    laptop....can you buy an external one that will hook up to a laptop
    easily and burn them THAT way?

    Thanks in advaNCE.

    me6, Apr 11, 2004

  2. me6

    Markeau Guest

    cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs

    Markeau, Apr 11, 2004

  3. me6

    me6 Guest

    cdr/w burners have been available in portables for at least 3yrs

    OK

    Are the built in cd burners "robust" and reliable? Just as reliable
    as internal cd burners in a desktop?

    Also...can one be had in say a $1000 notebook such as one from Dell?
    can you get a cd burner in a laptop in THAT price range..... $1000?

    If yes....any specific Dell recommendations?? Model numbers?

    me6, Apr 11, 2004
  4. me6

    joe_tide Guest

    Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW in
    it.

    www.dell.com

    joe_tide, Apr 11, 2004
  5. me6

    me6 Guest

    Try the Inspiron 1150. You can get one for less than $1000 with the CD-RW in
    OK....checked that out. definite possibility

    However the 600m is in same price range. But kind hard to tell the
    diff. Is the 600m more "compact" basically?

    And is the 600m a viable option as well? Or is the 1150 a better bet
    in some respect?

    me6, Apr 11, 2004
  6. me6

    gringo Guest

    I prefer the 600m

    gringo, Apr 11, 2004
  7. me6

    Gus Guest

    Probably not so for Dells, definitely not so for ThinkPads. I have an
    R40 bought 10/03 which came with a DVD-ROM/CD burner combo drive.

    Gus, Apr 11, 2004
  8. me6

    Eugene Guest

    Yes, you can get cd-rw, dvd, and even dvd-rw's are starting to make it into
    laptops. My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
    desktop drive. This was you can keep the drive when/if you upgrade laptops
    easily.

    Eugene, Apr 11, 2004
  9. me6

    me6 Guest

    I prefer the 600m

    OK... but can you explain to me why? What qualities you like abt it?

    me6, Apr 11, 2004
  10. They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
    replacement. The 600m is a more portable system with a much more efficient
    CPU and better battery life, along with more limited screen size options.

    Neither one is upgradeable video-wise, so if future upgrades are a must, buy
    something else. The 1150 uses integrated Intel graphics and is not
    upgradeable; the 600m uses a better ATI video chipset, but is likewise not
    upgradeable.

    Edward J. Neth, Apr 11, 2004
  11. me6

    me6 Guest

    They serve two different markets. The 1150 is a budget model desktop
    OK

    But couldn't the 600m be used as a desktop replacement also?

    me6, Apr 11, 2004
  12. me6

    me6 Guest

    My suggestion though is to buy a $20 USB 2.0 external case and a
    OK... I already have a Plextor cd burner in my current desktop

    Are you saying that I can remove that Plextor unit and install it in
    it's own external case for USB use wit the laptop as well?

    me6, Apr 11, 2004
  13. Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
    most desktop displays these days, but if it's suitable for you, there's no
    reason you can use one as a desktop replacement.

    Edward J. Neth, Apr 11, 2004
  14. me6

    Eugene Guest

    yep. I've have that kind of setup since I have my own laptop, my wife has
    her own and I have a company issued one as well as various other pc's in
    the house in various states of repair that I find and give away. Instead
    of buying multiple cd burners for each system I buy one and the usb case
    and even a small laptop bad to store it and the cables in. The only thing
    you do have to be careful of is backwards compatibility with usb1.1 for
    older systems, if you need that ability your drive has to be able to slow
    down to 4x or slower since usb1.1 can't send the data faster than 4x and
    some newer drives won't slow down slower than 8 (like the aopen I bought
    recently). I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
    cheaper than buying an internal laptop drive. Bought another USB case and
    plan to get a DVD burner t drop in it soon.

    Eugene, Apr 11, 2004
  15. me6

    Eugene Guest

    Eugene, Apr 11, 2004
  16. me6

    Tom Scales Guest

    Where did you find the case for $20?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 11, 2004
  17. me6

    me6 Guest

    Depends on your expectations. The screen on the 600m is small relative to
    OK..... I wish I could go someplace and physically look at Dell
    laptops... is that possible?

    Also dumb question.... but since so many laptops have DVD drives in
    them now days..... is it possible to watch a DVD movie on them?

    If yes.... is it also possible to output the DVD signal to a regular
    TV and watch it that way.... i.e. using the laptop as a DVD player?

    me6, Apr 12, 2004
  18. me6

    me6 Guest

    I paid $20 for a usb2.0 case and $45 for the drive which is
    Good idea!

    I will do that.... get an external case for my current Plextor cd
    burner. I will have to remove it from my Dell 4100 case tho. But
    then I could move it from PC to PC or laptop.

    me6, Apr 12, 2004
  20. 1. Is there a Dell store where you live? Do you know anyone with the 600m
    or an Inspiron 1150?

    2. You can watch DVD movies on the DVD drive. The Dell Desktop I have came
    with PowerDVD.

    3. The only way to get the DVD movie on to your TV from the laptop if the
    laptop has a TV Out connector

    If you want to watch DVD movies and that is the reason why you want to get a
    laptop, I suggest buying a DVD player. You can a get a good cheap one for
    less than 100 bucks even as low as 50 bucks

    Dan Sgambelluri, Apr 12, 2004