  1. Has anyone seen any good deals for Dell Inspiron laptops this week? I
    checked out Techbargains hoping for something, but not yet. Hopefully
    something good will come up before x-mas.

    shareyourknowledge, Nov 25, 2006

  2. shareyourknowledge

    Tom J Guest

    The best deal went off sale yesterday!! I got a buy!!!

    Tom J

    Tom J, Nov 25, 2006

  3. No, not yet. The best deal ... not really all that great in terms of
    what's been available in the past ... is a coupon for 25% off a laptop
    costing $1,199 or more.

    A better deal is likely in the next 2 weeks.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 25, 2006
  4. Hi Barry- Perhaps you could let me know when you spot a good deal if
    you wouldn't mind since you seem to be experienced at it. Just send me
    an e-mail.Thanks, Bob.

    shareyourknowledge, Nov 25, 2006
  5. Bob, sorry, I'm not a "personal shopper". But you can always find the
    best deal on Dells at www.techbargains.com. Check the site at least
    daily. Dell deals and pricing changes like the wind, there have been
    deals that lasted only a few hours.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 26, 2006
  6. Sorry Barry- It was stupid of me to suggest that you shop for me.That
    wasn't my intention. Not knowing too much about pricing i find
    Techbargains to be a little confusing sometimes. I'll just spend some
    time and research what the systems can cost. Thanks.

    shareyourknowledge, Nov 26, 2006
  7. In order to get the best deals, you sometimes (often) need to have a
    discount code to enter on the checkout page (which gives you a huge
    discount ... sometimes 50%). Dell doesn't publicize these on it's own.
    They are available (when they are available) at www.techbargains.com
    (and some other sites as well, but it's pretty clear from the amount of
    space that they get that Dell is paying Techbargains to promote Dell
    products and offerings).

    Further, some of these deals only last for a few hours, and some others
    are capacity controlled ("only valid for the first 1,000 customers").

    Right now, we are just entering the Christmas holiday season. It's one
    of the two best times of the year to buy a laptop (the other is
    back-to-school, roughly from late June to early August, peaking in
    early-to-mid July). As such, there will probably be some great deals
    (although I have no inside information, I'm just basing my comments on
    what has happened in past years), but to get them you will need to be on
    your toes. Honestly, even checking Techbargains ONCE a day is not often
    enough to guarantee that you see and get a truly great deal, if there is
    one.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 26, 2006
  8. shareyourknowledge

    Gaylord Guest

    Sometimes dell run the $750 off coupon of a lappy costing more then $1499,
    they are good deals.

    Last year Dell had some amazing quick ship deals,a few days before
    christmas.

    Today they had a E1501 on sale with a Turion 64, 1 gig, 80 gig HD, DVDRW for
    $519+tax.

    However that was pulled mid afternoon.

    Gaylord, Nov 26, 2006
  9. If i'm not mistaken, don't you need to register with Dell before you
    buy anything? The last time i visited, it wouldn't take me to the
    checkout page w/o signing in first.

    shareyourknowledge, Nov 26, 2006
  10. RE: "Today they had a E1501 ..."

    I would not touch any laptop with any processor other than an Intel Core
    Duo or Core 2 Duo. All other processor choices from both Intel and AMD
    are, at this point, "wrong" (meaning, not a good value).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 26, 2006
  11. "Register" .... no. But, obviously, once you get to the checkout page,
    you are going to have to supply contact and credit card information.

    But you can get as far as the checkout page (but not beyond it) without
    giving Dell any information. And you can enter the coupon codes before
    giving them payment information, to see the final price.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 26, 2006
  12. shareyourknowledge

    Tom J Guest

    The AMD Duo in the 1501 runs cooler, draws less battery drain and
    processes data faster than the Intel, so where is that bad?

    Tom J
    who bought 1 & glad I did

    Tom J, Nov 26, 2006
  13. I don't accept any of that. The Core 2 Duo's are beating everything in
    almost everyone's benchmarks of everything (speed and power
    consumption). And the laptop Core Duo is within a few percentage points
    of the Core 2 Duo, although the desktop Core Duo is further back.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 26, 2006
  14. shareyourknowledge

    Gaylord Guest

    Gaylord, Nov 26, 2006
  15. You can get a very excellent Toshiba M115 with a Core Duo processor, DVD
    burner, 512MB (or more) of memory, 80GB (or more) hard drive and Media
    Center (free upgrade to Vista Premium) for no more than $599 and
    possibly less (possibly a lot less), usually with a free printer and
    sometimes also a free wireless router and/or case. No one said that the
    best deal was always Dell.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 26, 2006
  16. Barry- I checked my Sunday ads and Best Buy has this set-up w/o a
    printer. Looks like a good deal. Office Depot has what looks like a
    similiar model but with a 15.4 screen for $579.99, upgradable to Harmon
    Kardon speakers for an extra $30.00,Microsoft Media Center for $35.00,
    and 1024 MB memory for $75.00. Either one looks like a pretty good
    deal. As long as i can burn CD's and DVD's and hook up to the net, i'll
    be happy. Bob.

    shareyourknowledge, Nov 27, 2006
  17. The deal at Office Depot is likely a A105 rather than an M115
    (basically, the A105 is a 15" screen, the M115 is a 14" screen). Both
    the A105 and the M115 are offered in a ton of "configuration models"
    (over 100 for the A105), so watch what you are getting. The simple fact
    that it's an "A105" doesn't tell you very much (but if you look up the
    entire model number with the "S-suffix" (as in "A105-S4002") on the
    Toshiba web site, it will tell you exactly what that particular
    configuration is; start here:

    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp

    and select "Tech Support Center"

    Try to avoid the "custom-configured" models (as you describe for Office
    Depot). There is nothing wrong with the computers, but they usually
    cost more relative to what you get than the pre-configured models.

    Check Circuit City, they are most aggressive about throwing in free
    printers and other items ("free", however, means "free after rebate").
    They have had this model, and recently, but perhaps not this week.
    CompUSA also has "laptop bundles" quite often.

    Office Depot's rebates have been problematic and should probably be
    avoided if at all possible. Best Buy and OfficeMax have largely
    eliminated rebates. CompUSA and Staples have made MOST rebates (but not
    all) largely painless (do the entire thing online without mailing in
    ANYTHING, and get immediate confirmation). Circuit City still does
    their own rebates "the old fashioned way", but they do at least reliably
    pay validly submitted rebates. Note, comments on rebate procedures and
    reliability don't apply when the rebate is actually coming from a party
    other than the retailer themselves (such as the manufacturer).

    The Christmas buying season is just starting. There are likely to be
    some good deals over the next 4 weeks. Patience may be rewarded.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2006
  18. Hi Barry- You are a wealth of information. The Office Depot Toshiba
    model is MX 3416 882306. I will check out the Toshiba website. Bob.

    shareyourknowledge, Nov 27, 2006
  19. That's not a standard Toshiba model number; it's probably an Office
    Depot number, which is going to be useless. A Toshiba part number will
    be something like "M115-S1234", where "M115" is the model number and
    "S1234" specifies the exact configuration. Best Buy sometimes
    identifies models simply by the suffix ("S1234"), which is bad because
    there can be both an A105-S1234 and an M115-S1234, and they would be
    totally different laptops.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2006
  20. I just checked today's Curcuit City ad. They have free with any
    notebook except HP and Compaq(after rebates) a Lexmark printer, Norton
    Internet Security 2007,H& R Block Taxcut software,(which some may use,
    some not) and upgrade to Windows Vista O.S with purchase of any
    Microsoft Vista capable PC.

    shareyourknowledge, Nov 27, 2006