    For e-mail contact and other, see:
    http://www.uzipaz.com

    Uzi, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Uzi

    zirconx9 Guest

    I would be very interested in any info on the K8U also. Am considering
    purchasing it.

    Thanks!

    zirconx9, Nov 30, 2005

  3. I have one coming on Wednesday, and will probably install it over
    the weekend. I'll report back with the results.

    Even though I probably won't need it, I'm looking for a site that
    explains how to manually tweak all of the BIOS settings related
    to all of the various clock speeds and multipliers. Seems this info
    is rather hard to come by. Google search yields minimal info and
    mostly relating to older boards.

    Later!

    6U

    Six Underground, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Uzi

    Goliiat Guest

    Jako Six Underground, dnia 2006-03-07 04:44, napisales:
    My friend asked me to upgrade her PC and i choose K8U with sempron 2600+

    and I've got a lot of problems, but maybe you know haw to slowe any of it :
    blus screens " to prevent computer damage the system was
    halted"(translation from polish the mgs can look diferent in eng. system)

    i've updated bios to F6, that slove the blue screens but it started to
    hang :( I think that it was becouse of FineTune software...

    I've noticed that it loose HD some times, choosing CS or M didn't love
    the problem. I've connected second HD on that same ribbon cable (even
    without the power) it seems to work.

    Unsloved problems:
    When I plug usb 2.0 device to USB 1 computer restarts and reaports
    driver error
    I use chipset driver v2.0921 from gigabyte.

    Any ideas?

    Goliiat, Mar 8, 2006
  5. Uzi

    Goliiat Guest

    Jako Six Underground, dnia 2006-03-07 04:44, napisales:
    My friend asked me to upgrade her PC and i choose K8U with sempron 2600+

    and I've got a lot of problems, but maybe you know haw to slowe any of
    them :
    blue screens :" to prevent computer damage the system was
    halted"(translation from polish so the mgs can look diferent in eng. system)

    Goliiat, Mar 8, 2006
  6. This is actually covered in the manual. They say to use the Windows
    drivers that come with the service pack. You have to remove the USB
    port in device manager, then restart the system to allow it to detect
    the new drivers. Look on page 47 of the manual for the exact
    instructions.

    6U

    Six Underground, Mar 9, 2006
  7. I installed this board last night, removed it, and am back on my
    GA-8i848P-G Intel board.

    Big, big problems with the K8U. Recognized all my drives okay
    and passed the memory test (Microsoft Windiag). No problems
    doing a clean install of Windows XP SP2. The trouble started
    when I began to install my apps. I installed ZoneAlarm, the firewall
    that I'm using right now, and it choked on it. Whenever ZoneAlarm
    began loading, my machine would power cycle... off, then on, and
    another attempt to load, another power cycle, etc. I had to go into
    safe mode to remove ZoneAlarm to get Windows to load. Yuck.
    The system also reported "Windows severe error detection". Similar
    error message occurred with AVast anti-virus. That kind of
    instability was unacceptable, so I removed the motherboard and put the
    Intel board back in. No problems at all with this one with the same
    apps installed. I'll be contacting Gigabyte support. Don't expect a
    reply soon, though. I'm told they're terrible with support issues.
    BTW, the bios on the motherboard was the latest... F5.

    Will update when I have more info.

    Later!

    6U

    Six Underground, Mar 12, 2006
  8. Gigabyte was no help with this issue. I RMA'd the board to Newegg
    and they just sent me a replacement.

    The good news is that the board is stable and everything works
    fine so far. The bad news is that they sent me an OLD board as
    a replacement. The first board had a version F5 BIOS and a driver
    set version 1.2. The replacement board had an F3 BIOS and
    a driver version of 1.1. Why are they sending out these ancient
    boards? Do they only do this to customers who RMA? The last
    thing a person wants to deal with on a brand new mainboard install
    is doing a BIOS flash, and one certainly doesn't want to load
    outdated drivers. Fortunately, I had an updated driver CD in
    my archive so I was able to use it. I downloaded the BIOS from
    Gigabyte's web site. Newegg is going to get an earfull from me
    on Monday.

    As far as the crashing on ZoneAlarm, this is a known issue with
    version 4.5x on a 64 bit processor. (from Microsoft's web site)
    Avast AV is running just fine.

    Will post another update in about a week. Hang tight.

    Regards;

    6U

    Six Underground, Apr 1, 2006
  9. This is a nice, stable board, but I wouldn't recommend it for
    beginners or overclockers. If you order one, be sure they send
    you a fresh board that has the latest BIOS (F5) and a version 1.2
    driver CD. Go into BIOS and check your CPU clock multiplier and
    CAS latency to make sure they're correct. The CPU idles at
    around 37 C with the stock HSF and Arctic Silver.

    One other thing. If you have a keyboard with a power switch on
    it, the BIOS doesn't support this function. You only have the
    option of "any key" or "mouse" power on. I found this strange
    since my Gigabyte Intel board supports it.

    Have fun!

    6U

    Six Underground, Apr 10, 2006