    Le Chiffre Guest

    I did a software update last night and security update 2011-003 downloads and tries to install and then encounters an unexpected error and cannot be installed. This has never happened before on any version of OS X I've used, and currently using 10.6.7.

    Repeated attempts to install the update also yield the same result.

    Le Chiffre, Jun 1, 2011

  2. I had no problems, but I was surprised that it didn't require a reboot.

    I suggest that you check your disk with Disk Utility or a third-party disk
    diagnosis and repair program.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 1, 2011

  3. Le Chiffre

    David Empson Guest

    Have you tried doing a manual download and install rather than using
    Software Update?

    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1387

    If that also fails to install, you can open the Installer Log (via the
    Window menu in Installer) and see what it reports.

    David Empson, Jun 1, 2011
  4. Le Chiffre

    Le Chiffre Guest

    I did a disk verify and it turned out fine. But then I did a
    permission verify and I got this:

    2011-06-01 06:36:47 -0400: Permissions differ on "usr/libexec/cups/
    backend/smb", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -r-x------ .
    2011-06-01 06:36:49 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/
    JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.jar", should
    be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .

    2011-06-01 06:36:49 -0400: User differs on "System/Library/Java/
    JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib", should be 0, user is
    95.
    2011-06-01 06:36:49 -0400: User differs on "System/Library/Java/
    JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries", should be 0, user
    is 95.
    2011-06-01 06:36:50 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/
    Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts", should be
    lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    2011-06-01 06:36:50 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/
    Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be
    lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    2011-06-01 06:36:50 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/
    Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/
    Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are
    lrw-r--r-- .
    2011-06-01 06:37:31 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/
    Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Classes/jconsole.jar",
    should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    2011-06-01 06:37:31 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/
    Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/
    Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are
    lrw-r--r-- .
    2011-06-01 06:37:31 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/
    Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/
    Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are
    lrw-r--r-- .
    2011-06-01 06:37:31 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/
    Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/
    Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they
    are lrwxr-xr-x .
    2011-06-01 06:37:31 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/
    Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/
    Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/
    deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    2011-06-01 06:43:40 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/
    Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/
    JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -
    rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    2011-06-01 06:43:40 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/
    Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/
    JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib",
    should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    2011-06-01 06:45:20 -0400: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/
    CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent"
    has been modified and will not be repaired.
    2011-06-01 06:46:48 -0400: Permissions differ on "System/Library/
    CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-
    r--r-- .

    Which of these to I need to fix and which can be safely ignored?

    btw...the first one:

    "usr/libexec/cups/backend/smb", should be -rwxr-xr-x

    I can't seem to do anything about as I can't chown that to 755 even as
    root.

    I recently did a system restore from Time Machine, and then this
    happened. It also happened that two songs from my iTunes library were
    mysteriously "missed" by my Time Machine backups, so those need to be
    replaced also.

    TIme Machine sucks.

    Le Chiffre, Jun 1, 2011
  5. Le Chiffre

    Le Chiffre Guest

    Here's the error output from the installer log:

    Begin log:

    Jun 1 07:39:07 UsersMac installd[1388]: PackageKit: ----- Begin
    install -----
    Jun 1 07:39:22 UsersMac /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
    PackageKit.framework/Resources/shove[1407]: [source=file] failed
    _RelinkFile(/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/Cleanup At
    Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root/System/Library/CoreServices/
    CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.plist, /System/Library/
    CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.plist):
    Operation not permitted
    Jun 1 07:39:22 UsersMac installd[1388]: PackageKit: Install Failed:
    (null)\nError Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=120
    UserInfo=0x100442100 "An unexpected error occurred while moving files
    to the final destination." Underlying Error=(Error
    Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldn’t be completed..
    Operation not permitted") {\n NSLocalizedDescription = "An
    unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final
    destination.";\n NSUnderlyingError = "Error
    Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be
    completed. Operation not permitted\"";\n arguments = (\n
    "-f",\n "-s",\n "/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee++++++++
    +++/Cleanup At Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root",\n "/"\n );
    \n}
    Jun 1 07:39:22 UsersMac Installer[1336]: Install failed: The
    Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail.
    Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
    Jun 1 07:39:22 UsersMac Installer[1336]: Displaying 'Install Failed'
    UI.
    Jun 1 07:39:22 UsersMac Installer[1336]: 'Install Failed' UI
    displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the
    installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for
    assistance.'.

    End log

    Le Chiffre, Jun 1, 2011
  6. Le Chiffre

    David Empson Guest

    [Snip rest of list]

    Most messages reported by repair permissions can be ignored. Most of the
    "errors" it displays are due to something Apple has changed between the
    release of the system and the latest updates. Some are due to two
    installers having a different opinion about what permissions should be
    used for an item (either of which is arguably correct).
    (I assume you meant "chmod", not "chown".)

    Mine is 755. I can't think why you wouldn't be able to change the mode
    on that file, unless it was marked with the nouchg flag.

    Try doing

    ls -laO /user/libexec/cups/backend/

    and see whether smb has anything other than "-" in the column after
    "wheel".

    David Empson, Jun 1, 2011
  7. Le Chiffre

    David Empson Guest

    Interretation: Installer set up a temporary copy of all the installed
    files, was trying to move XProtect.plist into its final location (inside
    /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle), but it failed because
    that operation was not permitted (not particularly clear why it was not
    permitted).

    I suspect you have some kind of file system or operating system
    corruption. Since Verify Disk said everything was OK, it may be prudent
    to do a full system reinstall and reapply all updates.

    Remaining error messages are cascading ones caused by the preceding
    error.

    David Empson, Jun 1, 2011
  8. Le Chiffre

    Alan Browne Guest

    I've had 2 or 3 instances of major s/w updates not installing. I can't,
    at present, install the latest free v. of XCode (3.2.6). In the past
    I've had trouble with a SL update that required a clean install of 10.6
    before being able to update to 10.6.4 (or .5..) from its predecessor.

    Alan Browne, Jun 1, 2011
  9. Le Chiffre

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Could be permissions or ownership on the file or its destination.
    Repair Permission could fix it—or cause it.
    If you, as yourself, copy a file owned by root, the copy may actually
    succeed but the changing owner to you fail. When that happens,
    the above message is generated. If the installer script checks
    the status variable and acts on it, it may be doing the wrong thing
    after that. Where the "right thing" might succeed in spite of the error.

    Wes Groleau, Jun 2, 2011
  10. Le Chiffre

    Le Chiffre Guest

    It says uchg after "wheel", so it appears the user immutable flag is
    set. Do I need to go into single user mode to change it, then chmod to
    755?

    Le Chiffre, Jun 2, 2011
  11. Le Chiffre

    Le Chiffre Guest

    So what should I do about it? I don't want to re install Snow Leopard
    and re install all my developer tools, third party utilities, mac
    ports etc... over this one file if I can fix it myself.

    Is there someone maybe at Apple, the developers of the update that I
    can contact?

    Le Chiffre, Jun 2, 2011
  12. Le Chiffre

    Le Chiffre Guest

    Okay, I got the update to install correctly by removing the uchg flag
    on every file where it was set and where it gave the update installer
    an error because the flag was preventing those files from being
    replaced by those that were in the update.

    But what I need now is a bash script that will loop through my file
    system and find every file and folder for which the uchg flag is set
    so that I can unset it because it is causing trouble for other
    updates.

    Le Chiffre, Jun 2, 2011
  13. Le Chiffre

    David Empson Guest

    If the uchg flag is set on that file, I'd be inclined to suspect it is
    set all over the place in the system, and this is what is causing your
    problem with installing the latest security update (on another file in
    an obscure place in the system).

    I don't know whether anything is supposed to have that flag set. If not,
    one possibile solution would be to do a recursive

    sudo chflags -R nouchg /

    but it would be safer to reinstall the system.

    David Empson, Jun 2, 2011
  14. Le Chiffre

    vnavone

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    I am having the same problem, in that I cannot install the security update. Tried downloading the installer and doing it manually, but no dice. Here's what the installer log has to say:

    Jun 1 21:44:47 Victors-iMac installd[12576]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
    Jun 1 21:44:54 Victors-iMac /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PackageKit.framework/Resources/shove[12580]: [source=file] failed _RelinkFile(/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/Cleanup At Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane/Contents/Info.plist, /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane/Contents/Info.plist): Operation not permitted
    Jun 1 21:44:54 Victors-iMac installd[12576]: PackageKit: Install Failed: (null)\nError Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=120 UserInfo=0x10021fe80 "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted") {\n NSLocalizedDescription = "An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination.";\n NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 \"The operation couldn\U2019t be completed. Operation not permitted\"";\n arguments = (\n "-f",\n "-s",\n "/var/folders/zz/zzzivhrRnAmviuee+++++++++++/Cleanup At Startup/PKInstallSandbox-tmp/Root",\n "/"\n );\n}
    Jun 1 21:44:54 Victors-iMac Installer[12565]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
    Jun 1 21:44:55 Victors-iMac Installer[12565]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
    Jun 1 21:44:55 Victors-iMac Installer[12565]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

    While I'm moderately OS X savvy and can do some things in the terminal, I don't know how to find and deal with uchg flags. Could you please elaborate on how you did this so I can fix my problem? Thanks!

    vnavone, Jun 2, 2011
  15. Le Chiffre

    Jim Gibson Guest

    <>, Le
    sudo find / -exec ls -lO {} \; | grep uchg

    should find them.

    Jim Gibson, Jun 7, 2011
  16. Le Chiffre

    Salmon Egg Guest

    I installed it. It was useless. I still got into an endless loop of
    modal dialog boxes with no exit short of force quitting. Maybe I should
    switch from Safari to (horrors) chrome.

    Bill

    Salmon Egg, Jun 7, 2011
  17. Le Chiffre

    Alan Browne Guest

    What's wrong with Chrome?

    Alan Browne, Jun 7, 2011
  18. Le Chiffre

    Tim McNamara Guest

    It's basically a voluntary invasion of your privacy, sending a torrent
    of information about your Web use habits to Google. If you want to use
    it, use Chromium instead which has most of that code stripped out.

    Tim McNamara, Jun 7, 2011
  19. Le Chiffre

    Alan Browne Guest

    The 'voluntary' aspects of that I have shut off. (You opt in). The
    "speed" enhancers I leave on.

    Frankly I don't think Google are targeting me for anything worse than
    advertising. Which in the main I ignore.

    Alan Browne, Jun 7, 2011
  20. Le Chiffre

    Paul Sture Guest

    It starts to get worrying when you see adverts for highly specific data
    centre products on the front page of a normal newspaper web site.

    Something which happened a couple of weeks ago had me wondering about
    the level of targeting.

    When browsing a UK based IT web site I was presented with an ad for my
    cable company's services. (internet, TV, phone). Within a minute I had
    an email from them advertising an upgrade.

    No I hadn't clicked on the ad. Yes I do believe that they looked up my
    account details from the IP address they got from the ad display, and
    sent me an email as a result.

    No, I'm not particularly fussed about it, but if it gets too invasive
    or overwhelming I might be in the future.

    Paul Sture, Jun 8, 2011