    the VGA port. Does anyone know whether it will work?

    Thanks

    Luc Delorme

    Luc Delorme, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Luc Delorme

    journey Guest

    Hi, I just tried it with my 630m (same as XPS 140) that also has
    integrated graphics.

    It worked, but the quality isn't good -- letters are not very clear.

    On all the laptops I have had with dedicated video, they worked very
    well with the 24" monitor.

    I didn't do an exhaustive test like reboot my computer or anything
    like that ... for that I am afraid I would have to charge you my
    consulting fee :)

    Journey

    journey, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Luc Delorme

    Tom Scales Guest

    I can't imagine why it wouldn't. My I6000 allows me to dedicated 128MB to
    video memory. That's way more than enough for 1920x1200x32

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 16, 2006
  4. Luc Delorme

    journey Guest

    OK, I couldn't leave you hanging. I tried it and rebooted on my new
    630m with integrated graphics and I'm not happy with the result on the
    24" monitor, which is OK for me because I never intended it for that.

    It's hard to explain. The text is fuzzier, seems to have shadows even
    though there are no shadows, and nothing seems very sharp.

    My 700m did a good job on the 24", but not the 630m. Personally I
    wouldn't like using the 24" with whatever implementation of integrated
    graphics the 630m (and maybe the 6400) has.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 17, 2006
  5. Luc Delorme

    journey Guest

    A few other thoughts. You might have better luck with the 2005FPW or
    the 2001FP.

    If using it with an LCD is important, I would bet that soon one of the
    Core Duo 15.4 incarnations will have dedicated graphics.

    When the 6000 first came out it had only integrated graphics.

    "We've been down this road before and the scenery hasn't changed"

    Journey

    journey, Mar 17, 2006
  6. Did you try adjusting your DPI?

    Nicholas Andrade, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Luc Delorme

    journey Guest

    Hi Nicholas, it wasn't a matter of DPI. I use the normal DPI for all
    my computers. With the 630m it was the lower quaility of everything
    on the screen -- not very sharp. Personally it doesn't matter to me
    because I was just doing the test for the original poster. My 700m
    though did a better job -- I really don't know if the 700m had
    integrated or dedicated graphics. If integrated, then the method used
    for the 700m, in my experience, was superior.

    Those are my experiences to give the original poster more info.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 21, 2006
  8. Luc Delorme

    journey Guest

    The Inspiron E1505 now has dedicated graphics as an option. There is
    a $450 off coupon up to $1,499 and a $750 off coupon up to $1,999.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 21, 2006
  9. Luc Delorme

    Tom Scales Guest

    It shouldn't have mattered. If the card can do the resolution, the
    sharpness is a factor of the monitor, not the card. I would guess it wasn't
    set to its native resolution.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 21, 2006
  10. Luc Delorme

    journey Guest

    I just report what I do and what I see. It was set to native
    resolution, and I just tried it again to verify, and the results were
    the same.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 21, 2006
  11. Luc Delorme

    Tom Scales Guest

    Interesting.

    Tom Scales, Mar 22, 2006
  12. Luc Delorme

    journey Guest

    I think so too because I trust that it should work as you say. My
    knowledge about such things doesn't go very deep, just experiential.

    I was using the integrated graphics in a dual monitor config, with the
    24" being the extended monitor.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 22, 2006
  13. Luc Delorme

    User N Guest

    What you have described makes some sense if the 2405FPW is
    connected via analog interface. Is it?

    User N, Mar 22, 2006
  14. Luc Delorme

    journey Guest

    Yes, analog interface to the 630m's VGA out.

    journey, Mar 22, 2006