    remotely from at work or wherever.

    Is there any FREE (or VERY low-cost) s-ware that does this?

    Mel

    MZB, Sep 29, 2006

  2. MZB

    Jay B Guest

    you have remote desktop, which is built into every windows XP.
    just open a port and you're good to go.

    Jay B, Sep 29, 2006

  3. MZB

    eXcalibur Guest

    Is there any FREE (or VERY low-cost) s-ware that does this?

    If you have Windows XP Pro, you have Remote Desktop built-in. Windows XP
    Home has some remote capabilities, but it doesn't seem to be as extensive
    as Remote Desktop. It has Remote Assistance.

    Cheers!

    eXcalibur

    eXcalibur, Sep 29, 2006
  4. MZB

    raluxs Guest

    If you have a way to see your home computer from work thru an IP
    conection, you can use VNC, it is free and reliable, there are few
    versions of it around, try UltraVNC at www.ultravnc.org .

    Good luck

    raluxs, Sep 30, 2006
  5. MZB

    S.Lewis Guest

    Mel,

    I've got a good one for you. Easy to use and seems fairly secure:

    http://www.download.com/LogMeIn-Free/3000-7240_4-10434405.html

    Enjoy.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 30, 2006
  6. MZB

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, it's not. XP Home does not include the server component.
    I use RealVNC, but you really should run it inside a VPN as it is not secure

    Tom Scales, Sep 30, 2006
  7. MZB

    Colin Wilson Guest

    If you have a way to see your home computer from work thru an IP
    UltraVNC is nice when it works, but i've had stability problems with the
    viewer as have other people I know (I don't recall seeing problems with
    the actual server component though).

    I use RealVNC unless I need the file transfer capability in UltraVNC
    (which is usually what makes it keel over).

    Most of this use comes from helping people remotely, where its not that
    big of an issue if they have to restart the server, or I drop off on a
    regular basis - we're usually on Skype at the same time, so we can keep
    each other informed of any "issues".

    One potential problem is if you use ZoneAlarm, as you are not able to
    click on the "allow internet access" warnings under VNC, although some
    of the alternative software might allow you to.

    Colin Wilson, Sep 30, 2006
  8. MZB

    Phil Schuman Guest

    first question - what type of Internet connect from each location ?
    home - dynamic cable or DSL ?
    you will need something to keep it open or dynamic DNS
    work - access to ports on firewall ?

    Phil Schuman, Sep 30, 2006
  9. i second that. go directly to logmein.com and sign up for their free
    service and install the small applet on the pc that you want to connect to
    remotely. then as long as you leave that pc on you can control it remotely
    from any computer with internet explorer and a internet connection.

    vnc is not secure and should not be used outside a vpn tunnel. i feel the
    same way about remote desktop (if you had xp pro) unless it is used through
    a secure socket (like with sbs 2003) or vpn. an alternative to logmein is
    gotomypc and though they offer an arguably better product it is not free.

    Christopher Muto, Oct 4, 2006
  10. MZB

    S.Lewis Guest

    Chris -

    An FYI on that; I'm about to grab a few subscriptions for LogMeIn ITReach.
    Those prices range from a high of $69+ per year down to $54 annually for the
    few I'd need.

    Last I read (perhaps a year or more ago) GoToMyPC was around $19.99 a month.

    Anyway, it appears LogMeIn may have some price advantages on their purchased
    products, but I may be wrong.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 4, 2006
  11. Stew, we are saying the same thing. Logmein is cheaper than gotoomypc. As
    cheap as free if you don't need certain features (file transfer, remote
    printing, etc). They also have some products that gotomypc does not
    (itreach as you use). But i do find that gotomypc is better and faster and
    you could reduce the standard monthly fee if your pre-pay for the service.
    But is it is not enough faster for me to get excited about and pay for
    unless I intended to use it a lot (or wanted to have a single account with
    many users which gotomypc offers). For occasional remote access needs
    logmein free is perfect. And you can easily talk someone through the
    install when needed and remotely then assist them (of course you know
    this)... Regards,

    Christopher Muto, Oct 5, 2006
  12. ps, logmein's itreach is unique and also a good value. but if you don't
    have many clients then you could just have each client sign up for a free
    account and get most of the same functionality (less the email reporting,
    utilities, console, remote printing, and file transfer)...

    Christopher Muto, Oct 5, 2006
  13. MZB

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yes, and I thought of that. The cool thing is that IT Reach allows one to
    "roll" the subscriptions by having uninstalling the software from the target
    machine(s) when done. For one-time only fixes, that is a joy.

    I appreciate your thoughts and insight.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Oct 5, 2006
  14. MZB

    rogergrand

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Try using GoSupportNow remote support app. It is easy to use, works on both MAC and Windows and costs only $19.95 / month, next to free.

    rogergrand, Mar 18, 2014