    Are there any checksums ?
    Are there differences between FAT-12, FAT-16, FAT-32 and NTFS?
    Juergen

    Juergen Marquardt, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Juergen Marquardt

    Sergio Masci Guest

    The boot sector is loaded by the BIOS. The BIOS does not know about file
    systems (FAT, NTFS etc). The code in the boot sector is responsible for
    disc. Yes there are checks to prevent the BIOS loading and executing
    garbage.

    Regards
    Sergio Masci

    http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler

    Sergio Masci, Sep 6, 2004

  3. disc. Yes there are checks to prevent the BIOS loading and executing
    Not much of a check, though - just looking for two bytes set to a magic
    value! The BIOS _ALSO_ knows nothing of the MBR structure except for
    those two blessed bytes that indicate a "bootable" disk.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Sep 6, 2004