Any difference in performance between PC100 and PC133 speeds on Windows XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by drj, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. drj

    drj Guest

    Hi. my neighbor has an older Dell Dimension 4100 system and it has a
    Celeron 1Ghz processor and 256MB PC100 RAM with Windows XP Pro
    installed on it. I've seen the Pentium III 1.0 Ghz CPUs out there but
    still too steep. However I understand that if installed, the front
    side bus speed on both the memory and the CPU will be 133 instead of
    100. However, because of the price, I would like to know if changing
    my Celeron 1Ghz CPU to a Pentium III 1 Ghz CPU for an increase in bus
    speed is worth the trouble or if there will be no noticable difference
    between PC100 and PC133 in Windows XP PRO. Below is further specs
    about the two DIMMs installed in the Dell Dimension 4100. Both the
    DIMMs seem to be PC133 type but are running at PC100 speed because of
    the CPU of course.

    CPU-Z version 1.21
    Memory Modules Serial Presence Detect (SPD)

    Module #1

    General
    Memory type SDRAM
    Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (ADFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    Size 128 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
    Part number 76V16635HGT8-H

    Attributes
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no

    Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 100 133
    CAS# 2.0 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
    RAS# Precharge 2 3
    TRAS# 5 6

    Module #2

    General
    Memory type SDRAM
    Manufacturer (ID) Hyundai Electronics (ADFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
    Size 128 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC133 (133 MHz)
    Part number 71V16635AT8-H

    Attributes
    Number of banks 1
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no

    Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 100 133
    CAS# 2.0 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
    RAS# Precharge 2 3
    TRAS# 5 6

    drj, Apr 2, 2004

  2. drj

    S.Lewis Guest

    No. Unless someone gives you the PIII or sells it to you ridiculously cheap,
    don't waste the money.

    See more benefit from maxxing the RAM at 512 and letting it all be until the
    machine is due for replacement.

    I just recently upgraded my wife's from 256mb to 512. It's a Dim4100 with
    XP Pro and the 1GHz/PIII CPU.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 2, 2004

  3. drj

    drj Guest

    Hmmm, my neighbor and I are not really sure about going from 256MB to
    512MB be it at PC100 or PC133 speeds since there comes a point at
    which the speed of the memory is as important as is the amount which
    was why I was originally focusing on getting the most speed out of our
    existing 256MB RAM in that machine. Since there seems to be little if
    any difference between PC100 and PC133 as you pointed out, I take it
    that it is best to leave the 4100 in its current state if my neighbor
    and I are not interested in increasing the RAM from 256 MB to 512 MB,
    correct?

    P.S.: For 512MB RAM, I'd much rather get a Pentium 4 system since I
    can then get 512MB RAM running at 400 or even 533 as the base bus
    speed. After all, the more the RAM, the faster you'd want it to
    perform or it would feel like just another hard drive.

    drj, Apr 2, 2004
  4. drj

    RazYMan Guest

    I wouldn't worry about that little difference in memory speed.

    How long do you plan on keeping the system? Increasing the memory to 512MB
    would be the only thing economically worth doing. The speed difference
    would be undetectable. But increasing the memory to 512MB and minimizing or
    eliminating paging would make a real difference in performance.

    OR

    Sell the system for $100 at a yard sale and take the money, plus your
    upgrade money and empty beer bottle money and buy a new system.

    OR

    You could live with it as long as it is does what you need it to do. Saving
    a few bucks a week to buy the new system

    RazYMan, Apr 2, 2004
  5. drj

    SQLit Guest

    Sounds like a lot of nonsense for not much if any gain to me. If there is a
    difference it will not be very noticeable. Me thinks your applications would
    be more important that XP.

    Your bus speed is partially governed by your motherboard as well. So just
    changing the processor would have miniscule improvement. Your ram would
    still be running that the same speed... If it is free why not

    SQLit, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Simply adding 256 or 512MB of ram may be the best value...

    www.JimWilliamson.net, Apr 2, 2004
  7. drj

    drj Guest

    Thanks everyone for your input.

    P.S.: I got an email this morning with a link to clear up even more
    confusion about the differences between PC100 and PC133 in terms of
    performance. It seems that most PC133 DIMMs come in the form of CAS3
    for PC133 CAS2 for PC100. I'm told that the only way to notice the
    difference between PC100 and PC133 is when I compare PC100 at CAS2 to
    PC133 at CAS2 and even then the difference appears to be minimal as I
    looked up the game tweaking archives on the net as was suggested since
    games are usually the only place one would even notice any difference
    between PC100 and PC133. The same thing seems to be the case for the
    processors. Even though the Celeron 1.1 Ghz is PC100 with 128k L2
    cache and 4-way associative while the Pentium III 1.0 Ghz is PC133
    with 256k L2 cache and 8-way associative as I am getting to know some
    more about this, amazingly I found no difference whatsoever even on
    the recent games such as Unreal Tournament 2003, Max Payne 2, and
    others after I found the benchmark results on the Internet.

    drj, Apr 2, 2004
  8. drj

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    For me, the difference in performance from 256mb to 512mb (max amount) in
    the 4100 was/is worth it. The machine responds more crisply to a notable
    degree. The difference was enough that I'm currently eyeing ebay for another
    256mb SODIMM for my Latitude CPxJ650 (PIII, 100mhz FSB).

    A lot of these decisions will hinge on your personal use and preferences.
    On these two machines, I just want to get another 2-3 useful years out of
    them with our modest demands.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 3, 2004