    plug anything on the USB chain is getting incredibly annoying...).

    Anyone have any experiences with this board they could share?

    Thanks!

    news.qwest.net, Feb 5, 2008

  2. news.qwest.net

    John E Guest

    Yup, as of last Thursday. I mostly like it. I'm not a hard-core gamer, which
    is the target audience for this motherboard - but I like the quality
    components, and the (almost) silence due to the passive Northbridge and
    Southbridge cooling. It is endlessly tweakable, but that requires a bit more
    understanding of the implications of all the possible tweaks - it isn't as
    simple as the Asus AI NOS, although there is something called AI booster,
    and CPU 'Level up' which instantly configures everything as if you had a
    faster processor. With a core-2 duo processor (I have an E6850) not
    overclocked, and with the case fans configured with Q-fan, it runs cool and
    very quiet.

    It has a handy CMOS clear button on the backplane - so it is very easy to
    clear the CMOS if it won't boot after overclocking.

    I'm not using RAID - my last three machines have all used RAID 0, but I've
    come to the conclusion that it is just too much hassle when I pass the
    machine on to No. 2 son, and have to reconfigure it all; so I bought a 750GB
    Samsung drive, and although that isn't so fast in benchmarks, there is no
    noticeable difference in everyday use. I've configured it as AHCI, rather
    than IDE and benchmarks suggest that that is slower for sequential reads and
    writes than IDE, but faster for random R/W.

    John

    John E, Feb 5, 2008

  3. news.qwest.net

    milleron Guest

    I'm always glad to learn of someone who ditches RAID because it's
    "just too much hassle" and gives "no noticeable difference in everyday
    use." RAID 1 makes marvelous sense for many users. It's my belief
    that RAID 0 has been the single most overrated "innovation" for DIY
    builders for the last 7 or 8 years. It works wonders . . . for about
    5% of those who have it installed (those running applications that can
    truly benefit from RAID 0). For everyone else, it's just an
    additional hassle at OS installation, approximately doubles the
    likelihood of problems from HD failure, and leads, as you say, to "no
    noticeable difference in everyday use."

    milleron, Feb 5, 2008
  4. news.qwest.net

    William Guest

    ASUS just announced a new board the P5E3 Premium WiFi-AP that looks allot
    closer to the features of the P5W DH Deluxe. Their is a comparison between
    the P5E3 and Rampage Formula found at:
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080205PR201.html

    I too, am interested in replacing my P5W DH Deluxe. It's just been to
    unstable for my liking. I threw new faster ram at it in hope of settling it
    down, it helped, but things are still not stable from boot to boot for my
    taste. The Rampage Formula series just don't have the I/O I want, and no
    Wi-Fi. I will be watching the P5E3 as it is reviewed to see how things go.

    William

    William, Feb 6, 2008
  5. news.qwest.net

    John Lewis Guest

    Raid0 is a hassle for the dummies that:-

    (a) decide to put their boot partition on RAID0 ( F6 install and all
    that trash. Pictured by me as a bootstrap firmly encircling the
    owner's neck and just waiting to be yanked into a complete
    system crash by a disc glitch. Nice to know that there are
    those who are very happy burning vast quantities of time
    re-installing their whole OS and drivers.and anything else on
    the C: drive.... because they are usually the same dummies
    that do not observe paragraph (c) below.

    (b) decide to use more than 2 disks in a RAID0 configuration
    on a <<desktop>> for some crazy notion of "bragging-rights",
    since there is little measurable benefit over 2 disks..with
    diminishing data-rate returns, due to overhead elsewhere in the
    system, while still multiplying the potential failure rate by
    the number of disks involved.

    (c) Fail to back up all critical information, whether on RAID0 or
    not.

    I have been running a RAID0 configuration with 2 250Gbyte
    disks on a A8N32-SLI (nForce4 X16) with ZERO problems for the past
    couple of years. Used solely for software benefitting from short load
    times, both games and professional software. And definitely NOT
    used for my system-partition. My C: drive resides on a third disk.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 6, 2008
  6. Hopefully we can also figure out how to get Speedfan working with this
    board...

    I am still working on figuring out why some of my fans are showing 30k+ RPMs
    (I think there a sound barrier broken somewhere near there!).

    news.qwest.net, Feb 6, 2008
  7. news.qwest.net

    Supernews Guest

    speedfan
    Try config > advanced
    hit dropdown for your "winbond" and change divisor.
    =======================

    Supernews, Feb 7, 2008
  8. news.qwest.net

    John Lewis Guest

    Why bother ? You are like the doctor who walks around with a
    stethoscope in his ears with the other end firmly planted on his
    chest. Check the default fan speeds on BIOS. And set the sundry
    BIOS alarms to taste. Then enjoy your computing.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 7, 2008
  9. Change the divisor to what?

    news.qwest.net, Feb 12, 2008