  1. I only just got an update message telling me to update to Mavericks on my 2010 MacBook Pro.

    I cant say I didn't know about it as my 2009 MacBook received its update about a month ago and I had to spend a short amount of time running a node check to straighten out things the upgrade screwed up a bit. I just dont understand what governs when your computer either knows or is told by the mothership that there is an update out there which it needs?

    Update has been working, - it has been telling me for a month or so that itneeds an update to iTunes and Digital Camera RAW Compatibility; which I havent been bothering to install because I dont use RAW files and stopped believing long ago that any update to iTunes was anything other than some method of making spending money easier with iTunes.

    licensedtoquill, Jan 1, 2014

  2. licensedtoquill

    Don Bruder Guest

    Back here in 10.4 land, it's an "E.T., Phone home!" thing. Whenever the
    last update happened, that's the time of day the "call" happens.
    Basically, your rig says "When was the last time I did an update check?
    Oh - long enough ago. OK, Hey! Apple! Any updates for me? There are? OK,
    hand 'em to me." Or "Nothing? OK, I'll check back tomorrow/next
    week/whatever."

    Don Bruder, Jan 1, 2014

  3. OK but my question was how I have been updating regularly for the last two months that Mavericks has been out there and it has taken two months for the mothership to notice that there is a whole OS upgrade out there

    licensedtoquill, Jan 1, 2014
  4. licensedtoquill

    David Ritz Guest

    David Ritz, Jan 1, 2014
  5. licensedtoquill

    J Burns Guest

    When Software Update offered me 10.9.0, I declined to update at the
    time. I didn't see it offered again. I sought out 10.9.1 when it was
    available.

    J Burns, Jan 1, 2014
  6. licensedtoquill

    David Ritz Guest

    David Ritz, Jan 1, 2014
  7. licensedtoquill

    JF Mezei Guest

    launchd has batch job timing capabilities so software update would run
    at regular intervals.

    In your case, it is possible that Apple's servers didn't tell your
    software update about availibility of Mavericks for some reason.
    Consider a theoretical case where they know of a problem with your
    hardware or others software on your machine and decide not to offer
    Mavericks yet.

    It could also be that Apple wants to stagger updates to reduce
    network/server loads.

    If you manually go to the app store, does it offer you Maveriks if you
    ask for it ?

    JF Mezei, Jan 1, 2014
  8. licensedtoquill

    J Burns Guest

    I'm not talking about 10.9.1. I don't recall the wording of the buttons
    in Software Update, but when I've declined other updates, I understood I
    was saying "not now." The next time Software Update checked, they would
    be offered again.

    When I declined 10.9.0, I assumed it would be offered a week later, when
    Software Update checked again and I'd had time to think it over. It
    wasn't. My point was that Software Update didn't treat Mavericks like
    other updates.

    J Burns, Jan 2, 2014
  9. licensedtoquill

    David Empson Guest

    Mavericks isn't being offered via the Software Update mechanism. It
    appears that App Store in Mountain Lion (and later) has a new mechanism
    to offer major OS upgrades periodically, which is separate from the
    Software Update and App Update mechanisms.

    In 10.6 and 10.7, App Store only handled app updates. Software Update
    was separate, using basically the same user interface as in earlier OS X
    versions.

    In 10.8, Apple moved the Software Update user interface into App Store,
    but kept the underlying infrastructure the same, including the command
    line "softwareupdate" tool, the servers involved, the mechanisms to find
    updates, the receipts database and tie-in with Installer.app, etc. App
    Store presents all these updates in a single "Software Update" section
    in App Store. App updates are listed in a separate group and have a
    different infrastructure and implementation (tied to the iTunes Store,
    and handled similarly to iOS app updates).

    The offer of Mavericks on the Updates tab in 10.8's App Store is not
    part of the Software Update category, nor does it appear via the command
    line softwareupdate tool, nor is it downloaded automatically if
    automatic update downloads are enabled. It isn't the same as App updates
    either, so it must be a new category. We don't have much information as
    to how this mechanism works.

    David Empson, Jan 2, 2014
  10. Thanks guys, I think you are both on to something: OS upgrades are indeed handled differently though they do look superficially the same. There are two categories now in what looks like Software Update and it had a multi-gigabyte update for iMovie and iPhoto at the same time.

    In addition, I DID have an applecare issue at the time 10.9 came out related to a motherboard issue which may have prevented my being offered Mavericks at that stage. Curiously Apple assigned me a senior adviser to take care of it after I had spent around 20-30 hours on the phone and had three to five visits to the store and returns to the depot where they couldnt reallyfigure out what was wrong with the unit.

    By the time 10.9.1 came out, it SEEMS either the rep had (gone ill or) dropped the ball and Apple were no longer interested in assisting me. So they pumped out the upgrade when they gave up trying to help me (won't return my calls) and closed the case out?

    licensedtoquill, Jan 2, 2014
  11. licensedtoquill

    J Burns Guest

    Is your computer still broken?

    It seemed funny that they offered Mavericks by Software Update. I
    wonder how many customers they expected to click "update"? Even if you
    wanted to switch to an unknown OS without thinking it over, you'd need
    to be sure everything was backed up, the downtime could be hours, and it
    might take additional time to get everything working with the new OS.

    I wonder if Software Update was used as a sort of email ad, to let
    customers know Mavericks was available. If Apple had both your
    computers listed under the same owner, maybe that's why Mavericks was
    offered only once.

    After I turned down 10.9.0, Software Update kept offering me
    Mavericks-compatible app updates. I wonder if that was another way of
    reminding customers that Mavericks was available.

    J Burns, Jan 2, 2014