    supposed to fit the FX5900 as well, however Zalman says that a fan is
    needed with the 5900 even so. So unless you want to water-cool or build
    a custom heat-pipe cooler it looks like you're stuck with a fan.

    J.Clarke, Oct 12, 2003

  2. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    Depends on the dimensions of the radiator--if it's large enough to
    provide adequate cooling by natural convection no fan is required.

    J.Clarke, Oct 12, 2003

  3. J.Clarke

    Nic Guest

    Thanx in advance...

    Nic, Oct 12, 2003
  4. J.Clarke

    John Russell Guest

    MSI have a fanless 5600 but anything more powerful would be a tad hot.

    John Russell, Oct 12, 2003
  5. J.Clarke

    Morgan Guest

    Morgan, Oct 12, 2003
  6. J.Clarke

    aNdy Guest

    Yes but this card is.....................£610 ($900)

    aNdy, Oct 12, 2003
  7. J.Clarke

    John Russell Guest

    Plus the cost of converting to water cooling in you don't have it!

    John Russell, Oct 12, 2003
  8. J.Clarke

    Morgan Guest

    Yes I agree - must be great for those who already have the kit but still I
    would sooner have the ATI anyway at half the cost. I wonder just how many
    people have bought that Gainward at that price....!!!!

    --
    Regards

    Morgan

    My noisy drive is now fixed....
    http://www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

    Morgan, Oct 12, 2003
  9. J.Clarke

    Lenny Guest

    Not that I understand why anyone would prefer a 5900 over a 9800, but
    whatever floats your boat man... ;)

    Zalman's newest heatpipe cooler can deal with a 5900 IF it is cooled by a
    fan, which makes it NOT fanless... So no, there really aren't any. Eve a
    watercooled card needs a fan on the radiator.

    Anyway, Zalman's fan is really so quiet you won't hear it in a closed case
    so you might as well call it fanless...

    I must say again I still can't understand why anyone would want a 5900 over
    a 9800... ;)

    Lenny, Oct 12, 2003
  10. J.Clarke

    Lenny Guest

    Problem is, there isn't such a product available on the market, and even if
    there was, it would be damn difficult fitting it in a PC case. A 5900 burns
    60+ watts even without overclocking, that's a lot of heat...

    Lenny, Oct 12, 2003
  11. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    If you mean a packaged kit there probably isn't. But until recently
    liquid-cooled systems were homebrew and I tend to think in those
    terms. To take a case of extreme overkill you can go down to the local
    Chevy dealer (or the local junk yard) and pick up a Corvette radiator,
    which can dissipate the several hundred kilowatts of waste heat that
    that engine puts out at full power--such a radiator is quite adequate to
    keep a 400 watt PC cool using natural convection. Oil cooler
    radiators are of a more convenient size but still have quite a lot of
    cooling capacity. In addition to car radiators and oil coolers, at any
    decent junk yard you can find an assortment of air conditioner
    evaporators and condensers, refrigerator condensers, and assorted other
    heat-transfer devices of all sizes.

    And there is no need to fit the radiator _in_ the case--one of the
    advantages of liquid cooling is that the radiator can be placed remotely
    from the machine.

    In absolute terms 60 watts isn't that much--it's a single small light
    bulb.

    J.Clarke, Oct 13, 2003
  12. J.Clarke

    Darthy Guest

    I have a spanking new MSI 5900Ultra which as two Large, but slow
    moving fans.. It *IS* not the loudest thing in my computer... the
    WD120GB is not loud... but its more noticalbe than the GF5900.

    With it next to the CPU & Power supply, the GF5900 by MSI is SILENT!!

    Check it out:

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030714/vga_card_guide-73.html

    And I bought it for $335 from Pricewatch.com

    Darthy, Oct 13, 2003
  13. J.Clarke

    Tim Miser Guest

    No you didn't.

    Tim Miser, Oct 13, 2003
  14. J.Clarke

    Nada Guest

    Now that's some butt-burning heat dissipation going on there. What's
    Radeon 9800's current heat situation in comparison?

    Nada, Oct 13, 2003
  15. J.Clarke

    Lenny Guest

    Dude, I doubt anyone but a freak would actually go through the bother of
    bolting a big-ass car radiator to their computer just to enjoy a fanless
    videocard. That it WOULD WORK is kinda irrelevant when it's such a freaky
    thing to do that nobody would actually do it.
    ....Although it actually relies on a rather powerful forced airflow to do
    that...
    ....Which probably says a lot about how wasteful light bulbs are. :)
    Somewhere around 95%-98% of the power run through that bulb turns directly
    into heat. :) Anyway, stick a 60W bulb inside the quite small confines of a
    computer case and watch how fast that baby heats up. As far as computer
    components go, 60W is a considerable load. We've only had components drawing
    this much for the last two years or so. Ok, old monster 5.25" harddrives
    from the 80s could draw about that much power, but only during the spin-up
    phase

    Lenny, Oct 13, 2003
  16. J.Clarke

    Lenny Guest

    It's a little less, but still in the above-50 watt range.

    Lenny, Oct 13, 2003
  17. J.Clarke

    Granulated Guest

    Hmmm..my WD120 is silent. (SE w/8meg cache)

    Granulated, Oct 13, 2003
  18. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    Which is why I called this a case of "extreme overkill".
    Nobody? Actually a car radiator is not at all extreme.
    <http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?contid=3&artid=57> is one example of
    what I would consider to be an extreme solution.

    You might also find
    <http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9699> worth
    a read--the third page is interesting. Or
    <http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/16oct99.shtml>

    Really depends on your priorities.
    Yes, but using it to cool a PC means running it at about 0.1% of
    capacity.
    And again you miss the point, which is that in absolute terms 60 watts
    is a piddling little bit of power. As long as you're willing to think
    outside the box removing it is not at all difficult. If you insist that
    all cooling devices be internal to the PC cabinet then you may have a
    problem, but with liquid cooling you are not constrained to do that.

    By the way, your notion that"we've only had components drawing this much
    for the last two years or so" is considerably at variance with the
    facts. Look up the current draw for a Univac or more recently a
    System/390. Cooling has always been an issue with computers.

    J.Clarke, Oct 13, 2003
  19. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    Anyone who would use an afterburning turbofan for a cooler _is_
    nuts--the only air that comes out of one of those will melt down the
    machine in short order. In any case, they would not be suited to a
    quiet machine.

    In any case, I gave you some links and if you google you'll find a lot
    more--the use of car radiators for cooling PCs is not all that
    uncommon--usually a heater core rather than a main radiator is used, but
    that distinction is IMO nit-picking.
    There you go thinking inside the box again. The radiator does
    not have to be inside the box. In fact there is at least one passive
    cooling system running on a PC that uses the box as the radiator.

    In the context of what can be cooled using Junkyard Wars technology 60
    watts is minuscule.
    Most people aren't willing to take the lid off of their boxen for any
    number of reasons. We're not talking about "most people". For someone
    who wants a quiet machine badly enough, moving the radiator outside the
    box, or even outside the building, _is_ an option.
    If you count single components installed in a PC that might be the case,
    however the two PII Xeons (EOS over a year ago) in the machine I'm
    using at the moment between them generate about 100 watts at full go--I
    don't think that Intel put a 1200 watt power supply in the case it's in
    on a whim.
    Well, actually the 390 _is_ a desktop system, one variant of it at
    least. That particular model is obsolete and out of production but they
    still go for $5-10k on ebay.
    You are. You just don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that
    fanless cooling of a PC is possible without sacrificing performance.
    THAT is the point.

    J.Clarke, Oct 13, 2003
  20. J.Clarke

    Lenny Guest

    'Nobody' like, 'nobody NORMAL'... Of course there are nuts out there who
    would like strap a pair of Rolls Royce-SNECMA Olympus 593 afterburning
    turbofan engines as coolers if only they could...
    No, I don't miss it, because in absolute terms a terawatt nuclear powerplant
    is a piddling bit of power too. When our sun manages to send us around
    1kW/sqm of radiant energy from a distance of several light-minutes, most
    everything is a piddling bit of power. It has to be put in proper context
    though! In that context, 60W *is* quite a lot, due to a PCs small internal
    volume and limited cooling ability (without going to extremes re. cost,
    noise, etc).

    Most people aren't willing to start routing tubes sloshing with water around
    the insides of their boxes for any number of reasons, so moving the radiator
    outside the system really isn't an option.
    No it isn't, not in the PC marketspace.
    These aren't desktop systems, and are thus irrelevant to our discussion.

    So who is it who's REALLY missing the point here huh?

    Lenny, Oct 13, 2003