Any suggestions, comments, or tips for my upgrade?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Cullinane, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Cullinane

    Cullinane Guest

    After commandeering and confiscating my infamous hidden 'computer
    money stash' to pay for 'bills' and silly things like mortgage
    payments, car payments, groceries, etc, the wife has decreed that I
    may finally upgrade my computer to one from this decade. More than
    likely, just to shut me up.

    Thermaltake Silver XASER III LanFire ATX MID Tower Chassis with 420W
    power Supply, Model "VM2420AU" -RETAIL

    Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin
    512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 with Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader - Retail
    Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6
    Support Voltage: 2.6V

    ASUS 865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "P4P800
    Deluxe"

    Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512KB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading

    That's my choices within my budget. Any suggestions anyone might have
    about putting it together or settings once it's built? I have the
    other components that I'll take out of my older system. Not that
    they're old. 4x Sony dvd-burner, lite-on cd-burner, gateway 19-inch
    EV910.
    Any oddities anyone notice or tips that others with similar setups may
    have had?
    After investigating and lurking here for a while, I finally decided
    that an asus board was the best. Money-wise and the good reviews.
    What I'm interested in is any settings that I should make in the bios?
    After installing windows, should I load the drivers from the mobo cd,
    correct?
    I'm going to increase the memory down the road, 512 should hold me
    over until then.
    To enable dual-channel, each stick of memory should be in slots 1 and
    3, correct?
    Also, what if I want to overclock it a bit? I've no idea how to do it
    in the bios and how much I can get away while keeping it stable. (Or
    even if I should since this is light-years faster than my old system!)

    Concerning the memory at 2.6v, I think I read that in the bios I have
    to choose the voltage, or adjust it from 2.5 to 2.6?
    Sorry...newbie here when it comes to p4's. I'm still running a p3
    1gig for the last couple years.
    I'll also have to stick with my original AIW Radeon until summer at
    least. Any problems with an older card like mine and this
    motherboard? Concerning the onboard 3com lan, is it good? Or should I
    still use my intel 10/100 pro one?
    A lot of questions above I know, but I'd appreciate any comments,
    suggestions or opinions.
    Thanks.

    Cullinane, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Cullinane

    Gordon Scott Guest

    yea I got a suggestion, dump all that intel stuff and get an athlon 64
    system

    Gordon Scott, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Cullinane

    Randy Guest

    Do these self destruct if they get too hot like the other Athlons did?
    Pentiums just slow down but don't destruct. If it weren't for this
    self destruction I would go with an Athlon 64

    Randy, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Cullinane

    Andrew Guest

    Athlon XP's have had overheating protection built in for over two
    years.

    Andrew, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Cullinane

    Ulf Guest

    Good to know that we have the Internet Police watching over us

    Ulf, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Cullinane

    @ndrew Guest

    That is nothing compared to the newsgroup alt.games.everquest some
    members get feral when you top post there. And i do mean feral .. I
    imagine them frothing at the mouth o)

    regards

    @ndrew

    @ndrew, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Cullinane

    Gordon Scott Guest

    Whats an athlon 64 and an athlon xp have to do with each other, other
    than AMD made them?

    here do some reading.. there might be some specs/comments on
    temps/cooling
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html

    Gordon

    Gordon Scott, Mar 6, 2004