  1. Will

    Will Guest

    Does anyone make a 17 inch widescreen tablet PC?

    Will, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    No. The bigger the Tablet PC configuration, the heavier it is.

    Chris H., Jul 23, 2005

  3. Will

    Mickey Segal Guest

    People have discussed jumbo tablets before; they are a great idea for people
    who need pen input and don't need to carry around the tablet. Ultimately
    one would expect a diversity of sizes for a diversity of needs. I'd expect
    doctors to want the jacket pocket size and artists to want the jumbo size.

    Mickey Segal, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    The larger the configuration, the more put into that configuration, the
    heavier the unit will be. It isn't ideal for a hallway warrior or anyone
    who carries a Tablet PC into a field condition, or like a warehouse doing
    inventory.

    The trend in Tablet PCs (including the recently released Motion LS800) has
    been to push the 4-pound barrier, dipping toward a 3-pounder. When you add
    a large screen, there's more interior space, too, so manufacturers are more
    likely to build in a CD or DVD drive, adding more weight.

    If you're a sports coach and want to show your charges a play to use, would
    you want a unit it takes two hands to hold? How do you draw a diagram of a
    play? There are plenty of laptops with larger screens if that's what one is
    wanting. There are laptops which even have remote controls with them for
    viewing DVD movies. But, they just don't do Ink. :cool:

    Chris H., Jul 24, 2005
  5. Will

    terri Guest

    No 17" yet, but take a close look at the Toshiba Tecra M4. It's quite a
    large Tablet PC and I'd consider it close to a desktop replacement.
    --
    Terri Stratton
    Editor / Owner

    terri, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    Oh, I "get it" Jonathan. Always have, and was only presenting a opposite
    view. No need to be rude, since we're only exchanging ideas. :cool:

    Chris H., Jul 24, 2005
  7. Will

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    And the market for large screen 17" tablet PCs is probably about 2 people.
    And those two people aren't willing to fork out $10000 for their tablets.

    Cheers
    Ken

    --
    IIS Blog: www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/
    Web: www.adopenstatic.com

    : On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 16:54:47 -0700, "Chris H." <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >If you're a sports coach and want to show your charges a play to use,
    would
    : >you want a unit it takes two hands to hold? How do you draw a diagram of
    : >play?...
    :
    : You missed the point -- I'll try to make it simpler.
    :
    : Different people have different needs.
    :
    : Different form factors have different advantages and disadvantages.
    :
    : Some people can work most effectively with a letter-size tablet
    : computer.
    :
    : Some people could work most effectively with a computer that fits in a
    : pocket, even though it has less screen space.
    :
    : Some people could work most effectively with a computer that has more
    : screen space (and other features), even though it isn't portable.
    :
    : And there is no reason why a person who needs a larger, nonportable
    : computer can't need tablet capability in the same machine.
    :
    : Clear now?
    :
    : My email address is LLM041103 at earthlink dot net.

    Ken Schaefer, Jul 25, 2005
  8. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    One doesn't need to go to a 17-inch Tablet PC just for 1280x1024. That's
    what I run on a Toshiba M200. The newer editions of Tablets have more
    flexibility in resolution than two and a half years ago when Tablets were
    new to the scene.

    To me, a larger screen isn't necessary because in operation a Tablet is
    closer to the user than a laptop or desktop.

    Chris H., Jul 25, 2005
  9. Those are the people that currently carry their entire desktop around with
    them. For everyone else a 14" screen is about at the limit of tolerance for
    carrying around with you at over 6 pounds.

    James Kendrick, Jul 25, 2005
  10. The big difference is the Tablet PC is actually designed to be carried
    around which in itself limits the size and weight of tolerance.

    James Kendrick, Jul 25, 2005
  11. Will

    Mickey Segal Guest

    There are different motivations for getting Tablet PCs:
    1. Some people want a Tablet to be able to use a computer on the go and not
    have to fuss with a keyboard.
    2. Some people want a computer with pen input.

    The message of Microsoft's initial marketing of Tablets was #2, but I agree
    with James Kendrick that for many people #1 is far more important, and
    Microsoft has come around to evangelize this approach and the small hardware
    that comes with it (James Kendrick was one of the voices urging this
    approach). However, drawing on a computer is really helpful in some
    situations (though a bother in others) and one would expect to see some
    computers aimed towards #2.

    This is not one of those situations where only one answer is right.
    Different people have different needs and one would expect to see some large
    Tablets for them as well as intermediate Tablets for others. Apple has a
    variety of laptop sizes, from 12 inch to 17 inch:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?family=PowerBook
    I bet when Apple finally does a Tablet they will add hardware that is even
    smaller than this range, as companies such as Motion Computing are doing for
    Tablet PCs.

    Mickey Segal, Jul 25, 2005
  12. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    Just curious, Mickey. What is the difference between your #1 and #2? If
    you don't have a keyboard, what is the best way of input? A pen? :cool: I
    think I know what you meant, but perhaps not what you said. Hehehehe!

    <snipped>

    Chris H., Jul 25, 2005
  13. Will

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I am describing different motivations. Someone who wants to use a computer
    on the go will favor a small Tablet, while someone wanting to draw on a
    computer but not carry it around much will favor a large or jumbo tablet.
    The different motivations suggest different computer sizes.

    Mickey Segal, Jul 25, 2005
  14. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    Ah! Okay. I didn't catch the thought behind the selections. :cool: Thanks,
    Mickey.

    Chris H., Jul 25, 2005
  15. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    I'm going to disagree with your analysis, Will. The portability of Tablet
    PCs is paramount. Only recent entries into the market have emerged pushing
    five pounds, and they're more like a "hybrid" in that the form factor has a

    The "true" Tablet PC is under four pounds (with a couple under three) and
    are all meant to be highly portable, usable while held in one hand as the
    user does what Tablets do best - using the pen. The Motion LS800 is an
    example of a Tablet PC morphing into yet another useful form factor.

    Laptops, with the rare exception of a few mid-five-pounders now, have always
    been destined for a table top somewhere, with the screen forming a barrier
    in front of the user. I've got a "lightweight" Sony Vaio which is about
    four years old which pushes eight pounds. A Tablet PC convertible model you
    can use in "laptop mode" seated at a table, but resting on your thighs. You
    don't use a laptop like that unless you want to put your legs to sleep. :cool:

    Which Tablet PC do you own, Will?

    Chris H., Jul 26, 2005
  16. Will

    terri Guest

    Bill Gates' vision is to see the Tablet OS on all portable computers, not
    just Tablet PCs. Acer released a notebook that ran the Tablet OS, although
    the screen didn't pivot.

    I can also see the usefulness of the Tablet PC operating system on desktops
    for some users, especially those who do extensive markups. Editing or
    reviewing would be a prime example.

    Even simple e-mail can take on a new dimension when a sender can highlight
    specific areas of a Web page for example, before sending it to a friend or
    colleague

    Although people's visions may differ in usefulness, what one finds
    completely unusable, another may find necessary.
    --
    Terri Stratton
    Editor / Owner
    http://thetabletpc.net
    http://themediacenterpc.net
    Microsoft Featured Communities
    Microsoft Windows MVP - Tablet PC
    ..

    terri, Jul 26, 2005
  17. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    Oh, I'm sorry, Will. I think you're at a distinct disadvantage of not
    having a Tablet PC, and may have some misconceptions of exactly what a
    Tablet PC is. I think if you could spend two or three days immersed in
    Tablet usage you'd see what is so attractive about them. :cool:

    At the present time, I believe there is only one manufacturer which offers
    any form of touch screen, with the vast majority of the products being
    digitized screens. Even the touch screen version has both that and
    digitized screen, so the user can switch back and forth. They're a lot
    different than a PPC, for instance. The screens have a much different feel,
    too, more like a pencil on paper now.

    I think the only way you'd find you don't really need the 1600x1200
    resolution is by using a Tablet PC for a while. As I've said before,
    Tablets are unlike any other computer and you use them differently, closer
    than others. Like I've described, they're more like a friendly paperback
    book than a stodgy hardbound copy. :cool:

    Chris H., Jul 26, 2005
  18. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    It is a ruggedized model, Will. I'm talking about a regular Tablet PC which
    is much thinner, much lighter. :cool:

    Chris H., Jul 26, 2005
  19. Will

    Chris H. Guest

    Nope. Sorry if I veered off a bit. The lighter, the better, methinks. :cool:

    Chris H., Jul 26, 2005
  20. The user who wants a large display can continue to use a desktop or large
    screen notebook with a digitizing tablet and have a robust pen input
    experience. There are a lot of programs that are optimized for such a setup
    and many people have been using them happily for years. This is why I was
    saying a giant Tablet PC is not really necessary nor likely to appear on the
    market. The Tablet PC market is definitely into mobility and portability.

    James Kendrick, Jul 26, 2005