Anyone able to get MOO2 running under emulation on an Intel Mac?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 7, 2008.

  1. Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 7, 2008

  2. G'day Greg - I've had no luck getting SheepShaver running on my Intel
    Mac. I'd be in debt to anyone who has and who posts their method :)

    Getting the PC version is an idea - does it run with WinXP in
    virtualisation?

    Sadly I only have old G3 Macs running classic MacOS here so MOO2 still
    runs slow as ever. I don't know how I stood it back in the day, heh!

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 7, 2008

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    jt august Guest

    There we have it. Sometimes, it's just best to keep a couple older Macs
    around and play those old games on the hardware they were designed for.
    Games are among the most notorious for violating "Apple's rules," and
    thus not working on newer systems and OS's. Things can be worse on old
    PC games (DOS, Win 3.x through 98) when trying to emulate them on
    today's systems.

    I have an old LC2 I use to play a Tempest type game called Arashi. Oner
    OS 7.5 and later, it broke, and newer updates never came, so that old,
    slow LC2 w/ System 7.1 fills that bill.

    jt

    jt august, Sep 7, 2008
  4. I haven't tried that, but I'd offer the caution that getting MOO2 to run
    in XP is a problem in general. I've managed to do it before (not on my
    Mac), but I recall that it was far from trivial. I'm afraid I don't
    recall the details - just enough to sound a note of caution.

    In fact, at first when I saw the subject line about MOO2 running under
    emulation, I though that perhaps you were talking about running it in
    Windows in something like Parallels. Guess I didn't recall that there
    had even been a Mac version of MOO2 (I wasn't using Macs back then).

    Richard Maine, Sep 7, 2008
  5. My old CRT iMacs are good enough for almost any old game, but MOO2 is
    very CPU hungry in later turns. It was dog slow in the day (I can't
    hardly believe I once played it on an '040 Mac) and could be so much
    more fun nowadays with a speed boost.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 8, 2008