    Is there a preference or 'defaults write' command that can be used to
    set the extension that Apple uses for newly-created JPEGs? I
    appreciate any help.

    Jack Shown, Mar 9, 2010

  2. The extension is determined by the application that creates the file. So
    far as I know, the only extensions used for jepgs are .jpg and .jpeg. What
    extension do you want to use, and from which application?

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 10, 2010

  3. Jack Shown

    dorayme Guest

    <
    Newly created like how? If you have a picture, for example, in a
    tiff or Photoshop format and you export to jpg, this is new but
    you would be asked to name it at the time of save, at which time
    would name it with the .jpg at the end (this being simplest
    extension). If you name it without the extension, some programs
    will let you and others will add the extension anyway despite
    your effort in the save text field.

    If you want files that have the .jpg extension to open in a
    particular program, you can Get Info from File Menu, or command
    I, and look down where you can set what program you want that
    file to open with, and then press Select all.

    dorayme, Mar 10, 2010
  4. Jack Shown

    Jack Shown Guest

    Michelle and dorayme,

    Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. When using Safari and I drag an
    image off the web, OSX (or Safari) takes the original filename and
    decides to give it an extra extension. Thus, someimage.JPG becomes
    someimage.JPG.jpeg. However, when I drag my own images from my own
    websites, this doesn't happen so perhaps it is something to do with
    Windows filenames? However, I am sure that it happens in other
    applications besides Safari -- I cannot recall at the moment every
    instance that this occurs. Thanks for your help.

    Jack Shown, Mar 10, 2010
  5. Jack Shown

    Guest Guest

    it's probably the web server. does it happen with all sites or just
    some? i just dragged a jpeg off a photo sharing site and it worked
    properly.

    Guest, Mar 10, 2010
  6. Jack Shown

    Jack Shown Guest

    What made me think it might be Windows is that Windows does seem to
    create filenames with uppercase extensions e.g. .JPG -- with that in
    mind, I remembered a jpeg that a Windows user recently emailed me.
    Using webmail (horde), I dragged the attached .JPG off and the
    extension got the added .jpeg -- maybe horde is doing this? But,
    typically, I don't drag images from attachments.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Jack Shown, Mar 10, 2010
  7. Can you please provide a specific example; a URL where this happens?

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 10, 2010
  8. Jack Shown

    Jack Shown Guest

    Thanks for your further replies, Michelle & dorayme. I just
    remembered another instance where this happens. I just scanned a
    document using Image Capture and named the file myimage.jpg but, of
    course, Image Capture decided that the file should be appropriately
    named myimage.jpg.jpeg so it doesn't even have anything to do with the
    uppercase used by Windows.

    I'm using 10.5.8 at home and 10.6.2 at work. Thus, it happens on both
    OSes. It certainly isn't anything I've added because,
    excepting .html, I don't generally like 4-char extensions.

    Thanks again.

    Jack Shown, Mar 10, 2010
  9. Image capture automatically adds the extension, so it added it to the name
    you gave the image. Because you named the image "myimage.jpg", it appended
    "jpeg" to that name.

    What version of Mac OS are you using? The current version defaults to
    saving images as png images, not jpegs. (But this can be changed either
    with the command line or a number of different utilities.)

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 10, 2010
  10. Jack Shown

    Warren Oates Guest

    Really? I've been messing around with this stuff pretty seriously for 20
    odd (very odd) years and I've never come across that.

    Warren Oates, Mar 11, 2010
  11. Jack Shown

    Jack Shown Guest

    Well, yeah. Most applications, as I'm sure you are aware, do not
    intrude like that and shouldn't.

    10.5.8 at home and 10.6.2 at my office.

    Good point! I haven't ever seen .PNG become .PNG.png or anything
    other than the extension I gave it. All this post was about was to
    ask if there was any way to stop Apple from being so intrusive when
    naming files.

    Jack Shown, Mar 11, 2010
  12. Maybe you should drop a little note to Steve-O. I'm sure he'll have his
    people get right on it.

    Michael Vilain, Mar 11, 2010
  13. Actually, the application should append the extension appropriate for the
    kind of file it is. And almost all of them do.
    The best thing to do is just let the applications and the system do their
    thing regarding name extensions.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 11, 2010
  14. Jack Shown

    Jack Shown Guest

    I did. He wrote back and said, try this:

    defaults domains |defaults read |grep jpeg

    Of course, figuring out the right 'defaults write' command to overcome
    the intrusive jpeg extension is the next step.

    Jack Shown, Mar 11, 2010
  15. Jack Shown

    Jack Shown Guest

    That's not true. Most of them attach an extension based on your
    choice of a filetype from the pop-up menu. And besides, you are
    referring to a file dialog box where I could, just prior to clicking
    Save, manipulate the filename as I saw fit. I can't do that when I
    drag a file from a website. One exception to what I state above is
    Image Capture which acts *after* the file save dialog box and
    intrusively adds .jpeg.

    Why? The world is multi-platform. I've supported over 200 users for
    over 20 years on multiple platforms and I can't tell you how many
    times I've fixed an issue for someone simply by changing an
    extension. You'll recall that OS9 did not even use extensions and,
    rightly, tried to rid the world of such a backward naming convention.
    Now Apple has apparently taken the opposite stance on the issue. I
    have no problem with that really but it is hardly user-friendly when
    software acts entirely on its own in something as important to the
    user as filenames.

    Jack Shown, Mar 11, 2010
  16. Yup; they attach the extension based on the kind of file that it is. The
    fact that you choose what kind of file it is doesn't change that.
    Right; you can name the file whatever you want to name it, and the software
    then appends the appropriate name extension to that name.
    Right again; the file already has a name, and the system retains that name.
    By the way, I have never seen it give a double extension as you have
    described. You've been asked for a URL where this happens, but haven't
    bothered to reply with one.
    It appends ".jpeg" to the name of a jpeg file, and that's intrusive?
    I think that you have answered your own question. With the system affixing
    the proper name extension, there is much less chance of the user mistyping
    the extension or typing the wrong extension.
    I see it as the software saving the user from the drudgery of having to
    remember what kind of file it is, and then type the name extension manually.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 12, 2010