Anyone give me a step by step to setting up raid 0?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Mike Barnard, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    Or a link to it, of course?

    I have a Giga GA - 7N400 Pro2 mobo running a stable 1700+. winXP
    system. However, it will soon get a major makeover including...

    3200+ CPU,
    2 x 512 meg Crucial PC3200's,
    Zalman 400w noisless (bliss) PSU,
    9800 pro 128meg graphics, and crucially
    3 x Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB UIDE 100 7200rpm 8mb Cache

    Assuming I assemble the hardware without blowing anything up, I want
    to run two of the HDD's in raid 0 for data transfer speed. (I know,
    the most fragile way of doing it, but thats a seperate issue ATM). I
    also want to dual boot. (Had a good read of
    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/, very good info). So can anyone
    tell me exactly what I need to do to run in raid0? I have never used
    raid before.

    I assume...

    At power up, go into bios and enable raid.
    [do I enable / disable anything else?]

    During boot, press whatever keys the bios says to set up raid and make
    the bios see them as one HDD with 320 gig capacity.

    Use partition magic to set up the required partitions and format them.

    Install Os's as per above link.

    Get the latest drivers for raid for the OS's?

    I'm sure there's much more to it, so could some kind soul fill in the
    blanks in as much detail as they feel like doing? It would help an
    old man in his dotage very much! Well, I feel old sometimes, anyway.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mike Barnard, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Mike Barnard

    rpilgrim7448 Guest

    Extract the RAID driver from the mainboard CD to a floppy. Windows will ask
    for it at the beginning. You've pretty much got the rest right. The raid
    driver came on the mainboard CD not on the Windows CD. If you have any
    problem, send me a message. I just went through this on a GA-K8NNXP And set
    up a RAID0 SATA and a RAID1 IDE.

    rpilgrim7448, Apr 10, 2004

  3. Mike Barnard

    Mike Barnard Guest

    Surley by time I'm instaling windows I'll have a CD up and running?
    Still, I suppose it stops me removing the install CD during install.
    Good tip, thanks.
    It'll be a few days before I get the parts now; bloody Easter! I
    ordered tham ages ago and one delivery had the wrong board, and now
    another one hasn't turned up so I also have no RAM. Sigh.

    Thanks.

    Mike Barnard, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Mike Barnard

    CrimsonLiar Guest

    Nope you'll need to extract the drivers to floppy before hand (and be sure
    to test them). Also, you'll need a conventional floppy drive to install
    them from, for all its wiz bang support XP install doesnt yet cope with USB
    floppy drives or even SuperDisk IDE floppys!

    CrimsonLiar

    CrimsonLiar, Apr 10, 2004
  5. Mike Barnard

    Kris Vorwerk Guest

    I also want to dual boot.

    I use a RAID0 array (with two Western Digital 40MB drives) using my
    8KNXP's IT8212F IDE RAID driver, primarily with Linux, and it works
    like a charm.

    I think that the 7N400 uses the same chip (a cursory Google search
    seems to indicate that). You might find it useful to know that you
    can download the latest software drivers (for Linux and Windows, as
    well as their source code) directly from the ITE site:

    http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212 ATA133 Controller

    -kris

    Kris Vorwerk, Apr 12, 2004
  6. Mike Barnard