    that true?

    I'm not looking to mod my PS connector unless thats the only route.
    Just wondering what others have accomplished.

    Guest, Feb 1, 2005

  2. Guest

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    Yup...a pair of 2600+ MPs, Barton core (not mobile chips). It runs fast!

    R. J. Salvi, Feb 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    RJ...

    Can you give me some details on what you had to do to get these chips
    to be recognized? Any hardware mods, tweaks, whatever? I thought the
    Barton core was the mobile chip. Are the mobile chips workable?

    Guest, Feb 1, 2005
  4. Guest

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    R. J. Salvi, Feb 1, 2005
  5. Guest

    dr ratt Guest

    i use a pair of mobile xp2400s [barton core 266mhz fsb] in my s2460 bios
    1.05. i also use a pair of xp-tmcs [total multiplier control] that allow the
    cpus to run at the full 2ghz, not the 800mhz that all mobile athlons default
    to in non-power now motherboards.
    they run fine and about 8celsius cooler than mp1600 palamino core under full
    load. i found 1.65v to be most stable.
    good luck,
    dr ratt

    dr ratt, Feb 1, 2005
  6. Guest

    dr ratt Guest

    dr ratt, Feb 1, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    So are your XPs mobile or desktop? How cheap can I get a couple of
    used but serviceable xp2400s for, and where can I get the xp-tmcs?
    The other alternative is modding the chip or the underside of the cpu
    socket... right?

    Guest, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Guest

    Joe Stella Guest

    How much power do these chips draw? I would love to try a couple
    but I'm worried about the infamous "power connector meltdown" problem...

    Joe Stella, Feb 2, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have MP2800+ CPUs in my s2460. The genuine thing. I was concerned about
    the ATX connector melting, even if the MP2800s draw less current than the
    recommend MP1900s, so I soldered on 4 extra 5v leads (and 1 each neutral and
    12v : total of six points). It's been running that way for about 12 months
    now. No problems. No other mods were made. BIOS 1.05. The CPUs are
    recognised in the BIOS as running at 2000mhz, but Windows XP and CPUid both
    pick them up as 2800s.

    I would advise adding extra PS connector leads if your going over about
    1600+ speeds. There have been reports of the connector burning out with
    1600+ CPUs. But then again I expect my system to run for years. If you
    don't intend to use your system in 2 years time, does it matter?

    SnowGhost

    Guest, Feb 2, 2005
  10. Guest

    dr ratt Guest

    less than the palamino core cpus the board was originally designed for.
    in over 3 years operation, i've never experienced the melting power
    connector, probably due to use of quality psu.

    dr ratt

    dr ratt, Feb 2, 2005
  11. Guest

    dr ratt Guest

    xp-ms are xp mobile cpus with barton core & 266mhz fsb. 2nd hand price is
    anyone's guess, but i'd personally not go for used.
    plain xps [of that speed {ie > xp1900 palamino}] will need some sort of
    modding to run in smp; xp mobiles on the other hand were smp capable from
    amd.
    i think modding bridges on the cpu is neccessary for multiplier adjustments
    [without xp-tmcs], could be wrong though.
    i also wire-modded the tmcs for 1.65volts [xp-ms default to 1.45v, old
    palaminos used 1.75v] as described at
    www.ocinside.de
    [there's english version of site]. here's the manufacturer's link for
    xp-tmcs.-
    http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/xptmc.htm
    and where i got mine -
    http://www.jes-computer.de/index.php?cat=62

    dr ratt

    dr ratt, Feb 2, 2005
  12. Guest

    USA-KOSH Guest

    OK, im confused. Can MP2800+ be used on S2460 mobo with out any mods
    to the power supply ?

    USA-KOSH, Mar 30, 2005