Anyone Make 17 Inch Widescreen Tablet?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Will, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. Will

    terri Guest

    Just as with Tablet PCs, it looks as though there is a wide variety in
    opinions about the sizes that should be offered. Doesn't make anyone right
    or wrong, we just have a different outlook on things.

    I don't expect to see any 17" or larger Tablets in the near future. The
    cost of the screen alone makes that pretty unfeasible. I wouldn't be
    surprised to see them if the technology changes and the full screen
    digitizer becomes an overlay.

    While many of us thought that the sizes for most Tablet PCs would be getting
    smaller, some of the bigger Tablet players went larger, moving from 12" to
    14" and adding optical drives, etc. 3 years ago, I wouldn't have expected
    to see that, so I'm not making any guesses as to what the next 3 years may
    bring. :)

    Smaller? I'd bet on it. Even larger? I wouldn't hazard a guess.
    --
    Terri Stratton
    Editor / Owner

    terri, Jul 26, 2005

  2. That's true- Eric Mack has told me he wants a 17" Tablet. :)

    James Kendrick, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Will

    Guest Guest

    You might be pleased to hear the recently at WinHEC 2005 Microsoft announced
    that 150 dpi at 1920x1080 resolutions are ideal for Windows Longhorn
    (Windows Vista) Aero interface.

    Guest, Jul 31, 2005
  4. I posted this a few days ago but it never showed up. Also now I see this on
    Engadget (I know it's not a Tablet PC so please do not insert the standard
    disclaimer):

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000080052491/

    - Message that did not post -

    I think the best thing about Tablet PC's is that there are so many different
    form factors to choose from. I would personally never buy anything bigger
    than 12" but I am a developer so resolution is very important to me.

    For that reason, I have a brilliantly beautiful Dell 24" Widescreen LCD at
    1920x1200 which I can dock the Tablet PC up to when I'm at my desk and then
    on the go I'll live with 1024x768. My eyesight ain't the greatest either so
    I don't know if I could handle a high resolution 12" screen.

    But different strokes (no pun intended) for different folks. I, for one,
    welcome the variety of form factors. These larger tablets have been getting
    people who are otherwise uninterested in tablets suddenly interested in
    them.

    Bring 'em on!

    Josh Einstein, Jul 31, 2005
  5. That's actually a really cool concept. Of course the type of work I do
    wouldn't go well with that but an artist or architect would probably love
    it.

    Josh Einstein, Aug 1, 2005
  6. Will

    Mickey Segal Guest

    When I was in college I would sit in a reclining chair with a wooden board
    that I would place over the arms of the chair, giving me a surface to work
    on. Such a reclining chair configuration may be even more attractive in
    your old age. One of the nice things about a tablet is that you can sit in
    a comfortable chair or on a sofa. With a tablet as a desk pad you are
    already starting out at a 45 degree angle from the screen.

    Mickey Segal, Aug 1, 2005
  7. Will

    undisclosed Guest

    I too greatly desire a 17 inch tablet with a bright, high quality
    display at 1920x1200 resolution. Instead, I opted for the Lenovo
    Thinkpad w700ds, which has a 17 inch monitor with a great display
    (considered by a few publications as the greatest EVER display in a
    laptop) and a wacom-tablet built in (on top of other features). It
    weighs 13 pounds when you include the power brick, and saying "Oh, it's
    not portable, though!" is bull**** because I carry it with me
    everywhere. If it were a 17 inch tablet I would be happier though.

    undisclosed, Jan 23, 2010
  8. does your use for it have to run on battery power?

    I ask since there are a number of touch screen pc's that meet the 17"
    requirement and are the format and size of a tablet.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Jan 23, 2010
  9. Will

    undisclosed Guest

    The battery actually lasts a good 3 hours on low-power mode if yo
    don't use the second screen

    undisclosed, Jan 23, 2010