    I saw the HP nx6125 but it has integrated ATI video.

    Anyone seen any Turion laptop with a discrete X300 or Geforce?

    T.

    tlai909, Sep 16, 2005

  2. tlai909

    higgy Guest

    You realise X300 is an ATI chip? Not sure what you mean by "discrete".
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, laptops all have integrated video (i.e.
    built into the motherboard), the differences to look out for are the
    quality of the chipset and dedicated video RAM (upgradable GPU's are
    supposed to be surfacing, but I haven't seen any yet).

    higgy.

    higgy, Sep 16, 2005

  3. tlai909

    tlai909 Guest

    I mean separate non shared video memory.

    T.

    tlai909, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Hi T.,
    Acer offers a few AMD based laptops that have non-shared video
    memory such as the ACER Ferrari 4000 series. HP also offers a few. Some
    of these laptops are Turion and others are Athlon or Sempron.
    The Acer Ferrari 4005WLMI (MFR# LX.FR406.035) seems to fit your
    request best and has the following specs:

    General
    System Type Notebook
    Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN antenna, Bluetooth
    antenna
    Width 14.3 in
    Depth 10.5 in
    Height 1.4 in
    Weight 6.4 lbs
    Localization United States
    Processor
    Processor AMD Turion 64 mobile technology ML-37 2 GHz - 64-bit
    Features 3DNow! Professional technology, PowerNow! technology,
    HyperTransport technology, Enhanced Virus Protection
    Chipset Type ATI RADEON XPRESS 200P
    Cache Memory
    Type L2 cache
    Installed Size 1 MB
    RAM
    Installed Size 1 GB / 2 GB (max)
    Technology DDR SDRAM - 333 MHz
    Memory Specification Compliance PC2700
    Storage Controller
    Type IDE
    Storage
    Hard Drive 100 GB
    Optical Storage
    Type DVD±RW / DVD-RAM - integrated
    Card Reader
    Type 5 in 1 card reader
    Supported Flash Memory Cards SD Memory Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick
    PRO, MultiMediaCard, xD-Picture Card
    Display
    Display Type 15.4" TFT active matrix
    Max Resolution 1680 x 1050 / 24-bit (16.7 million colors)
    Video
    Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 - PCI Express
    Video Memory DDR SDRAM - 128 MB
    Max Resolution (external) 2048 x 1536
    Audio
    Audio Output Sound card
    Compliant Standards AC '97, Sound Blaster Pro
    Audio Input Microphone
    Input Device(s)
    Type Keyboard, touchpad, 4-way scroll button
    Telecom
    Modem Fax / modem
    Max Transfer Rate 56 Kbps
    Protocols & Specifications ITU V.92
    Features Wake on Ring
    Networking
    Networking Network adapter
    Wireless NIC Acer InviLink 802.11g
    Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet,
    Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    Remote Management Protocol DMI 2.0
    Compliant Standards IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Expansion Slots Total (Free) 2 ( 1 ) x memory
    1 ( 1 ) x CardBus - type II
    1 ( 1 ) x Memory Stick
    1 ( 1 ) x SD Memory Card
    1 ( 1 ) x xD-Picture Card
    Interfaces 4 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A
    1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11
    1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45
    1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
    1 x display / video - S-video output
    1 x audio - line-in/microphone - mini-phone 3.5 mm
    1 x audio - SPDIF output/headphones
    1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 4 pin FireWire
    1 x infrared - IrDA
    1 x docking / port replicator - 124 pin docking
    1 x display / video - DVI-Digital - 24 pin digital DVI
    Miscellaneous
    Features Locking device keyhole (cable lock), wake on LAN, wake on ring

    Compliant Standards ACPI 1.0b
    Power
    Power Device External
    Voltage Required AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
    Battery
    Technology Lithium ion
    Installed Qty 1
    Run Time (Up To) 2.5 hour(s)
    Operating System / Software
    OS Provided Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Software Adobe Acrobat Reader, Norton AntiVirus, Cyberlink PowerDVD ,
    Acer System Recovery, Acer Launch Manager, NTI CD-Maker, Acer eManager,
    Acer GridVista
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Service & Support 1 year warranty
    Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 1 year
    Limited warranty - battery - 1 year
    Environmental Parameters
    Min Operating Temperature 41 °F
    Max Operating Temperature 95 °F
    Humidity Range Operating 10 - 90%

    We have this laptop available currently for $2099.99 with Free
    FedEx Ground in the continental U.S. Reply to this e-mail or call us to
    place your order as this item is not currently offered on our website.
    As a note, you might re-consider the non-shared memory option if
    the shared memory is adequate. We are currently offering the Acer
    Aspire 5002WLMi Turion 64 ML-30 1.6Ghz 512MB 80GB DVD+-RW 56k/LAN/FAST
    EN/802.11b/802.11g WiFi XP Pro 15 inch TFT XGA 1yr. Warranty for
    $1015.99 and Free Ground S+H at the following address:
    http://www.siliconalleycomputers.com/lowendnotebook.html
    This is a great laptop for the price and even though the video
    memory is shared, there is 512MB of memory (expandable to 2GB) and you
    should see no problems with the video unless you are doing some
    extremely video intensive work such as some advanced CAD or using a
    video input adapter or TV Tuner. The price difference is significant
    between these two laptops and the video memory is a big factor. What
    you will do with the laptop now and in the future should be the
    determining factor unless you just want the best available.

    Hope this helps,
    Brad
    Silicon Alley Computers
    http://www.siliconalleycomputers.com

    Silicon Alley Computers, Sep 16, 2005
  5. tlai909

    Quaoar Guest

    No, laptops do not *universally* have integrated video. It is very
    common for laptops to have low voltage versions of ATI and nVidia GPUs
    with 32MB to 256MB VRAM.

    Quaoar, Sep 17, 2005
  6. tlai909

    higgy Guest

    By integrated, I meant not a seperate card - as I did elaborate. I was
    unclear why the OP had passed over the HP, if it did have ATI graphics,
    but presumably lack of dedicated RAM was the problem.

    higgy.

    higgy, Sep 17, 2005
  7. tlai909

    higgy Guest

    I bought an Acer - I settled on one with a Sempron 2800 and ATI X600
    video. When I was looking, the Turions in the same (well, slightly more
    expensive) price range all lacked decent video for some reason (cost, I
    suppose). You had to go up to the much higher models, like the Ferrari you
    mention, to avoid both Semprons & shared memory video.

    higgy.

    higgy, Sep 17, 2005