    have an old case fan just sitting on top of the radeon 9800
    and it keeps the memory cool without heatsinks. The zalman would prevent
    that. So how does one ensure cooling the memory? Thanks

    David Lee, Nov 3, 2003

  2. David Lee

    Hellraiser Guest

    Yuk. The Thermaltake Giant II is better than the Zalman.

    Hellraiser........>

    Hellraiser, Nov 3, 2003

  3. David Lee

    Strontium Guest

    -
    David Lee stood up at show-n-tell, in
    A server tower, with a fan in the side blowing directly on the card....

    Strontium, Nov 3, 2003
  4. David Lee

    nightic Guest

    You'll only be able to fit very slim BGA RAMsinks to the non-GPU side of the
    card as the clearance between the RAM chips and the Zalman is rather fine.

    Having used the ZM80C-HP (with the optional 80mm fan) I would recommend it
    (allowed for a 20MHz artifact-free o/c on a 9800 Pro over stock cooling)
    although only 2nd to the following item which I currently use (which allows
    the fitting of most easily-available RAMsinks and cools even more
    effectively):

    http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/cooling/2003/VGASilencer/

    (google for more reviews, there are several although most require
    transaltion from German).

    nightic, Nov 3, 2003
  5. David Lee

    nightic Guest

    PS - if you're in the US, it's available exclusively (AFAIK) from SVC:

    http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/arcovgasilsu.html

    nightic, Nov 3, 2003
  6. David Lee

    nightic Guest

    For anyone else interested in the Zalman, the following RAMsinks are of the
    type/thickness that would fit on the non-GPU side of a Radeon 9800 Pro once
    the ZM80C-HP is in place:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=293584&pfp=BROWSE

    OCZ/Tweakmonster BGA RAMsinks will only be able to be fitted to the GPU side
    of the card.

    HTH

    nightic, Nov 3, 2003
  7. David Lee

    Highlandish Guest

    I just pre-ordered this same one. it is due in the webstore tomorrow and
    then they will ship it out to me, but someone who knows their stuff
    recommended this heatsink out of a dozen others so it must be worth it. it
    costs AUD$57.
    here is a readup. http://www.rbmods.com/Articles/Zalman/Zm80c-hp/1.php

    --
    Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

    Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings!
    You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.

    Wife: I don't like spam!

    Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

    Highlandish, Nov 3, 2003