    and saw the letters CMOS, but it flashed by before I could read
    it. Any chance of this being the fabled NF2 BIOS corruption issue?
    Of course I tried resetting the BIOS via the jumber, but to no avail.

    Fishface, Jan 19, 2008

  2. Fishface

    RobV Guest

    Fishface wrote:
    > My Abit NF7-S v.2 stopped posting. No beeps. Lights are on,
    > but nobody's home. I did notice a message at previous boot
    > and saw the letters CMOS, but it flashed by before I could read
    > it. Any chance of this being the fabled NF2 BIOS corruption issue?
    > Of course I tried resetting the BIOS via the jumber, but to no avail.

    Something I have to look forward to? I'm not familiar with that
    problem, although I probably heard of it when I built the system, as I
    installed a BIOS Savior for some reason. No problems with my NF7-S ver.
    2 since it was built a number of years ago (5, 6). It's still working
    as my wife's computer and no problems with anything. It is getting
    around that time when the battery starts to die, as they're 5 year +-
    (mostly plus a few years) batteries.

    Maybe BIOS Savior will actually get some use (if I can find the manual).

    Is it possible your PSU decided to quit?

    RobV, Jan 19, 2008

  3. Fishface

    Fishface Guest

    RobV wrote:
    > Fishface wrote:
    >> My Abit NF7-S v.2 stopped posting. No beeps. Lights are on,
    >> but nobody's home. I did notice a message at previous boot
    >> and saw the letters CMOS, but it flashed by before I could read
    >> it. Any chance of this being the fabled NF2 BIOS corruption issue?
    >> Of course I tried resetting the BIOS via the jumber, but to no avail.

    > Something I have to look forward to? I'm not familiar with that problem,
    > although I probably heard of it when I built the system, as I installed a
    > BIOS Savior for some reason. No problems with my NF7-S ver. 2
    > since it was built a number of years ago (5, 6). It's still working as my
    > wife's computer and no problems with anything. It is getting around
    > that time when the battery starts to die, as they're 5 year +- (mostly plus
    > a few years) batteries.

    I did try a new battery but that didn't help, either.

    > Maybe BIOS Savior will actually get some use (if I can find the manual).
    >
    > Is it possible your PSU decided to quit?

    Nope. I seem to have a house full of spare parts! I tested it stripped and
    on the box. Different RAM, different video card. I don't have a spare
    Socket A CPU though. No video card and no RAM still produced no beeps.
    Yes, speaker connected!

    Abit's Web Store sells the BIOS chip for $6 plus whatever shipping is.
    Might be worth the gamble. If it works, I can probably hot flash the old
    one and have a spare. There was some mention of Corsair TwinX memory
    (which is what I have) in relation to this problem. I hadn't heard of the
    NF2 bios corruption, either, until I went searching after this happened.

    Fishface, Jan 20, 2008
  4. Fishface

    RobV Guest

    Fishface wrote:
    > RobV wrote:
    >> Fishface wrote:
    >>> My Abit NF7-S v.2 stopped posting. No beeps. Lights are on,
    >>> but nobody's home. I did notice a message at previous boot
    >>> and saw the letters CMOS, but it flashed by before I could read
    >>> it. Any chance of this being the fabled NF2 BIOS corruption issue?
    >>> Of course I tried resetting the BIOS via the jumber, but to no
    >>> avail.

    >> Something I have to look forward to? I'm not familiar with that
    >> problem, although I probably heard of it when I built the system, as
    >> I installed a BIOS Savior for some reason. No problems with my
    >> NF7-S ver. 2 since it was built a number of years ago (5, 6). It's
    >> still working
    >> as my wife's computer and no problems with anything. It is getting
    >> around that time when the battery starts to die, as they're 5 year +-
    >> (mostly plus a few years) batteries.

    > I did try a new battery but that didn't help, either.
    >
    >> Maybe BIOS Savior will actually get some use (if I can find the
    >> manual). Is it possible your PSU decided to quit?

    > Nope. I seem to have a house full of spare parts! I tested it
    > stripped and on the box. Different RAM, different video card. I
    > don't have a spare Socket A CPU though. No video card and no RAM
    > still produced no beeps. Yes, speaker connected!
    >
    > Abit's Web Store sells the BIOS chip for $6 plus whatever shipping is.
    > Might be worth the gamble. If it works, I can probably hot flash the
    > old one and have a spare. There was some mention of Corsair TwinX
    > memory (which is what I have) in relation to this problem. I hadn't
    > heard of the NF2 bios corruption, either, until I went searching
    > after this happened.

    That would be great if you can get a new one for $6. Actually, it's
    best if that is the problem, since another bad component would make
    troubleshooting the problem very difficult.

    I have 1 GB of OCZ memory in the Abit system, so I guess I'm safe. I
    can't see how a particular brand of memory would kill the CMOS chip,
    but I'm sure stranger things have happened. Good luck with it!

    RobV, Jan 20, 2008