Any thoughts on buying a refurbished GTX-260...maybe?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by newton, Aug 30, 2007.

  1. newton

    newton Guest

    I have a Dimension 2400 bought several years ago with a Celeron 2400 and
    768MB memory in it. My computer has a Ghost in it that is driving me nuts.
    I never turn off my computer. It stays on 24 hours a day/seven days a
    week. I have a low-power LCD monitor so I even leave it on. When the day
    is through I will reboot the system, but the computer never turns itself
    completely off.

    But there is a Ghost which suddenly invaded my system and it just starts to
    freeze - no matter what I am doing. The GTX-260 seems to my untrained eye
    about the same mobo as I have - but does have an AGP slot and a Pentium 4
    slot so it is kind of an upgrade if backward.

    I have an ATI 9250 128mb PCI and AGP for video is cool. Been wanting an
    AGP slot for a long time, but could not afford such. But also and very
    important the GTX-260 uses IDE for HD's. I have a 300GB Seagate and an
    80GB Maxtor. The machine I would be buying only has a 20GB HD - so I would
    swap it out.

    The Dimension only officially supports one HD - but I have it configured to
    support the Maxtor one Channel One, and the Segate on Channel Two with the
    CD-Rom as a slave. I have an external USB DVD-Writer.

    You have to create your own enclosure for the HD and be sure it receives
    enough air - I guess there should be enough room.

    It came off lease just recent with 2000 installed - Put XP Pro in machine
    swap HD's and put my memory in - giving me over 1GB, and get a 4x AGP card,
    might not be bad for $159.00 w/free shipping from DELL and a one year
    warranty.

    Any thoughts?

    newton, Aug 30, 2007

  2. newton

    Tom Scales Guest

    Too expensive.

    I bought one (It's a GX260, by the way), about 2 years ago for a little
    less than that. They are entirely different than the 2400, but I mean
    that in a good way. They're a nice step up, but I wouldn't pay over
    $100 for one right now.

    You can get a nice dual core Inspiron 530 from the outlet with Vista
    basic for $309 shipped. Not that I am suggesting that (they're all
    SATA), but it is a reference point.

    Before I did anything, I'd reload XP on the 2400. It still has life
    left in it. The Celeron is weak, but it is a serviceable machine.

    If you were near Central Florida, I could give you a deal on a 2400 with
    a real P4-2.8 or a GX260 with a P4-2.66. They're just sitting in my
    closet.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 30, 2007

  3. newton

    Jerry Guest

    What would you sell either of those for? I might be interested.

    Jerry, Aug 30, 2007
  4. newton

    newton Guest

    Thanks for the info. I looked around a bit and found a new barebones
    system that should work perfect for now and into the future. The mobo
    supports both SATA and IDE. Comes with an Intel Dual Core 2.8Ghz and
    also supports DDR and DDR2 so I will not need to buy new memory just at
    this moment (it will support DDR333/400 - which I have in the system)
    and it has an 8x AGP slot - all for $169 plus shipping.

    cya!

    Mother lives in Port Richey....I live in St. Louis

    newton, Aug 30, 2007
  5. newton

    Tom Scales Guest

    Honestly, I should have put a smiley, as I really don't think I'll sell
    them. They're darn good computers and since I think they're only worth
    about $100-125, I'll keep them. They'll get use. Eventually I'll
    donate them to one of my kid's schools. Just did that with three older
    models and these are getting close.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 30, 2007
  6. newton

    Ben Myers Guest

    Careful there! If a motherboard supports both DDR and DDR2, it is likely to be
    one designed and manufactured by PC Chips, one of its no-name surrogates, or
    some other manufacturer of really poor quality motherboards with low performance
    chipsets (e.g. SiS)... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 30, 2007
  7. newton

    newton Guest

    <snip>
    Did not know there were problems with PC Chips (read reviews at NewEgg -
    only had an overall 43% rating). For $6.00 more I can have the motherboard
    changed to an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA which provides PCI-E and AGP plus support
    for DDR & DDR2. Been reading reviews and seems favorable except for Linux
    users.

    thoughts on ASRock? I have tried Vista and will not be leaving XP for
    sometime to come - though the board is supposed to be Vista ready. It is
    also WHQL certified. I think this might be a better board.

    thanks

    newton, Aug 31, 2007
  8. newton

    Ben Myers Guest

    My distributor keeps pushing Asrock boards, telling me that they are made by
    Foxconn, the same company that manufactures many of the Intel-branded boards. (I
    keep buying Intel brand boards, because my customers won't settle for less.) Not
    sure what the motherboard chipset is on the Asrock board, but I would be careful
    with any non-Intel chipset board. And that may be what the Linux crowd is
    saying. Or maybe they are saying that the board is too new to have chipset
    drivers, which happens regularly with new chipsets in motherboards, on graphics
    cards, on wireless cards, etc... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 31, 2007
  9. newton

    newton Guest

    The mobo chipset is a Via 880 Pro/Ultra and the articles I was reading
    about the chipset were old. Support for that chipset was added in a
    kernel for at least the Ubuntu distro.

    I'll give it a shot - www.anandtech.com did a review on the board quite
    extensively and found it to be a decent board for the money and a good
    solution if one wants to use their older parts. They compared the DDR2 v
    DDR and found only a slight difference between a DDR 400 and a DDR2 533
    for example and found that on that board AGP slightly outperformed the
    PCI-E side because PCI-E is limited to 4x where AGP is 8x. In any event
    I will not be buying a new video card soon as I will continue using my
    PCI ATI card - but I did find an interesting MSI card with 128MB on board
    that will share memory with the mobo if you allow it up to 512MB for
    $30.00.

    This setup sounds like it will work well for me, as the board supports
    Core-Duo as well if I choose to upgrade the CPU later.

    thanks for the help.

    cya

    newton, Aug 31, 2007
  10. newton

    Ben Myers Guest

    The video cards that share memory with the motherboard are very cheaply made. In
    general, they are little better in performance than graphics built into the
    motherboard chipset, at least with Intel chipsets. Not sure about VIA chipset
    motherboards with on-board graphics, but VIA is respectable, much more so than
    SiS for motherboard chips. The MSI card is to be avoided if you want any decent
    performance at all... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 31, 2007
  11. Hi!
    Not sure that's universally true, though. I've had systems with SiS chipsets
    that were real dogs. I've also had some good ones...the Cybernet Elite II
    ZPC comes to mind...I cringed when I found out it was powered by SiS, but it
    does really well.

    http://greyghost.dyndns.org/cybernet-zpc/

    I can remember when the SiS 471 was more or less *the* 486 motherboard
    chipset. I had several boards with it and all were excellent.

    I never liked Intel motherboards that well. Nice enough product, but every
    one I ever set up was a bear. Intel chipsets are fine. Most of my homebrew
    systems have Asus, FIC or Supermicro boards with VIA or nVidia chipsets.
    I've seen one ASRock board that was VIA based. It worked fine and was fairly
    easy to set up. It did come across as a very cheap board, however.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 31, 2007
  12. Hi!
    They're decent. I have about thirteen systems that I administer, all with
    Asus A7V8X MX SE boards in them. They are Windows 2000 and XP boxes, with
    one set aside that I put Vista Business on. All have run heavily since 2004
    and I only lost one due to onboard IDE failure, followed by the rest of the
    board dying shortly afterward.

    VIA wasn't supplying Vista drivers for the KM400/S3 IGP integrated video,
    but I convinced the XP ones to work. Onboard sound (SoundMAX) doesn't work.
    It shows up under Vista but has yet to make the first sound. After a while I
    put a cheap nVidia AGP card in this system so I could play with Aero
    graphics. No matter the VRAM assigned to it, the VIA/S3 integrated graphics
    didn't seem able to supply the oomph needed to make Aero available. Perhaps
    that is a limit of using the XP drivers on Vista.

    I have two newer systems (one with an Asus board and the other a Gigabyte)
    that are VIA based. These *do* support all of Vista's eye candy using the
    onboard video.
    It also seems like MSI hardware has a bad habit of caps that run hot and
    blow out over time. At least that's been my experience.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Aug 31, 2007
  13. newton

    Tony Harding Guest

    I've bought a couple of LCD monitors (17" & 20") and several towers thru
    the Outlet Store, including my newest Dell - XPS410 months ago. You have
    to check a lot to find your configuration and, if the price is right,
    snap it up. No 2nd chances at the Outlet Store. As far as deals go, the
    XPS410 I jumped at has a E6600 Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM,
    floppy, 250 GB HDD, DVD burner & a DVD-ROM/CD RW burner, integrated
    Gigabit Ethernet, etc., plus a bunch of software I didn't want. Price
    for the whole thing? $719 plus sales tax & shipping (you don't get free
    shipping at the Outlet Store. Very happy with it & like the design.

    Tony Harding, Aug 31, 2007
  14. newton

    Tom Scales Guest

    Price
    One note: The outlet often DOES have free shipping. They do right now.
    I try to buy at the convergence of a coupon, sale and free shipping.

    Requires patience.

    Tom Scales, Aug 31, 2007
  15. newton

    S.Lewis Guest

    I agree. I've actually run (2) ASUS boards with SiS chipsets that run fine.

    P4S333 and the one I currently use, a P4S800 DX.

    Neither were considered to be budget boards at the time, however.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 31, 2007
  16. newton

    Ben Myers Guest

    It's depressing to see that MSI motherboards are used in Compaq Presarios and in
    some IBM/Lenovo boxes. With MSI's awful track record, ya gotta wonder what
    these companies were thinking. No, I know what they were thinking. It's the
    brainless save-a-buck mindset that permeates this industry, much to its
    detriment.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 31, 2007
  17. newton

    newton Guest

    This system has no onboard graphics which is wonderful!

    I can go back in memory and remember a very special 386 I had with a
    Micro Channel Architecure and a fantastic Matrox Card of all of 2MB
    memory - it rocked!

    The board is supposed to be able to support video channels independently
    from other components - and if that is cool and true - then my PCI ATI
    Card should really rock. If hype - then I will check other points out.

    It is suppossed to be an independent PCI/PCI-e/AGP Bus with fixed rate
    and heck. I run two games. EA Sports Madden NFL 08 and EA Sports
    Baseball 2005 - no new games have came out for the PC since then for
    baseball, I could run them on nothing almost.

    I solved the freeze problem by the way. Gnats decided to commit suicide
    in my system and bounced from spot to spot. I ripped the computer apart
    down to its internals and found a dead gnats. It has now been running
    since I put it back together again for about three days without a single
    freeze.

    The new box will upgrade me to 420w of power plus an upgradeable socket
    for a CPU and let me use my old equipment. I am going to call the thread
    over and go about my life. Wonderful help. Sorry I could not continue
    with DELL. Just DELL wants me to replace everything I have to get a new
    computer without providing support for upgrades. I will never get rid of
    my printer - a Panasonic 24-pin from Win 3.1 days!!

    bye and thanks

    the thread is dead now.

    newton, Aug 31, 2007