably for slow
    sensor data. If you need a higher data rate, an ethernet cabling could
    also make sense.
    Wireless is just increasing the electronic noise level present in the
    surrounding and should not be considered for this reason plus that it
    can be tapped and faked unless care is taken.
    Forget infrared. It required sight and therefore doesn't pass walls.

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Meindert Sprang, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Roman Mashak

    Alan Balmer Guest

    Interesting, but pretty expensive for home automation. I'd check out
    X-10.

    Alan Balmer, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Roman Mashak

    Joerg Guest

    Hi Roman,

    There was an article in CommsDesign about a new version that combines
    PLC and wireless. However, I am skeptical until some major manufacturer
    offers reasonably priced gear with that or their own standard.

    Wireless may work in Europe and other places. In America and other
    countries where homes are wood frame constructed it is not so optimal in
    all cases. The reason is that outside walls and walls towards the garage
    are often insulated with fiber that is backed with aluminum foil. A good
    indicator of the problems is to walk around with a modern 2.4GHz or 5GHz
    cordless phone. Usually it quits when going outside, into the garage or
    into a section of the house that angles off the main part.

    Regards, Joerg

    http://www.analogconsultants.com

    Joerg, Jul 6, 2004