    give it a shot...

    Does anybody know if the type 7 kb+mouse setup would work on SB1K? I
    don't see why not, but then again, stranger things have happened...

    UNIX Museum, Feb 9, 2006

  2. I have both: type 6 and 7. I use the type 6 on a Blade 1000 and attached
    the type 7 there once. It works. In my opinion the type 7 is even better
    quality than the type 6. Additionally it has an USB Hub and a scroll
    mouse. The only thing missing is the plastic things where you can rest
    your hands on.

    HTH,
    Tom

    Thomas Maier-Komor, Feb 9, 2006

  3. UNIX Museum

    Rich Teer Guest

    That wouldn't be hard: the Type 6 is a POS IMHO.

    WHich reminds me: I ought to hit on my local Sun bod for a eval
    sample Type 7...

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Feb 9, 2006
  4. UNIX Museum

    Coy Hile Guest

    Eval sample? You know you just want to order one outright :) (And so do
    I, but I haven't been able to be bothered to find the $50 yet)

    Coy Hile, Feb 9, 2006
  5. UNIX Museum

    UNIX Museum Guest

    Cool, thanks for the info! It is unclear on Sunstore if the $50 item is
    just the keyboard or a regular country kit, i.e. including the mouse.
    The Sunstore description is "Type 7 keyboard"... Should I assume it's a
    country kit?

    UNIX Museum, Feb 9, 2006
  6. HI,

    When I order a bunch of Type 7 to replace type 6 I got the Country kit.

    Said is that you don't get any mouse hmm whats that called mouse "rag"
    sicne its optical(again) :)

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Feb 9, 2006
  7. UNIX Museum

    UNIX Museum Guest

    OK then, country kit. Excellent! Thanks for the info...
    How cheap! The Sun mousepad (right, more a rag that a mousepad) wasn't
    the greatest anyway...

    UNIX Museum, Feb 9, 2006
  8. I do, too. Actually, it looks like a nice replacement keyboard/mouse
    for anything that can use a USB keyboard. The mouse bears a passing
    resemblance to a Logitech Mx518, which I have and is an excellent
    mouse.

    But while I can find the web page for the Type 7, I haven't actually
    seen a product # for it. And my attempts to get the Sun store to let
    me order the item haven't been successful. I can find the Type 6, but
    that's not a Type 7...

    Anyone happen to have Sun's product # for the Type 7 handy?

    James

    I R A Darth Aggie, Feb 9, 2006
  9. UNIX Museum

    Coy Hile Guest

    I think Alan Coopersmith told me it's X3738A (type 7 UNIX layout) for
    the country kit.

    Coy Hile, Feb 9, 2006
  10. I R A Darth Aggie, Feb 9, 2006
  11. UNIX Museum

    Rich Teer Guest

    My between jobs status means that I have no $$$ for things like a new
    keyboard, given that I don't need one. Personally, I'm very happy
    using my Type 5 keybaord and VPI Type 5 <-> USB converter, so my
    interest in the Type 7 is really just to see what they're like.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Feb 9, 2006
  12. HI;

    Sure, But GbE is crucial Hmm we should maybe make sure that your dear
    wife gets copies of your conversations here ;)
    Type 5 is a very good keyboard I like it to, Type 4 is even better!
    But these converters to USB seams to be hard to find here in Sweden!

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Feb 9, 2006
  13. UNIX Museum

    Scott Howard Guest

    If it's the X-option it's the country kit (keyboard+mouse). If it's an
    3xx-xxxx part then it's one or the other only (but I'm fairly sure you
    can't order them from SunStore)

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Feb 10, 2006
  14. |Does anybody know if the type 7 kb+mouse setup would work on SB1K? I
    |don't see why not, but then again, stranger things have happened...

    You may need to update your OBP to allow the mouse to work when plugged
    into the in-keyboard hub, but I think otherwise there should be no
    problem using it with any Sun Blade machine. (OBP updates can be found
    as patches on http://sunsolve.sun.com/)

    Alan Coopersmith, Feb 11, 2006