    Wondering if anyone replaced the heatsink/fan and overclocked it ?

    A little slower ram but should be good for the money compared to all
    the $270 cards.

    wrabbit, Dec 10, 2007

  2. A few were briefly available on NewEgg, but I waffled a few hours too
    long and they went <Poof!> The Powercolor offering looks appealing with
    the high end 'flower' style cooler.

    This looks very promising:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166623

    It seems the 3850 is set to run at lower voltage than the '70. Tweaking
    the power to '70 levels works wonders for the '50.

    One brave fellow has his running well at 1GHz. The voltage he's using
    is far above 3870 levels and seems pretty hot for a 55nm chip. IMO,
    he'll probably fry the thing sooner than later, but it's fun to see the
    magic 'G.'

    -Moo

    Greg Campbell, Dec 10, 2007

  3. GeCube sells the 3850 (512 MB) with another cooler (looks similar to the
    3870 version, also uses 2 slots) and overclocks directly.
    I've got the Sapphire 2850 (512 MB) and just tested overclocking a bit -
    memory seems to take another 100 MHz with no issue at all; GPU was at its
    limit much earlier (around 40 MHz more?), so I stayed at the original
    settings for now.

    Christian

    Christian Ewald, Dec 19, 2007