Any tools for controlling CPU temp on the Inspiron 8100?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sriram, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Sriram

    Sriram Guest

    Hello folks,

    I was wondering what tools, if any, are available to keep the Inspiron
    8100 cooler. Here is my system: Inspiron 8100, P-III Mobile 866MHz,
    256 MB, 8MB NVidia GEForce2 GO, 60 GB Hitachi, Win 2k Professional.

    I have tried the following:

    Speedstep - I believe the 8100 uses the Intel i815EP chipset, which
    does not support dynamic clocking of the CPU depending on system
    activity. I have the SpeedStep applet that clocks the CPU down while
    running on battery (which I rarely do).

    Motherboard Monitor/CPUIdle - don't seem to work effectively. Is it
    because the chipset isn't supported?

    That leaves me with the I8kFanGUI (www.diefer.de) to monitor CPU temps
    and turn on the fans.

    Does anyone have different experiences with the tools above? Are there
    others out there that do a better job?

    Without I8kFanGUI, the fans don't run until the temp goes to 67-70 C.
    Is this what I should expect or do I have a defective system?

    TIA for any pointers,
    Sriram

    Sriram, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Sriram

    Ray Setzer Guest

    Out of curiosity, what is your specific worry with CPU heat? The Pentiums
    run fairly cool anyway. And unless you are reporting temps that are
    excessive, then, whats to worry about? Are you running your processor at
    100% load for long periods? Perhaps doing video rendering or something like
    that? If your not running a heavy sustained load on your processor, it
    should stay fairly cool all by itself.

    Ray Setzer, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Fangui works fine, I've used it on an I8000 and now an I8200.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Sriram

    Sriram Guest

    I don't think I'm doing anything heavy - mostly putty/IE 5.5/WinAmp.
    System is mostly at 2-3% CPU. Are temps around 67-70C normal for a
    laptop with a 866 MHz Mobile PIII doing these things? I am a bit edgy
    because a 10GB drive died on this very system after about 18 months;
    its temp rose above 55C often, outside of the IBM spec. (In the 8100,
    the HDD sits pretty close to the CPU.)

    Thanks

    Sriram, Feb 26, 2004
  5. I don't know how hot mine ran without Fangui as I did not have a temp
    monitor. I can usually keep my I8200 with a 2.6 gig processor under 50C
    using Fangui. I kept my 600 mhz I8000 under 50C most of the time too. The
    hard drive usually runs from 50-60C, generally closer to 50 than 60. The
    programs that seem to heat the I8200 up the most are spyware scans and AV
    scans.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Feb 26, 2004
  6. Sriram

    Ray Setzer Guest

    70C does seem a bit high actually. Though though after a little research,
    not anything to get alarmed about. Anything below 85C is supposed to be in
    the 'safe' range and 100C is the max point.

    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentiumiii/sb/CS-007510.htm

    Heres a site I found from guy who created a program to reset the fan control
    points for Dell laptops.

    http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

    A possibly obvious suggestion. Take a can of compressed air and make sure
    all the vents are clean. They are not very big on a laptop and unrestricted
    airflow is coolings best friend.

    Ray Setzer, Feb 26, 2004