    Needs to be low-power and compact, so I thought about a PIC but something
    else may be better

    Thanks in advance

    Pidur, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Pidur

    hamilton Guest

    Have you ever seen a PIC with two serial ports ??

    One of the serial ports may have to be bit banged.

    What speed are the two serial ports ??

    How "low-power" and "how compact" ??

    hamilton, Jan 7, 2004

  3. There are some 18F parts with two UARTs, probably SMT-only though.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany

    Spehro Pefhany, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Pidur

    Leon Heller Guest

    What speed do you need? As was suggested, you can 'bit bang' a second
    serial port when using one of the smaller PICs but the speed will be
    limited. If you need high-speed comms on both ports you could interface
    a second UART like a Maxim SPI device. I've done this to add an
    additional serial port to a mid-range PIC.

    A better solution might be to use a Philips LPC210x ARM which has two
    UARTs and 128k of on-chip flash. The LPC210x is smaller than most PICs,
    much easier to program and not much more expensive. You'd just have to
    add a second MAX3232 device to my little LPC210x ARM board to produce
    what you want - 10 minutes work and a bit of programming.

    Leon

    Leon Heller, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Pidur

    CBarn24050 Guest

    Hi, there are several micros that have 2 ports and 64k+ built in flash.
    Hitachi, fujitsu, cygnal etc.

    CBarn24050, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Pidur

    Mike Page Guest

    Do you need 2 complete UARTS ? Or 1/2 TX and 1 RX ?

    If you do need 2 uarts, take a look at the MSP430F149 and similar
    devices. They're certainly low power and comparable in price to PICs.

    Mike Page, Jan 7, 2004
  7. Pidur

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Pidur

    Chon Tang Guest

    You might also be interested in TERN's FlashCore-B product:

    http://www.tern.com/fc_b.htm

    $99 in single quantities, and as low as $34 in OEM quantities, the FB
    has 2 RS-232 ports, and a CF interface capable of working with SanDisk
    cards up to 2 GB in size. With a FAT12/16 filesystem, there's the
    added advantage that the data can be easily accessed right off a
    PC/PDA's CF drive.

    From a power perspective, about [email protected] normal operating mode.

    Chon Tang, Jan 7, 2004