    that allows closed-caption recording. So that I can still see
    the closed-caption when I view the recorded video on
    my PC. Thanks.

    Berry, Jun 3, 2007

  2. The Software that comes with the All-in-Wonder, HDTV Wonder and some other
    ATI products, MMC(MultiMedia Center), can record in ATI's own proprietary
    VCR format. That contains the CC. Some of the newer products come with
    CMC(Catalyst Media Center) software that AFAIK is made by Cyberlink and
    don't know that it has a format that supports CC.

    A couple of people have asked recently if anything else can play VCR files.
    AFAIK nothing but MMC can play them.

    Captain Midnight, Jun 4, 2007

  3. Berry

    Bill's News Guest

    This may vary greatly by capture card and playback software.

    For example: An OnAir HDTV capture device will display broadcast
    CC. After editing digital captures with VideoReDo, files played
    back via its player will also display CC, while Media Player
    Classic will not display CC from the very same captures.

    Older Hauppauge SD H250 or USB2 capture devices do not pass on
    CC at all. Perhaps contemporary Hauppauge devices/software may?

    Bill's News, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Berry

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Subtitles can be muxed into .mpg but CC can be other than
    subtitles.

    "Bill's News", what is shown when looking at the file under
    the "Filters" in Media Player Classic? There should be something
    like the following:
    ____________________
    Properties...
    * Video (0000,e0,00)
    * Audio (0000,c0,00)
    * Subtitle (0000,??,00)
    _____________________

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jun 11, 2007
  5. Berry

    Bill's News Guest

    Hi Ken,

    in the only file I checked, MPC shows:
    video 0000,eo,00
    audio 0000,bd,80
    subtitle 0000,00,00

    Neither MPC nor VLC has a sub-title selection enabled for these
    HDTV captures.

    Playback via the OnAir player will show the CC, as it will
    during capture.

    As far as I know, which ain't much, there are no subtitle
    "tracks" transmitted OTA - so it's either CC or nothin'.

    I've recently written to OnAir asking about capturing CC to a
    separate file. Their answer: it is on the list of user
    requests, but not near the top.

    BTW, it appears that in order for CC to be retained in the OnAir
    captures, CC must be enabled before capturing, otherwise there
    will be none in the post capture file.

    Am I to gather from your reply that you are able to get CC
    playback via MPC (or VLC) from your HDTV captures before/after
    editing with VRD?

    Bill's News, Jun 11, 2007
  6. Berry

    Berry Guest

    It seems to me that HDTV Wonder isn't capable of recording
    closed-caption. Its Media Center option page doesn't offer .VCR
    format for recording.

    Berry, Jun 11, 2007
  7. Berry

    PhxGrunge Guest

    The ATI HDTV Wonder records in .vcr format natively.
    Never record to any other format except "Native" for HD recordings. Then
    use the library program to convert the recordings to mpeg2 HD. You will lose
    program information and resolution is native is not selected for recording.

    PhxGrunge, Jun 11, 2007
  8. Berry

    clock Guest

    It's always some limitation here, some limitation there. Why is
    it "HD" in "native" mode only? Why can't MMC record in other
    modes now when it was able to capture analog TV signals in a
    number of resolutions with old AIW cards five years ago?

    clock, Jun 12, 2007
  9. Berry

    stratus46 Guest

    stratus46, Jun 12, 2007