    get a component input adaptor for ATI cards, but I have not seen anything
    for Nvidia cards....
    TIA

    GTS, Oct 17, 2004

  2. GTS

    J. Clarke Guest

    The ATI component adapter does some handshaking with the board to set
    several resolutions that aren't normally shown by the display driver.
    Other than that there's nothing magic about it--you can get the same
    results with Powerstrip. The nvidias do provide component output on the
    standard VGA connector--you'll need a third-party adapter cable.

    Many HDTVs also have DVI inputs that can take the digital signal from the
    video board. That often gives better results than component.

    Using the component or DVI inputs will definitely give you better computer
    output than analog composite or S-video, assuming it's a real HDTV that
    actually displays 720P or better and not one of the standard definition
    sets with a digital tuner that are being made in preparation for the
    planned discontinuance of analog broadcast in the US.

    Generally speaking though HDTV display quality will not be as good as that
    on a good quality monitor purpose-made for computer use.

    J. Clarke, Oct 17, 2004

  3. GTS

    GTS Guest

    Thank you for the info. Here in the UK there are no plans for HD TV in the
    near future, so we're being left well behind by the USA, Japan, South Korea
    etc. I do download ripped HD TV shows from the states and the quality is
    fantastic, even after heavy compression. I guess things will change once
    blue-ray DVD players are available.
    However, some TV sets available here are 'HD ready', in particular the JVC
    d.i.s.t sets boast a "Component Input compatible with HD 1125i format
    signal". They seem to be capable of higher resolutions than standard TV's,
    which is why I wondered if I would get a better picture from my PC...
    BTW I think HD TV was invented here, or at least Europe - I saw HD being
    demo'd back in the eighties by Philips, but they failed to win Government
    backing for the project...

    GTS, Oct 18, 2004
  4. GTS

    J. Clarke Guest

    Like I said, _if_ the set can actually display that signal. In the US there
    are a lot of sets available that can accept a 1080i signal but the CRT,
    deflection system, and so on are the same as on an NTSC analog set so they
    can't actually display that resolution, and instead downscale it internally
    to NTSC levels. A TV that can actually display that resolution is still
    quite expensive.

    If you have a laptop take it to the store with you and see what the display
    looks like.

    J. Clarke, Oct 18, 2004
  5. GTS

    Chip Guest

    Not so. Sky are lauching HD in 2005 :)

    Chip

    Chip, Oct 18, 2004
  6. GTS

    Mac Cool Guest

    J. Clarke:
    Computer DVI and HDTV DVI are not compatible. The HDTV has to be built to
    accept computer DVI input.

    Mac Cool, Oct 19, 2004
  7. GTS

    tq96 Guest

    Many HDTVs also have DVI inputs that can take the digital signal from
    That's the disclaimer that TV manufacturers like, but I don't see why that
    should be the case. With HDTV, HDCP is optional, so as long as you coax
    your video card into outputting 1280x720 or 1920x1080, I'd expect there to
    be a good chance of it working. Even if 1920x1080 doesn't work because the
    signal isn't interlaced, 1280x720 still ought to.

    tq96, Oct 19, 2004
  8. GTS

    J. Clarke Guest

    Shh. Don't tell mine.

    Where the incompatibility comes in is that most PC video boards don't list
    the correct resolutions for HDTV on the menu, so you have to use Powerstrip
    or one of the other third-party utilities to set them.

    J. Clarke, Oct 19, 2004
  9. GTS

    CapFusion Guest

    DVI on PC and HDTV will work. Resolution may not be there.

    CapFusion,...

    CapFusion, Oct 19, 2004
  10. GTS

    Mac Cool Guest

    J. Clarke:
    If I remember correctly, you outlined (in another group) an extensive
    amount of experimentation to get it to work (about 9 months ago). I didn't
    realize you were using DVI to DVI, I don't remember you mentioning that.

    I bought my HDTV in January and started reading up on how to connect my PC
    for HD output and the only reliable and safe method I found was using an
    RGB converter box. I read a few reports of people who were able to output
    using DVI and I think they all had Sony televisions.

    I realize it is possible to use Powerstrip but I read enough warnings that
    I decided it wasn't worth the risk (to me).

    Mac Cool, Oct 20, 2004
  11. GTS

    Mac Cool Guest

    CapFusion:
    Not on all HDTVs.

    Mac Cool, Oct 20, 2004
  12. GTS

    J. Clarke Guest

    Not much experimentation. 640x480 worked out of the box, took some tweaking
    to get the hi-res right but it was hardly "extensive experimentation".
    What risk? Powerstrip's free--if it doesn't work then delete it.

    J. Clarke, Oct 20, 2004
  13. GTS

    CapFusion Guest

    CapFusion, Oct 20, 2004