    classic Mac emulation is so far behind :-(

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 26, 2008

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Bo Lindbergh Guest

    Opened by both _at the same time_? That spells "inevitable corruption".

    /Bo Lindbergh

    Bo Lindbergh, Nov 26, 2008

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ZnU Guest

    It's probably so far behind because it wasn't that necessary until the
    Intel switch. OS 9 in Classic still ran a lot of old Mac games even on
    the last PPC systems Apple ever made.

    The requirement for emulators to use old Mac ROMs introduces tricky
    legal issues as well. While these same issues exist in theory for other
    old platforms, they tend not to exist in practice because when compared
    with Apple, the companies with rights to the intellectual property
    involved with other vintage computers are rather more... dead.

    (Hmm, your post caused me to go take a look at some of this stuff. I
    find it rather amusing that I can download System 7 -- the system that
    came on my first Mac, a Quadra 660AV -- in about five seconds. Wonder if
    I'll be able to download Leopard in five seconds in another 15 years.
    That would require consumer Internet speeds to be about 1000x faster.
    And would require rather faster local storage as well, obviously.)

    ZnU, Nov 26, 2008
  4. No, course not.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 26, 2008
  5. SS and Basilisk crashed at various resolutions and upon running most old
    games I wished to run, e.g MOO2 which I have now bought for the PC and
    run in DOSBox. But I wish I could still run Mac only games like
    Ambrosia's Harry the Handsome Executive.

    May I ask how you got SS to run well? What ROM/MacOS version? What
    software do you commonly run?
    I suppose :-(

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 26, 2008
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Try <http://macwp.com/files/SS-WP 1.1.zip>. It's an implementation
    that supports shared folders between OS 9 and Mac OS.

    Tom Stiller, Nov 26, 2008
  7. I'll give it a go, thanks.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 27, 2008
  8. Booting sucessfully is one thing. Running an app without crashing is
    another.
    Yeah, sadly that's when it all fell apart for me.
    Cheers JR, I'll give them a go! :)
    I guess. Well, I'll give your ROMs a go and hope they work out better
    for me.

    Cheers,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 27, 2008
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    jamiekg Guest

    jamiekg, Dec 19, 2008
  10.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 19, 2008
  11. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Ymir Guest

    Just dismiss that particular error and delete the associated script from
    the startup items folder. It works fine.

    André

    Ymir, Dec 19, 2008
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    M-M Guest

    Yes, I have Sheepshaver running fine. It runs Pro Pinball better than
    Classic- no hiccups at all.

    It boots OS9 quickly and connects to my OSX folders.

    Only thing my laptop fan runs constantly so I fear it may be heating up
    the processor too much.

    M-M, Dec 19, 2008
  13. NM, it turns out using Stuffit Expander v13 to decompress the zip file
    damages the DMG image. Weird but true. Don't ask me why I was using
    Stuffit which I know sucks. Using OSX's archive utility worked fine. No
    errors now.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 19, 2008
  14. Huh - it couldn't run Ambrosia's Harry the Handsome Executive without
    major stuttering on my 2.8GHz Intel 24" iMac. How are you getting such
    good performance? As for classic - it was much better than SS - of
    course that was on PPC Macs.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 19, 2008
  15. Jamie Kahn Genet

    M-M Guest

    In the SS GUI, go to the "Graphics/Sound" tab and change the refresh
    rate to 60 Hz.

    I'll bet that fixes it.

    M-M, Dec 20, 2008
  16. Afraid not. It still stutters badly and can't even play Harry's music
    smoothly which I guess shouldn't surprise me given SS uses 20% of my CPU
    just doping nothing. If that's what it takes to run the clock in System
    7.5's menubar I don't think games are realistic for me :-( What machine
    are you running SS on?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 20, 2008
  17. Jamie Kahn Genet

    M-M Guest

    I run it on a MacBook (2.16 gHz/ 1 gb RAM) and a MBPro.
    I got so much stuttering in ProPinball in Classic it was unusable. It
    works quite well in SS although the fan is blasting.

    M-M, Dec 20, 2008
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet

    M-M Guest

    I downloaded a trial version and it seems to run fine. The music sounds
    a bit choppy though,

    M-M, Dec 20, 2008
  19. True, even though the secondhand market here in NZ sucks it might be
    worth doing just that *sigh*

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 20, 2008
  20. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I'll _give_ you a working Quadra if you're willing to
    pay USA to New Zealand shipping. :)

    Wes Groleau, Dec 20, 2008