    Linux does a better job in the constrained environment than the latest
    Windows, and would probably run quicker.

    Rufus

    Rufus V. Smith, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Rufus V. Smith

    jrok Guest

    My company has a couple old Tektronix TLA704 logic analyzers, which aren't
    bad for data capture, but the display program is pretty doggy.[/QUOTE]

    The best thing to do for the display is to run with an external monitor,
    the old Cirrus Logic chipset can do 1024x768. If you really feel like some
    hacking of the main board you can desolder the pentium then put in a socket.
    It'll also support one of the ancient socket-5 overdrive CPU's to give you a
    half decent 180MHz. I got ahold of a slim line socket-5 to socket-7 adapters
    and put a 233MHz pentium MMX cpu on mine. It'll then run win2k pretty
    effectively and the newer versions of the S/W. You also need to upgrade
    the BIOS to support 128MB of RAM.

    - James

    jrok, Nov 7, 2004

  3. The best thing to do for the display is to run with an external monitor,
    the old Cirrus Logic chipset can do 1024x768. If you really feel like some
    hacking of the main board you can desolder the pentium then put in a socket.
    It'll also support one of the ancient socket-5 overdrive CPU's to give you a
    half decent 180MHz. I got ahold of a slim line socket-5 to socket-7 adapters
    and put a 233MHz pentium MMX cpu on mine. It'll then run win2k pretty
    effectively and the newer versions of the S/W. You also need to upgrade
    the BIOS to support 128MB of RAM.

    - James
    [/QUOTE]

    I guess hacks is the wrong term for this newsgroup. I really wanted to know
    if
    anyone had developed software to run on the existing hardware, for example,
    a Linux
    port that could read/write to the sample card.

    However, your suggestions are very good, and I'll hold onto them in case my
    employer is inclined to encourage such modifications.

    Those changes seem much more economical than a mainframe swap...

    Rufus

    Rufus V. Smith, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Rufus V. Smith

    Kgirardin

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you plan to upgrade the software, be careful. The interface will not work unless you save the kbmonit.exe file. I was given a tla704 where someone did not save this file. I have been trying to find this file for about two years with no luck so far. Just want to save you the trouble.

    Kerry

    Kgirardin, Mar 2, 2015