    I'm just worried they they did something during fabrication to disable
    the extra four pipes - obviously trying to piece stuff together at .13
    micron will be impossible for people like us.

    zerang shah, May 10, 2004

  2. zerang shah

    Bratboy Guest

    Your worry is justified. ATI has said thier disabled at HW lvl so a hack
    wont work anymore. That said who knows but according to ATI thats the
    situation. Most likely the pipes are disabled on the Chip itself so the
    chances of a solder to unlock would be impossible

    Bratboy, May 10, 2004

  3. zerang shah

    DaveW Guest

    I'm afraid you're out of luck. You CANNOT solder at the .13 micron level,
    which would be required.

    DaveW, May 11, 2004
  4. zerang shah

    Dan Guest

    Im sorry. I think I can remeber the the pro and the xt being both, 16
    pipeslines?

    Dan

    Dan, May 11, 2004
  5. zerang shah

    RipFlex Guest

    The x800 pro 12 pipes and the x800 XT is 16. nuff said. Want 16 pipelines
    fork out $100 more or wait until the cards are almost obsolete and buy one
    then.

    RipFlex, May 11, 2004
  6. zerang shah

    bp Guest

    By then you're going to want the 32 pipe version. ;(

    bp, May 11, 2004
  7. zerang shah

    LostSoul Guest

    Id settle for a full pipe :)

    LostSoul, May 11, 2004
  8. zerang shah

    J. Clarke Guest

    Of course you can--you just need the right tools.

    J. Clarke, May 11, 2004
  9. Cutting is much easier than soldering though.

    --
    www.Co30.com
    "Careful with that Axe Eugene."

    Mudfish\(Co30\), May 11, 2004
  10. zerang shah

    Sham B Guest

    Yeah, you only need an electron microscope and really steady hands.

    Sham B, May 11, 2004
  11. zerang shah

    Asestar Guest

    Not to forget an ultra portable, laser beam that can cut .13 micron :)

    Asestar, May 11, 2004
  12. zerang shah

    J. Clarke Guest

    Why use a laser when you have an electron beam already running that can both
    cut and weld?

    As for steadiness of the hands, that's what waldos and precision positioning
    equipment are for.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2004
  13. zerang shah

    Asestar Guest

    That electron beam is just for you to "see" what you are aiming at. :) It
    does not cut or weld anything, except perhaps uranium neuclei if aimed
    correctly :)

    And then run the hell out of the city.. asap !

    Asestar, May 12, 2004
  14. zerang shah

    J. Clarke Guest

    Depends on what tool you're using. Electron beams are routinely used to
    both cut and weld. And with a scanning tunnelling microscope you can even
    put your joint together one atom at a time.
    Sorry, but to fission uranium takes neutrons. An electron beam unless it's
    got a Hell of a lot of power behind it will not penetrate the electron
    shells of a uranium atom and even if it did the result would not be
    fission.

    J. Clarke, May 12, 2004
  15. zerang shah

    Asestar Guest

    Damn.. i knew there would be some people who'd go technical, and point that
    out :) Oh well, better sooner than later..

    As for Scanning-Tunneling, it acts as 2 different tools. Sure it can move
    atoms held in the tweezer, but moving 1 atom at a time would take ages to do
    a *simple* 0.13micron cut or weld, right? I mean we need to move atleast
    thousands of atoms out of the way. So that's why i suggested high precision
    laser beam.

    Asestar, May 12, 2004
  16. zerang shah

    Bratboy Guest

    So lets see, go out and get $1,000's in equipment to save $100 on a card
    hehe. Thats almost Bushian in its logic.

    Bratboy, May 12, 2004
  17. zerang shah

    J. Clarke Guest

    The point is that there are tools in existence that allow this--the details
    don't really matter unless one has a few million bucks to throw around.

    J. Clarke, May 13, 2004
  18. Then again, if you had that money to throw around you MIGHT just not go for
    the cheap version of the card ;)

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, May 14, 2004
  19. hehe... Use the laser one more time. I want some of what ever your smoking in
    the pipe!

    Danny Greaves, May 14, 2004
  20. zerang shah

    Asestar Guest

    Hmm.. let's see.. first, i don't smoke. If you want to smoke something
    *good*, try smoking some burning plastic. It would taste worse than tobacco,
    and it will even kill you faster! How better can smoking get?

    Asestar, May 14, 2004