1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Any device to connect home wired Ethernet to outside 802.11??

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by MMM42, Nov 7, 2004.

  1. MMM42

    MMM42 Guest

    Is there any wireless device (802.11 type. compatible with WiFi
    hot spots) that would interface to the outside WiFi network and
    connect local devices with Ethernet cable, i.e. it would act as a
    router, firewall for local wired dekstops/laptops and provide access
    to Internet through a single 802.11 port. It would be a *reverse* of
    the popular Linksys wireless router that connects to Internet through
    a wired port.
    MMM42, Nov 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. MMM42

    J. Clarke Guest

    It's not clear what exactly you're looking for that a Linksys, Netgear,
    Belkin, or other brand of WAP with switch doesn't provide.
    J. Clarke, Nov 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. MMM42

    MMM42 Guest

    Are you saying that I can take a wireless router like Linksys WRT54G
    that mentions only one interface to backbone Internet through its
    wired Ethernet port and then use it in reverse, i.e. use its wireless
    interface for backbone Internet and connect a laptop to the router
    with an Ethernet cable. Manual does not mention such a setup.
    MMM42, Nov 7, 2004
  4. MMM42

    J. Clarke Guest

    Connect the laptop to one of the switch ports. The WRT54G has four of them.
    J. Clarke, Nov 8, 2004
  5. MMM42

    MMM42 Guest

    It has also one port for power supply!??%^*^??
    Frankly, leave the subject to folks who know more about wireless.
    MMM42, Nov 8, 2004
  6. MMM42

    J. Clarke Guest

    I'm not sure I understand what point you think you are making about having a
    port for the power supply. The device in question, if you will be kind
    enough to go to the Netgear site and look at the datasheet, is a
    multipurpose device combining a four port Fast Ethernet switch, an 802.11g
    WAP, and a NAT router with some other bells and whistles providing a fifth
    Ethernet port. He can connect his laptop to any of the four ports of the
    Fast Ethernet switch and it will be able to access devices connected via
    J. Clarke, Nov 8, 2004
  7. What you want is a wireless bridge. Linksys, DLink, and I would bet many
    others make them. The ideal one would be one that is the same manufacturer
    as the WAP of the originating network.
    Richard Johnson, Nov 8, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.