    comparibly priced Athlon X2?

    Thanks,
    John

    johnfofawn, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Assuming you're talking about the S939 1xx Opterons, there's no real need
    to. A 165 (1.8 GHz, 1MB L2 per core) is slightly slower than the X2 3800+
    (due to the slower speed, but helped slightly by the extra L2), and the 170
    (2.0GHz, 1MB L2 per core) is very slightly faster than the X2 3800+ (due to
    the extra L2). Overclocking-wise, they do about as well as the 1MB L2 X2's
    (which is all they are, just rebadged 4400's and 4800's).

    Even the S940 Opterons will be nearly exactly the same performance-wise, but
    have slightly lower overall performance due to having ot use registered RAM.

    Michael Brown, Nov 17, 2005

  3. johnfofawn

    Cal Vanize Guest

    From the specs, the 1XX series of Opterons would appear to be very
    similar to Athlon 64 San Diegos. Is there any reason to think their
    performance would very much from the San Diego 64s?

    Cal Vanize, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Cal Vanize wrote:
    [...]
    Nope, given the S939 1xx single-core Opterons ARE San Diegos :) Remember
    that all non-mobile A64s come off the same assembly line, have exactly the
    same core (give or take some cache), and are only differentiated by things
    like extra HT links enabled and which PCB they are mounted on (S754, S939,
    or S940).

    Michael Brown, Nov 18, 2005
  5. johnfofawn

    johnfofawn Guest

    Thank you very much for the information! I really appreciate your help!

    Yes, I am considering the 1xx Opterons and S939 MB's. I should have
    stated that. Thanks for assuming.

    Given the following prices from NewEgg and based on the info above, the
    Opteron 170 is only slightly faster than the 3800+ X2. It's probably
    not $78 faster, so the 3800+ is the better choice. Would you agree?

    Opteron 170 2.0 GHz (Retail) $402
    3800+ X2 2.0 GHz (Retail) $322
    4200+ X2 2.2 GHz (Retail) $400
    4400+ X2 2.2 GHz (Retail) $497

    Thanks!
    John

    johnfofawn, Nov 18, 2005
  6. johnfofawn

    johnfofawn Guest

    I like Asus Motherboards.

    I'm looking at the A8N32-SLI and the A8N-SLI services. None of these
    boards list the Opteron chips as supported. Are they supported?

    Thanks!
    John

    johnfofawn, Nov 18, 2005
  7. I don't know. But I do know that some ASRock boards 'officially'
    support Opterons, see, e.g.
    <http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/show.asp?Model=939Dual-SATA2>

    As you like Asus boards - perhaps you like boards of Asus' little
    value daughter, too?

    Gert

    Gert Elstermann, Nov 18, 2005