    dhrystones and is SLOWER than my Barton in whetstones (FPU). So much for 64-bit
    computing. The Pentium 4C at 3.2Ghz 512L2 beats the Opteron 148 @ 2.2Ghz by at
    least 10% in both whetstone (FPU) and dhrystone (integer).

    Wblane, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Wblane

    rstlne Guest

    I dont think SiSandra can use the "enhancements" of amd64 bit processing in
    it's calculations. Keep in mind that this change will take time and you
    cant really compare them using the same methods that you could compare
    before, new software is needed from the OS level all the way to the user
    interface or else all of the benefit will be lost. If optical or molecular
    processing gets their feet into the door in the next few years then you'll
    see all of the test go out the window once again.

    rstlne, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Wblane

    Ben Pope Guest

    I doubt there will ever be an AMD socket A chip at 3GHz.
    Blah, blah blah. 64bit doesn't double the performance of 32 bit
    applications.

    Are we talking about Socket A or Socket 940?

    Are we talking about Athlon or Opteron?

    Are we talking about 64bit or 32bit?

    When you know what you are talking about, let me know 'cos at the moment you
    just look like you're trolling.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Wblane

    Wes Newell Guest

    They have stated the speed yet, but I'm sure they will get there in one of
    the new cores in the future.
    And you believe everything women tell you.:)
    How the hell would you know. You haven't done any 64bit computing with it
    yet. You're still in 32bit mode both with Win and Sandra. I don't think
    either has been released in 64 bit yet. Try 64 bit Linux. And remember to
    recompile the apps for 64bit too.
    So all the hundreds of websites that say AMD is the fastest x86 cpu you
    can buy now are wrong? And all the benchmarks showing the AMD cpu beating
    the P4 is wrong? I don't think so. What does botizer mean? You had a
    lobotamy?

    Wes Newell, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Wblane

    Bill Guest

    You have to have a brain in the first place before you can
    have a lobotomy.

    Bill < bouncing Blane into the Bozo Bin >

    Bill, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Wblane

    Wblane Guest

    I never said it did. I was just stating that in Sisoft's benchmarks the opteron
    didn't do that well. I'd guess it's 32-bit code, but since MOST code these days
    is 32-bit x86 code
    I'd guess that's somewhat relevant eh?

    Wblane, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Wblane

    Wblane Guest

    Um, like I said before most of the code out there is 32-bit x86 code so I'd
    think this benchmark would still be relevant (at least right now).

    Wblane, Dec 7, 2003
  8. Wblane

    Ben Pope Guest

    Yes, of course it's relevent, but why spend money on a 64bit processor to do
    32bit computing?

    And why say "So much for 64-bit computing" based on a comparison of 32bit
    code running on a 64bit CPU vs a 32bit CPU? That is not 64bit computing.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 7, 2003
  9. Wblane

    Wes Newell Guest

    And before the 386 came out most code was 16bit. So are you suggesting
    that we should have all stayed with 286 cpu's just because most of the
    code at the time was 16bit? 64 bit is here to stay. Get used to it. In a
    year or 2 it will be mainstream.

    Wes Newell, Dec 7, 2003